Create a place we can dump 3d models for remakes?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

WideBoy
Parasaurus
Parasaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Create a place we can dump 3d models for remakes?

Post by WideBoy »

Oh yes was alive, was young though, first time i saw Jurassic Park was on LaserDisk and later on VHS, and that VHS got bad since i wathced it so much. So i am getting old :P

I was 8 when Jurassic Park was in the cinnemas. And somthing about that movie and universe stuck in me, Jurassic park and Star Wars are the only movie worlds ive loved since i saw them the first time and to now.

The VHS cover is the same horrid green collor the rental place I rented movies from as a kid used. They had the real covers on display, and when you gave that to the dude behind the counter you goth this super ugly cover with the video in it. It always kinda killed the "Movie High" since i couldt read and watch the pictures behind the cover in the backseat on the way home.

If you wondered about my age since i write as a child, its a mix of dyslexia and english not beeing my nativetounge.

The Idiot:

What is a good polucount aim for usage in the engine?
And how does the engine handle Bump/normalMaps?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

and that VHS got bad since i wathced it so much. So i am getting old :P
Haha, same thing happened to me, eventually the VHS player took the movie and wouldn't spit it out. That was the last time I ever watched something on VHS. :P I'd hardly call you old for watching anything on VHS, though, since it isn't really that old. I know people, including myself, who still used VHS until around 2005.
Well, the face limit in CE seems to be about 3072, so probably somewhere around 2500. And yes, normal maps are supported in CE, along with alpha channels for the normal map to make specular maps.
WideBoy
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by WideBoy »

Aaaaaah, you are using CryEngine, then shits pretty ready for your use, i test most of my assets in UE4, and those engines are pretty on the same level...arent they, the polycount on those Crays are 1850 Tri's. most of the detail are pure Normal and Bump Offsets, But i got one thats around 500 tri's.....made a new one just now since i thought you used the Trespasser engine, so made one thats alot simpler in shaper, here a pic:

Guess that was redundant, but hey, practice is always a good thing ey?
[Edit] Made the "seats" lower since it looked wrong when i took a second glance at em

If you want it just tell me what kinda PBR settings Cryengine uses for its materials, and il find a way to send it your way.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Aaaaaah, you are using CryEngine, then shits pretty ready for your use, i test most of my assets in UE4, and those engines are pretty on the same level...arent they, the polycount on those Crays are 1850 Tri's. most of the detail are pure Normal and Bump Offsets, But i got one thats around 500 tri's.....made a new one just now since i thought you used the Trespasser engine, so made one thats alot simpler in shaper, here a pic:
I think you're confused, I AM using the Trespasser engine for Tres HD. It's s1n31's Trespassing project that's using CryEngine. And 500 tris is great, that should work perfectly! When I'm saying CE, I mean Trespasser Custom Edition, not CryEngine. Didn't really think about that. :P
If you want it just tell me what kinda PBR settings Cryengine uses for its materials, and il find a way to send it your way.
Literally all I need are the model (in any format that I can get into 3DS Max, preferrably .3DS or .MAX), the textures and the normalmaps, and that's it, it's ready for Trespasser. :) You don't have to send it immediately though since I won't be working on the Lab level for a long time.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:I'd hardly call you old for watching anything on VHS, though, since it isn't really that old.
Are you kidding? VHS is practically as old as dinosaur bones... Sort of joke to see people trying to sell them sometimes.
I know people, including myself, who still used VHS until around 2005.
..Wait, they were already out of date by 2005? :sick:

:lol: :?
Well, the face limit in CE seems to be about 3072, so probably somewhere around 2500. And yes, normal maps are supported in CE, along with alpha channels for the normal map to make specular maps.
I just want to note that, when Lee showed us the new bumpmaps supported by CE... They are, rainbow-colored spectacles of unknown nature.., from my perspective. I've not a clue how to make something which looks like that and have it be functional.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I just want to note that, when Lee showed us the new bumpmaps supported by CE... They are, rainbow-colored spectacles of unknown nature.., from my perspective. I've not a clue how to make something which looks like that and have it be functional.
I generally just use a plugin for GIMP that converts an image to a normalmap, which gives you a very simple output that needs some tweaking to look good in the engine. Alternately you can draw the depth values in grayscale and then convert that for a more controlled and likely more realistic output, or render them straight from a high-poly model in 3DS Max. The GIMP thing is good if you're trying to make bumpmaps for a texture which you have no source for.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:
I generally just use a plugin for GIMP that converts an image to a normalmap, which gives you a very simple output that needs some tweaking to look good in the engine. Alternately you can draw the depth values in grayscale and then convert that for a more controlled and likely more realistic output, or render them straight from a high-poly model in 3DS Max. The GIMP thing is good if you're trying to make bumpmaps for a texture which you have no source for.
Beat me to it! Yes, there is software that makes the normalmaps for you, as simple as that.

Why do they look so oddly colored? Well, it's simple. Unlike Trespasser's original normalmaps (yes, Trespasser uses normalmaps internally, TresEd converts them to bumpmaps because they are visually less confusing, I guess, and back then normalmaps hadn't been standardized yet), which use spherical coordinates to store the normal vectors for each pixel of the texture, standard normalmaps use the more common Cartesian coordinates for the normal vectors, and map the X, Y and Z values to the R, G and B channels of a 24-bit image (not sure if it's done in THAT order, I'd need to check).

As an aside, Trespasser uses spherical coordinates (radius, elevation and azimuth) because that way they can store less data: a normal vector by definition has a magnitude of 1, which in Cartesian coordinates means X^2+Y^2+Z^2=1, and in spherical coordinates becomes R^2=1 or simply R=1, and so, you don't need to store a value for the radius as it will always be 1. Then for some reason they decided to use just 10 bits to store the data: 4 bits for the elevation angle (from 0 to 90 degrees, as there's no point in a normal pointing the other way, INTO the surface) and 6 bits for the azimuth angle (from 0 to 360 degrees). The remaining 6 bits are entries into a palette table, keeping in mind that bumpmapped textures in Trespasser can only use a 64-color palette.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well that is comforting, then. I will say that the high-res normalmaps I have seen in the past year here do actually make a visual difference... Haven't seen any of those moving, I don't think? Would like to see something like a high-res normalmapped basketball.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Well that is comforting, then. I will say that the high-res normalmaps I have seen in the past year here do actually make a visual difference... Haven't seen any of those moving, I don't think? Would like to see something like a high-res normalmapped basketball.
Check out my "TheIdiot Releases Stuff" thread, there's a normalmapped T-rex under there which you can check out. 8)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Went and had a look... Put the high res + normals into the texhw folder. Ingame result is definitely high res but I saw no evidence of normalmapping...
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Went and had a look... Put the high res + normals into the texhw folder. Ingame result is definitely high res but I saw no evidence of normalmapping...
Click on Image
That's odd. Maybe I didn't set the specular level right or something. Or is there no DLight in the level, perhaps? I may also have not made the NormalMaps "deep" enough as I did with the RTJP Rex (in which case I went TOO deep):
Click on Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

If there is no DLight, there is at least the airplane, which does the same thing. :batman:

I can see clearly the normalmapping of that RTJP rex... Wish to have that sort of thing in a level so I can fly around it.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:If there is no DLight, there is at least the airplane, which does the same thing. :batman:

I can see clearly the normalmapping of that RTJP rex... Wish to have that sort of thing in a level so I can fly around it.
Hmmm... the "airplane" is what shows up when there's no light source. It's recommended that you add an actual one to do better...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mmm. AFAIK the airplane is always loaded; DLights from level files of course take priority. And who recommends adding one and why? Really if light direction is inconsequential in one's level, there's no need.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No, it vanishes when you include a proper light. And IMO, it's better to do so, since otherwise, it stays visible and you can't get rid of it.