New to forum

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

spacemanjupiter
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

New to forum

Post by spacemanjupiter »

I played this game when it was first released back in 98. Fell in love with it and was completely amazed by it for various reasons. Nothing impressed me as much as this game, not even half-life. I was pretty new to pc gaming but was catching on pretty quick. I realized this game had implemented physics somehow and it’s really what made the game for me. I didn’t care how clumsy it was at times. I knew this would be a big part of future gaming. I ran this on a 233mhz pentium with 64MB ram and that may have been before I even got a GeForce 2 mx. I had a riva 128 with 4MB of onboard. I remember having to play this game in either a 640x480 window in the middle of the screen (because I hated scaling and found a 1:1 pixel ratio nice and sharp) or it could have been a 320x 240 window, to get playable frame rates. It was tiny but I didn’t even care. I’d never had such an amazing experience with a game and was pretty depressed when it was over with. I took my time going through the game and explored and grabbed everywhere and everything I could. I was methodical in dealing with the dinos and found the game terrifying as hell because you could die so easy. Anyone else that went all the way through that game deserves a medal.

I have an original retail disc and had to copy the contents to the Hdd to get it to install on windows 10. Installed CE and played with the ini. I was quite surpised and happy to see that after playing around a little I got it to run at a nice and consistent 60fps @ 1080 with vsync and AA. No stuttering. Looks as good as I could ask for. Super happy to be able to play the game again and at a higher fidelity. I might disable texture filtering to get that old pixelated look again though.

If anyone has tips on anything they want to suggest I’m all ears. One thing that I always wanted to see improved was lod. Those old super pixelated bitmaps suddenly popping into low res models and then higher res as they come closer. I’d like to push those higher level models so they come in earlier in the distance. Is there a way to do that?

I’ve had a little dream for years now of trying to recreate at least one level from the game in a newer engine, from scratch. All models, textures, scripting and animation from scratch, but somehow keeping in the arm/hand control and all the physics, just refined and easier to play. I spent around 800 dollars on courses from Udemy.com for 3D modeling, animation, rigging, programming, and unreal engine. I just jumped into it all a couple of weeks ago. I saw that some others have been working on this type of thing too but I don’t think I have found anything playable yet. As I learn and create I will come here for advice. It’s good to see a forum dedicated to this game considering it didn’t do so well commercially. It was just ahead of its time.
Lee Arbuco
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: New to forum

Post by Lee Arbuco »

If you look in the "doc\configs" directory of CE you'll see "trespasser_dx9-hq.ini" which is a sample ini file with higher quality settings, including pushing back the lod distance. Or you could just manually increase CacheMinDist to only push back lod distance.

(Heads up since you're on Win10, if you do copy the setting from "trespasser_dx9-hq.ini", it might require disabling the "Enable10bitDisplay" setting. Win10 might not always like that.)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wellcome -2- TrezCom.

There was a semi-finished mod of Tres in another engine, only the beach and a little beyond it.. I saw a youtube video of some dude playing it, but I can't seem to find the vid. Not sure if anyone else remembers. It was the one with additional structures put into the original layout, such as some sort of hotel looking thing up high.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Welcome!

As mention above, for the LOD distance, follow Lee's instruction.

As for another engine. There are and have been other projects to port Trespasser over. However, AFAIK models and textures have not be redone for them. Keep us updated :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Xer06siX
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Xer06siX »

Welcome, and glad to see another Unreal Engine creator here. Cheers!