flickering foliage

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

flickering foliage

Post by Guest »

okay i turned off triple buffer and dithering, and that fixed a lot of problems, but now leaves and branches and the like flicker in and out of the game world. tree trunks and buildings and crates and other objects like that don't, just those branches and bushes and stuff... anyone know how to fix this?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Unfortunately, it appears to be a problem with newer cards. Just out of curiousity, how's your card's antialiasing set? Even though Direct3D uses it, I doubt that it has anything to do with problems, just curious.

(Mine happens to be off)
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

It happens to be a problem with trespasser itsself. It dosn't like the newer video cards, but sometimes you can fix this problem by rolling back you video drivers. And the reason this happens only to branches and plants it that they are only one sided, so if you look underneath a plant or tree you will see that it is not visable. It dose it too all objects but, since only some are one sided you don't see this disappearing effect.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Interesting, but I don't think that I agree with the conclusion that branches/leaves are one-sided. They're missing depth, perhaps, but the faces are there. If you're looking for a commonality then I'd say go with the fact that most of those objects use opacity mapped textures.

I'm no expert on this subject either, so it seems that several arguments have valid points --
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Something interesting. When I used to play on this box under Windows with my Gforce 128 mb DDR in hardware, I'd get N.C.S like crazy. Under Linux in hardware with the same card, no N.C.S anywhere. :?
smellron

Post by smellron »

i don't use anti-aliasing. i'm scared to try it and have it slow everything way down, so i just leave it off. oh and thanks for the tip, but i don't really want to roll back my driver just for trespasser. i guess i'll just live with it, or try software. btw, this is a geforce 4 ti 4200.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Dapper Dan wrote:....Under Linux in hardware with the same card, no N.C.S anywhere. :?
Dan, you sound disappointed! :mrgreen:

Smellron, (may I call you smellron? lol (apologies, I have been drinking!)) seems alot of people report the same problems with the G4. Eh, there's nothing wrong with playing in SW Mode, I just happen to like HW's appearance more.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

LOL! Having a scotch right now myself Rebel! I guess you could say I am disappointed. I have no NCS and beautifully rendered graphics in hardware which is equal to, and might even surpass anything I ever got running under Windows, and I can't enjoy it because of the freeze up problem associated with animate objects! What a pisser! :cry:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Dapper Dan wrote:What a pisser! :cry:
I thought that I was the only one who used that phrase!
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

It must be generational...

:lol:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, guys, all this recent talked has made me curious... How old are you, actually?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, I'm seventy five and I think Dan's about sixty eight. :P
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

machf, Rebel's being modest. We're both in out 60's..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And I thought I was getting old... (35)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

As I have quoted on this forum before, when famous baseball player Satchel Page was once asked by a reporter how old he was, he thought a moment and replied, "If ya didn't know how old ya was, how old would ya be?"

Actually I'm 46. Rebel is MUCH older... :)