TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trespasser VR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:35 pm 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Hello! I am new to this community :)

Years ago I watched the legendary let's play of Trespasser by Research Indicates (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0058A651EB882B48), and have been fascinated by the game ever since. So ahead of its time with it's technology, but also in mechanics (recharging health) and presentation (audio logs!). Especially the somber atmosphere created by the voicework of Sir David Attenborough fascinated me.

A few days ago I got "Island 359" for my HTC Vive, which greatly reminded me of Trespasser (in all but atmosphere) - so until they get around to creating a proper campaign, I managed to get Trespasser running on my Macbook :)

And I have to say, so far the game is surprisingly playable! It is goofy and janky but not frustrating. I just wish there was a quick save, and working 3D acceleration.

I am also listening to the Jurassic Park Audio Book while playing, which keeps me entertained :)

Anyway, to the point of the title: Surely I am not the only one who would get a kick out of a straight port/mod/recreation of Trespasser into a VR game? :) I want the original graphics and janky physics, but in VR. With John Hammond whispering his life's story into my ears. ;) Is there any fan development going on in this regard?

Post subject: Re: Trespasser VR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:36 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Welcome, to Jurassic World. 8)

Goofy and janky but not frustrating... How odd - I would say Tres is often quite frustrating but not at all goofy or janky :P

JP Audio... Listened to that as a kid. Need to get back to it.. :|

Tres VR... I feel that developments in Tres VR are going to consist of a small number of non-senior members successfully playing it, telling us of their experience, and... not much else. It sounds quite cool but it lies outside the catagory of new mods or engine upgrades so long as VR remains.. only for the super-rich :yum:

Image Image T-Script Reference / Trespasser Twilight / JP Dark Secrets / Tres File Box

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:38 am 
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

I don't think I have seen goofier animations in a retail game then the Velociraptors in Trespasser ;)

And your noodle arm is just a riot. I get what they were trying to do, but I wonder why they didn't switch back to a traditional locked system at some point in development. They never use the system for anything, rotating your hand serves purely comedic value. Seems to me a more traditional fixed system would have saved them a lot of headaches (and development time better spent on other areas).

But of course the arm is what gives the game its distinctive character. Without it this game would have been quietly forgotten.

So far I am up to Level 4, and the game isn't frustrating, thanks to the generous weapon pickups and option to save anytime. Also the audiobook helps a lot to smooth over the long walks.

While I am at it, where can I get an overview of current fan projects? There seem to be a lot of them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:18 am 
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Hey, I have a vive and I am working on a trespasser fan game, maybe I could create a demo of sorts? :mrgreen:

It wouldn't take long, I would implement hand tools and give it objects to snap to or hold such as guns or melee then it would be a matter of just having some raptors around

My project pages:
http://www.facebook.com/intruderislasorna
http://www.facebook.com/intruderislanublar