Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

RaftPole

Post by tatu »

So I was exporting object from AS2 earlier today when I came across this weirdly named thing.
RaftPole.jpg
RaftPole.jpg (90.13 KiB) Viewed 13503 times
Raft pole. It can be found in the basement of AS2, both retail and build 96, and I haven't checked other levels for it. Have anyone else found this earlier?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: RaftPole

Post by TheIdiot »

Never seen that before, tatu. I assume this was what you were meant to pole around the lake-bottom with in IJ in the walkthrough, but why exactly it's in AS2 is a mystery. Might just be another case of weirdly exported objects, like the burned crates.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

You know, at first I was assuming this to be for some sort of unknown river raft, but now I'm thinking raft here might be short for "rafter" and could be about hunter camps..
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Looks useful. Anyone planning to model a raft for this>?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:You know, at first I was assuming this to be for some sort of unknown river raft, but now I'm thinking raft here might be short for "rafter" and could be about hunter camps..
I'm 99% certain this is the pole for the raft mentioned in the walkthrough, take a look:
Lake
When Anne gets through the gaps in the forest, the hillside will slope down to the side of a large flooded bend in the valley. Something must have dammed up the stream bed during some previous rainy season, causing what used to be a small pond at the base of a waterfall to expand into this huge expanse of water. Luckily, when the hunters were on the island, a small party which had been separated after the raptor attack had time to fashion a quick raft which they intended to use to cross the lake, but something must have eaten them before they had the chance, because the raft and the long steel pole they had intended to use are still at the edge of the water.
Why exactly it is in AS2 is beyond me though since the Lake was clearly supposed to be in IJ, at the bend where the Rex is encountered in retail.
Looks useful. Anyone planning to model a raft for this>?
Possibly, once I get around to Industrial Jungle HD, as I plan on including the Lake and Swamp... :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heyyyy hadn't thought of that... :| :batman: Cool IJ object Tatu has found.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Heyyyy hadn't thought of that... :| :batman: Cool IJ object Tatu has found.
Also, in regards to this area (the bend in the valley with the waterfall and Rex and then the area where the Raptor Canyon is in retail) being the Lake and Swamp - I've managed to confirm it. The little patches of elevated terrain in the Raptor Canyon area of the PCGamer version of IJ are labelled "swamp patch" or something like that, meaning that the valley where the Rex is encountered in Retail was the Lake - hence the big open area with a lake texture covering it in PCGamer - and the area that opens up just after the Lake gets narrow is the Swamp. The rock steps were also definitely meant to be included through development as they are present in the walkthrough and made it into retail. I guess what happened was they created the area that would house the Lake and Swamp, then realized their water would probably break the game if it covered that much area, so they instead repurposed it and expanded the Blighted Forest mentioned in the walkthrough into this area instead, moving it out of the end of IJ1. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:| Wow TI, that is a beautiful analysis. Def. going to keep it in mind for future modding.
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

The "IJ2" area in the PCGamer version reminds me, of The Lost World novel (M. Crichton); very cool looking place.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Derrr yes... I myself find it to be reminiscent of the raptor nests he describes. Sort of nasty, disorganized dirt mounds and such. Should make a mod with that in it some time..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

HaroldRedwood wrote:The "IJ2" area in the PCGamer version reminds me, of The Lost World novel (M. Crichton); very cool looking place.
Originally, it seems they planned for the Town Hall in IT to actually house a Raptor nest. Anne's lines, "What's that smell?..like a barn..." and "Oh god, it's a nest." were meant to be used here, and I believe the hole in the floor in the center of the Town Hall was where the nest itself was supposed to be located. The area in PCGamer's IJ2 looks to be, as I said above, an extension of the "blighted forest" concept mentioned in the walkthrough, which was to come at the end of IJ1's gorge section.
Draconisaurus wrote:Derrr yes... I myself find it to be reminiscent of the raptor nests he describes. Sort of nasty, disorganized dirt mounds and such. Should make a mod with that in it some time..
I *might* have plans for something along those lines... :wink:
Perhaps a 1.5 Week mod is in order, themed around a Raptor nest?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Perhaps a 1.5 Week mod is in order, themed around a Raptor nest?
Always possible. Have some Turok stuff in mind, might put it in there.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:Perhaps a 1.5 Week mod is in order, themed around a Raptor nest?
Always possible. Have some Turok stuff in mind, might put it in there.
Maybe, though when I think Turok, I don't really remember there being a Raptor nest at any point in any of the first four...Turok to me is more about platforming and the human enemies, there are hardly any dinosaurs at all in the older games. But a Turok level sounds awesome! I've thought of doing a Turok mod as well - once got around to recreating the first level of Turok: Evolution, but all I made was some rough terrain...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm interesting. The Turok mod I have in mind is more based on the classic comic books. :nerd:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmm interesting. The Turok mod I have in mind is more based on the classic comic books. :nerd:
Oh, really? Did the comics come before the game? I've never really seen much of them past JPDS...