Jurassic Time: New E3 Edition

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Jurassic Time: New E3 Edition

Post by scallenger »

First off, for those who do not know what Jurassic Time is or haven't heard it in some time, check out the latest edition right here.

I almost can't believe I am typing these words, but here they are: I plan to do an all-new edition of Jurassic Time. Because, you know, 3.5 times (the latest "Gold" edition is identical to the prior "Annotated" version, sans the annotated tracks with the addition of a new open/close) just wasn't enough! :o :lol:

With the help of the TresCom Ops, I have discovered that all of the John Hammond dialogue that was recorded for the game, present in the E3 Stream.TPA files, is featured WITHOUT ECHO! Yeah, that's right. It does not feature the degraded quality or reverb that was applied for both Retail and Beta96. Though not perfect quality, it sounds crisp, clear, and... well just hear the comparison for yourself!

RETAIL HAMMOND

E3 HAMMOND

Quite a difference.

The same few tracks that had minor sound effects mixed in (such as "In May the rains came..." with rain effects) are still present as they are, but the big difference is that those are in STEREO! The only dialogue that is identical in quality to the Retail/Beta96 are the diary "luncheon" entries, sadly (the same muted/old effects applied).

This brings me to my dilemma... what to do next? Since there still could be more Trespasser goodies in store for us sooner rather than later, real work won't be done on a new edition immediately in case something better comes about. Either way, a new edition is clearly imminent with what we now have. Given this will be my 4th time working on this project from almost scratch, I thought I would first ask, at least, what would all of you prefer to see?

[Poll closed]
Victorasaurusrex
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Re: Jurassic Time: New E3 Edition Poll

Post by Victorasaurusrex »

The poll is shouting at me, saying that the submitted form is invalid... Not sure what to make of that. Could the fact that I made a new account just for this have anything to do with it...?

In any case, I adore Jurassic Time, and in all honesty, I'm really not sure. I definitely think that sometimes the sound effects - and the echo, for that matter - added to the atmosphere, but other moments they were overdone. For example at the raptor attack (I think), I always got rather shaken up, and turned down my volume because I thought it was overdone.
So on one hand I think it's fine like this, on the other I'd love a version a bit more 'mellow' or even a version without SFX completely (just music). I think I would mostly prefer a version with more minor SFX.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Thank you so much for your input and comments! :) It means a lot. Not sure why the poll isn't working, but maybe one of the other devs may know.

Yeah, I actually agree with you on the raptor effects, in fact most of that track entirely (although I still love having edited in that "electronic device" bit where it increases with the music when no dialogue is happening). I will say I was already leaning toward your desire of having it just with less SFX, since with even the E3 files, there will still be those particular lines that will have SFX no matter what. That is unless we get something else like an earlier alpha or sessions that doesn't have them.

You can actually hear which tracks have SFX edited into them in the game by listening to Version 2.0 on the site.
Victorasaurusrex
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Victorasaurusrex »

At one point your thing actually got me to look into making a compilation of this stuff myself, but I died when I went through all the file-libraries. I loved the beeping that came with your raptor-thingy by the way, and that suited it really well, along with the silence that followed. The music was overdone in certain places, though, and for example in the part where they're coming in through the sewers I also tend to feel... Not sure how to put it, but I don't love it :P
Overall though, I already love it as it is, I've got a full 50-minute version on my phone which I sometimes listen to before sleeping (and due to that while sleeping as well), and I love it. It feeds my Jurassic Park obsession.
Appreciate all the love and work, and probably pain, you're putting into it! :D
tatu
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Victorasaurusrex: about the echos. I personally like them, but these new ones will allow for example Derrick to edit them himself so they would actually fit better with the music and such. :)

Or are you planning on having them all unchanged for it Derrick?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Victorasaurusrex wrote:The music was overdone in certain places, though, and for example in the part where they're coming in through the sewers I also tend to feel... Not sure how to put it, but I don't love it :P
Yeah, I think a good portion of that track was overdone, and perhaps a couple music choices could have been altered a bit. The sound effects I still think I definitely went overboard on the entire raptor parts, and most of the dinosaur bits in general. I think I got over-excited and just really wanted to showcase it, when it kind of went out of character of the feel of the memoir as a whole. That's why my general idea right now is to still use some dinosaur sounds during that part, but much more "faded into the background" and not "in your face" except in that beeping moment I mentioned earlier, which actually makes sense because it is meant to scare you and it does not compete with his dialogue.
tatu wrote:Victorasaurusrex: about the echos. I personally like them, but these new ones will allow for example Derrick to edit them himself so they would actually fit better with the music and such. :)

Or are you planning on having them all unchanged for it Derrick?
I think we are all just so used to the echos, honestly. Haha. ;) I mean, it has been the ONLY way to hear the dialogue for almost 20 years. Hearing it without the echo sounds a lot more like film-John Hammond than before, since his voice sounds more normal and clear. You can hear the nuances in his tone far better, and I think for this version I really don't want to mess with it at all. The most I will do is do a VERY light static cleanup, but that is only if it doesn't mix perfectly with the music/sfx.

I think some of the Retail echo versions of dialogue will make a cameo in the opening track, however. I currently plan to redo the Gold edition's opening track, perhaps, to be similar but just have it be the echo versions. Then when it starts with "My name is John Parker Hammond" it is suddenly all clear for the duration.

If you also meant to split a single line of dialogue to better fit the music, I have done that at times ever since Annotated/Gold. So that hasn't really changed for me.
Asjad
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Asjad »

Id say go for it and dont wait for more stuff to come out - when and if it does then uodate to a new version! With trespasser...new stuff coming out soon could mean tomorrow or 20 years from now.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Well, thing is unfortunately I don't quite have all the time and energy to do this so frequently like I used to. Editing JT together WELL is a time-consuming process. And despite being excited for the upgrade in voice quality, this project still is taking a back seat for something else I have been working on for some time that is getting close to completion, as well as a secret Jurassic Park-related "article event" that will honestly blow everyone away. Hint: it involves the first film only, and includes information on how it was made that no one has ever seen or known about. I honestly get excited just thinking about it all at once, because it is incredibly EPIC.

Unlike the past editions, this one is honestly the least exciting to tackle since it is essentially me just doing the same thing I did before... again. There's no new dialogue or music to play with, I've already done it with sound effects and other bonus tracks... there's only so much I can do that I haven't already done for it. Truly, this edition is more of an obligation to myself, because I know I won't sleep soundly if I don't update it with these upgraded voices. Because, isn't his voice telling the story THE essential bit to the whole thing? I mean, I honestly think people will understand what he says a lot better now, since his voice comes through that much clearer without it being blurred by echo and as much digital artifacts.

This isn't to say I won't be putting my heart into it. There are other little things I may change to at least spice it up for myself, or fix some things I thought were mistakes last time, such as some already noted in this thread regarding SFX and music use. It WON'T be exactly the same as before, that I can assure everyone. There's no way it could be, which is kind of an endearing thing about every edition (minus the Gold, to an extent): they are all unique. For some reason, one of my biggest personal mistakes in my last two editions was my use of the shattered mug sound effect when Hammond talks about dropping the mug. I have been dying to either change the placement of that effect or remove it entirely, because I have for some reason grown to despise how I put that bit in. In fact, that whole track seems badly paced to me somehow, compared to how it has been done before. I really think I was on an off-day when I edited that one together, and for some reason thought it was initially okay, so I am determined to get it right this time. I think my big concern with sound effects hampered some of my usual judgement last time.

I definitely am not going to wait years to do this, even with that looming thought that now it seems like there COULD be possible actual recording sessions somewhere. But given the notion that there IS more to come sooner rather than later, I think waiting out a bit longer is still a good idea. But it IS ready to go. I updated my files and scripts for the new Hammond voice audio (a much more time consuming process than usual), and it is already all separated and in order, ready to be edited. For this one I am still not setting a date for the obvious reasons mentioned, but I will just assure you all that you will get it before the next Jurassic Park movie. That's about as good of a promise as I can make right now, although in my head I am sure it will be done much sooner than that.

I should add that while this poll and thread is helpful in me determining my options for this edition, it is not and end-all be-all for how it will turn out. The only things I know for sure are that the "Petticoat Lane" and "Life Will Find A Way" bonus film tracks will still be part of it and not be re-done, and the Annotated tracks with the fan creation of Thomas Hammond will NOT be included (but you can still get those tracks in the site's archives). The Excavated book will also likely not be re-done, unless I decide to change some order of the dialogue this time. I guess I will end this post with a question on that:

Does anyone have a problem with the order of any dialogue, as heard in the Gold edition of JT? Remember: there is no confirmed order for ANY of the dialogue, and given the story's fragmented state, there never really was.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I want to say here - I LIKE the mug shattering sound effect :yum: It is cool and makes sense. Don't remember it well enough to say if I think it should be redone somehow.
Terra_Rex
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Terra_Rex »

Hi. Just wanted to pop in to give my two cents for the new edition. I recently listened the Jurassic Time Gold edition probably a 10th time at work and I noticed some little things that may be edited a little.
  • During the chapter 7 - Rulers Of The Island when the dinosaurs are presented the raptor's and T-Rex's foot stomp sounds are a little overbearing. They probably could be removed or toned down.
  • At chapter 9 - Shattering Of A Dream during Hammond's dialogue there's a weird pacing issue:
"...on televison news or in the tabloids. Bankruptcy. I leaned against the wall. My whole body shook."
  • I think it would have more dramatic impact with small pauses:
"...on televison news or in the tabloids. (PAUSE) Bankruptcy. (PAUSE) I leaned against the wall. My whole body shook."

So yeah. Those are the small thing that could be improved :) Personally I love the echo in Hammond's voice. Like a voice from the past echoing in my ears. When the Jurassic World was about to come out I so hoped that parts of the dialogue would appear in the movie. It would've been a better send-off than a quick glimpse of the statue during the first third of the movie. Have you tried to market this to the producers of Jurassic World sequel? Maybe they could put it in there ;)
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Thank you very much for your comments and input! I honestly agree with everything you said. My plan is to honestly remove the footsteps for both the raptor and the rex. Anything that is too overbearing against Hammond's voice will either be lowered or removed completely. So far the footsteps are the only things definitely being removed.

Heh, yeah the pacing in that track overall... *hangs head*... like I said earlier, I really think I had an off-day when I made that whole track. I thought about even replacing it, with no real announcement, at some point because it bugged me so much overall. I still don't know why I thought it was passable. Definitely something I am now looking forward to revisiting.

As for the shattering mug bit, I think I will keep it, have it be like this:

I dropped the mug. *SHATTER SOUND* It shattered.

Haha, you guys all really love that echo don't you? :D Trust me, once you get used to hearing Hammond's voice like... a normal voice... you'll feel like he is telling the story directly to YOU. It's pretty awesome. ;) And yeah, they probably don't even have what we just extracted from the E3 demo! They probably didn't even have what we have had from the Retail version, honestly. I had a few chances for the Jurassic World filmmakers to know about Jurassic Time, but so far none have panned out, sadly. At the very least, I would have hoped if any of them were fans of Attenborough at all that they would give it a listen. Like I have said many times in the past, this is really my way of showcasing what I deem to be a great "lost performance". Think about it: a 30 minute monologue of pure John Hammond (longer with pauses and etc in my presentations). That's got to be more dialogue than both films combined, right? And unlike most video games using actors, where like Minnie Driver as Anne she just reacts or interacts or injects minor backstory at random, this is a rare case of nothing but a pure, personal story being told. I think it's really special.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

While I still plan to do this new edition of Jurassic Time's John Hammond memoir, it is still on the backburner for a variety of reasons. One of the main reasons being...

It's time to finally spare no expense for Jurassic Time, and go beyond Hammond... go beyond Trespasser... go back to where it all began...
"Jurassic Time unearths the vast, long-forgotten ideas of Jurassic Park through exclusive memoirs and other content while paying ultimate homage to the legendary dreamer himself: John Parker Hammond."

Like and follow the Facebook page for the latest updates:

http://www.facebook.com/JurassicTimeMemoirs

Website updates soon:

http://jurassictime.trescom.org
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm unclear what you mean... Are you making new audio tracks using material from the first film?
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

The new "about" page should make it more clear:

http://jurassictime.trescom.org/about.html
"Jurassic Park had groundbreaking special effects" is a phrase often heard when discussing the film. So often, in fact, that it seems to overshadow almost everything else about its production. As beautifully detailed and complex the computer graphics and animatronics were, there was so much more that captured the imagination of its viewers. The idea of a park filled with dinosaurs, and the complexities behind it, plagued the minds of its vast audience.

The basic premise of Steven Spielberg's film, based upon Michael Crichton's novel, made the filmmakers work overtime in detailing just how unique it could be. Many ideas were considered, existing in a limbo between the novel and the film that scarcely anyone knew about. This exploratory phase of pre-production was casually skimmed over with little details in most of the film's official literature and documentaries.

This site hopes to change all that.

"Jurassic Time" has a dual meaning. For online Jurassic Park fans of the last decade, they may recall it as the title of an audiobook-style memoir for John Parker Hammond (the fictional creator of Jurassic Park); using exhumed files of a failed computer game with actual dialogue from actor Richard Attenborough. Its main purpose was to rescue a performance from being lost to time. That same purpose is now applied to a myriad of files and memoirs I have inscribed on these incredible ideas the filmmakers had for the original film. "Jurassic: Uneathed" showcases just what ideas could have been realized if they had survived through production. Ideas for all of us to ponder over, and wonder.

Ideas that should not be lost to time.

I hope you enjoy the content of this site. It is here for all to be entertained and educated by. You may never look at Jurassic Park the same way again...