The Jurassic World series Retcons Trespasser and JP the game

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

The Jurassic World series Retcons Trespasser and JP the game

Post by glitchhunter09 »

We all know this of course, but it still annoys me nonetheless. What are your thoughts on the Jurassic World movies retconning certain lore from video games released before it?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: The Jurassic World series Retcons Trespasser and JP the

Post by TheIdiot »

glitchhunter09 wrote:We all know this of course, but it still annoys me nonetheless. What are your thoughts on the Jurassic World movies retconning certain lore from video games released before it?
Well, to be fair, I didn't think the Telltale game had a great story or ideas to begin with. The only things I really liked were the areas which the game added to the island which are unseen in the movie (Boneshaker, Field Lab, tunnels, Marine Facility), since they all felt like things which could potentially exist in an unfinished state. I certainly don't think the Telltale game did anything quite as stupid as JW2, though.
Trespasser on the other hand couldn't have fit into the JP movies properly anyway to begin with, too much of its lore contradicts the movies since it uses a hodgepodge of ideas from the novels and movies. Tres states that Jurassic Park happened in 1989, which is wrong if you go by evidence presented in the movies. However, that IS the year it happened in the novel.
Velociraptor Alfa
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by Velociraptor Alfa »

Both Masrani Global and Dinosaur Protection Group websites refers to at least some places and events from JPTG - so it's not like everything is lost.
"To defeat an enemy, you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art." - Grand Admiral Thrawn
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

glitchhunter09 wrote:We all know this of course, but it still annoys me nonetheless. What are your thoughts on the Jurassic World movies retconning certain lore from video games released before it?
Simple; The Jurassic World movies are not part of my canon, so I don't let it bother me :wink:
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I never considered any of the games to be canon, so it doesn't really bother me in general, but there was one thing:
I was annoyed that Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom changed John Hammond's middle name from Parker to Alfred. When I heard Eli Mills' line, I was all like: "WTF?! That's not his name." I think the middle name Parker was made canon in both Trespasser and a deleted scene from The Lost World. I don't see why they would change it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I was annoyed that Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom changed John Hammond's middle name from Parker to Alfred. When I heard Eli Mills' line, I was all like: "WTF?! That's not his name." I think the middle name Parker was made canon in both Trespasser and a deleted scene from The Lost World. I don't see why they would change it.
You would be correct there - Hammond's middle name is Alfred in the novel, Parker in the movie. All media in which Hammond is given a middle name up until now has his name as "Parker". I guess they thought they could just use Alfred because his name is never spoken on-screen, even though it's in that deleted scene which I generally consider to still be canon (which also mentions that the Isla Nublar facilities were destroyed prior to TLW, so there wouldn't be much left of Jurassic Park by the time of JW). I was unaware of this change, which now completely calls to question whether or not the JW series actually IS "canon" with the original series. That would indicate that there are several different canons:

- The original 3 movies (+ the Telltale game, which doesn't contradict anything in that series)
- The first movie and the JW series, with Lost World and JP3 being only secondary sources
- The novels
- JP1 novel combined with JP1 movie, Lost World, and Trespasser

Personally I like to just ignore what I don't like and keep what makes sense, so long as nothing contradicts anything else. The process of retconning everything as they did with the Star Wars Expanded Universe is stupid and shows a complete lack of care for the rest of the established universe.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

(Chaotician Drac) I quite think the lot of you vastly underestimate the timeline variation present before and now in Jurassic reality but that's just my two cents--
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:(Chaotician Drac) I quite think the lot of you vastly underestimate the timeline variation present before and now in Jurassic reality but that's just my two cents--
Well, if you break it all down, the only timelines which really add up without any major flaws are those of the novels. The JPOG movie canon is an utter disaster. One year the Telltale Game is canon, the next we find out it didn't really happen, but the Isla Nublar mountain is still called Sibo despite just learning that nothing else from it is true...ultimately, the guy who pieces all this stuff together is going to have to keep making changes and retcons because Universal is going to be making these movies until the end of time.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

....Exactly. 8)
Mof1234567890
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Mof1234567890 »

It’s not a retcons.
Trespasser was not canon from the beginning, because it’s take place in the alternate timeline where books and movies merge. Jurassic Park: The Game only canon to the first JP movie and The Lost World, and personally I never considered this game to be a canon. Also, about Hammond’s name - I was also shocked, that in the JW his middle name “Alfred”. But, his middle name “Parker” was only used in The Lost World deleted scene (which is not canon to timeline) and Trespasser (and again, no way we can consider Trespasser to be in movies canon). Jurassic World just expand movies universe, and there is no total retcons (like in Alien franchisee or Terminator). Let’s not forget that movies universe is nowhere near the video games universe or books universe.
I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I don't think the script writers watched the deleted scenes in TLW. Probably didn't occur to them to check. And keep in mind, Trespasser was meant to be the digital sequel to TLWJP.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Is there a list of inaccuraties between Jurassic Park / The Lost World and Trespasser, or is it mostly just the dates/years that differ? Wondering if I can make it work (make it canon) for myself :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Trespasser was not canon from the beginning, because it’s take place in the alternate timeline where books and movies merge. Jurassic Park: The Game only canon to the first JP movie and The Lost World, and personally I never considered this game to be a canon. Also, about Hammond’s name - I was also shocked, that in the JW his middle name “Alfred”. But, his middle name “Parker” was only used in The Lost World deleted scene (which is not canon to timeline) and Trespasser (and again, no way we can consider Trespasser to be in movies canon). Jurassic World just expand movies universe, and there is no total retcons (like in Alien franchisee or Terminator). Let’s not forget that movies universe is nowhere near the video games universe or books universe.
That's all true. I'd argue that there isn't really a specific canon to the Jurassic Park franchise at all, since it is constantly changing - for instance, how originally all of the cloning equipment and labs were quite clearly on Isla Nublar until Lost World was written and a second island was introduced. Why would they even bother having such a large, clearly functioning and well-staffed lab if it was only for show? I find the way they constantly write themselves around potential roadblocks in the JP franchise in order to keep making movies and adding new stuff to be quite crafty, but not especially clever.
wrote:I don't think the script writers watched the deleted scenes in TLW. Probably didn't occur to them to check. And keep in mind, Trespasser was meant to be the digital sequel to TLWJP.
Technically, it failed just by having the island be so different, since we see several maps of Isla Sorna in Lost World. I wonder if the Tres devs saw the movie at all prior to release?
Is there a list of inaccuraties between Jurassic Park / The Lost World and Trespasser, or is it mostly just the dates/years that differ? Wondering if I can make it work (make it canon) for myself :P
Off the top of my head, in no particular order:
- Isla Sorna is completely the wrong shape in Tres, due to it using Cocos Islands for its geography. This error is also continued in the Telltale game, where a map of Sorna from the novel is shown on a screen.
- Jurassic Park could not have taken place in 1989: how could there be 1992 Jeep Wranglers and Ford Explorers? Most sources indicate that it was meant to open in either 1992 or 1993.
- Tres' version of the Worker Village/Town is very different from the movie, matching the original plans for a much larger town more closely.
- Tres includes a complete Geothermal Plant, whereas the Village is powered by its own small geothermal station in the movie.

I'm sure there are more specific ones, but those are the most obvious to me.