Carnivore Neck Physics

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Carnivore Neck Physics

Post by PsychologicalDevice »

I looked this up in search but never got a straight answer.

I was wondering if you could give carnivores the "neck" physics that could have possibly been given to Brachiosaurus, and was used in both the old builds Triceratops and the Triceratops made here via JPOG model I believe. I'm asking because the raptor and Rex bend their heads in unusual ways when behaving with previously unactivated behaviors, like Howl in particular. The neck is curving where clearly only the head was meant to, leaving the model to get stuck in a physics box.

So yeah, I was just wondering if this was or was not possible. I tried but it didn't show up in GUIAPP or anything.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Carnivore Neck Physics

Post by machf »

The Physics box named "Neck" is just a synonym for "Head"...

As for necks bending in unusual ways, well, it's probably due to skin vertices not being assigned to the proper bones...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

machf wrote:The Physics box named "Neck" is just a synonym for "Head"...

As for necks bending in unusual ways, well, it's probably due to skin vertices not being assigned to the proper bones...
I'm just trying to work with the old long clawed raptor model, and by itself its fairly easy for it to get trapped inside of itself.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TBH, that happens a lot with raptors in general... one of the more common glitches they suffer. Might or might not be more common with them.
PsychologicalDevice
Triceratops
Triceratops

Draconisaurus wrote:TBH, that happens a lot with raptors in general... one of the more common glitches they suffer. Might or might not be more common with them.
I don't know of a way to compare the two without just trying to test twenty runs with either and see which one gets trapped the easiest, but that sounds like a waste of time. I think it just looks worse with the older model because the neck of it is longer, so when it gets trapped...yeah, it looks worse than the boxier "pug" kind. I've seen the older model get stuck so bad its arms even got sucked into the "torso vortex" and it was just legs with a tail and a head. The tail also gets easily trapped.

It's pretty infuriating trying to rig this thing to work. I don't know if it's just the way the model is shaped, if it traps itself easier, or both.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That's "physics boxes' interpenetration"... one of the nastiest bugs in the Trespasser engine.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files