Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Newbie here

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
Opening up JPDS~plains and walking forward a few seconds would reveal whether it works... Tasha freezes and an overlay-text runs just before the cutscene is supposed to play.
I checked it out (tried the cutscenes in the helicopter at the start of Streams) and they didn't play, unfortunately. Don't know if it's due to a different filesystem in CE or what.
Damn. Yeah I forgot about ATX-CE filepath stuff.. Don't remember how Lee handled that..
Loss of the HUD is not cool, tho it was always optional for players. Its lack may make it hard to realize when certain conditions are making you slowly lose (or gain) health.
If there's ever a JPDS 2.0 (or something), it might be nice to give auditory or visual indications when Tasha is taking disease damage. I tended to play with the HUD off on ATX and I would constantly forget that I was dying of sickness. Maybe just the occasional text reminder or sound of Tasha coughing could work - I'm using the latter in RTJP and it works excellently. :wink:
Kewl idea.. But erm.. JPDS 2.0... *dies*
bumblebeef wrote:
machf wrote:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser

Set "Max recommended Tex Dim" to 0x00000100 (256)
And while you're at it, set "Z Buffer Bitdepth" to 0x00000020 (32)
Awesome, thanks! Looks a lot better.

Once I play the original game through, I'm definitely interested in trying some of the custom levels that are out there. Are there any guides for installation, all of that?
Custom levels often come with their own installation instructions in their Readme's. However, you might need to read up on how to do a hard-drive installation of the game. I also recommend downloading Trespasser Twilight (linked in my sig).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Damn. Yeah I forgot about ATX-CE filepath stuff.. Don't remember how Lee handled that..
It would be in the documentation somewhere. It might work if you move the movie files into the menu folder, haven't tried that yet.
Kewl idea.. But erm.. JPDS 2.0... *dies*
Well, you know what I mean! :P JPDS 1.1, then - just a fixed up version that is guaranteed compatible with CE, maybe has the level loads fixed as well so that you don't end up in the wrong place upon leaving a level. Just small stuff.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I feel like people simply wouldn't play a bug-fix rerelease of JPDS, and I wouldn't blame them. The levels are very fun but I wouldn't want to download the whole m****rf****r again for small fixes. I once considered doing a scaled-down redo of JPDS containing the entire plot but it's very tiring even to think about... Would rather come up with new stuff.

Sometimes I feel like TresCom atm is you and me exchanging posts :lol:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I feel like people simply wouldn't play a bug-fix rerelease of JPDS, and I wouldn't blame them. The levels are very fun but I wouldn't want to download the whole m****rf****r again for small fixes. I once considered doing a scaled-down redo of JPDS containing the entire plot but it's very tiring even to think about... Would rather come up with new stuff.
Good point...I dunno, I'd still play it, and I think most of the veterans would as well. :) I think the scaled-down thing is for a different time, though.
Shhhhh, you'll make them realize we're off topic...
WE'RE ON TOPIC! NO OFF TOPIC OVER HERE! HO-HUM-TOPIC-TOPIC-TOPIC HOW I LOVE TOPICAL CONVERSATION!

That's a good (and somewhat relevant to the topic at hand) point though - where exactly IS everyone?! Just quiet around here these days, I guess...that's why it's good at least to see someone new posting some more on the forum, since at the moment it's pretty much just you, me, and machf as regulars. :? Every time I see someone new, it makes me happy to know that there are still people finding this game and wanting to learn more about it.
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

TheIdiot wrote:
Good point...I dunno, I'd still play it, and I think most of the veterans would as well. :) I think the scaled-down thing is for a different time, though.
Shhhhh, you'll make them realize we're off topic...
WE'RE ON TOPIC! NO OFF TOPIC OVER HERE! HO-HUM-TOPIC-TOPIC-TOPIC HOW I LOVE TOPICAL CONVERSATION!

That's a good (and somewhat relevant to the topic at hand) point though - where exactly IS everyone?! Just quiet around here these days, I guess...that's why it's good at least to see someone new posting some more on the forum, since at the moment it's pretty much just you, me, and machf as regulars. :? Every time I see someone new, it makes me happy to know that there are still people finding this game and wanting to learn more about it.
Well I'm glad I can contribute... I'm pretty invested in the JP universe and this game kinda fell under my radar up until now, and I'm getting sucked in. I'm not very technical so I don't think I can contribute anything in the way of new levels or anything like that, but once I play the game through I'm definitely interested in what modifications can be made to it.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:since at the moment it's pretty much just you, me, and machf as regulars. :?
I'm here, lurking and reading the new posts every day, watching to see if people follow the rules ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

A couple of things:

1. I finished the game! Had a blast with it. I'll definitely be playing through again.

2. Speaking of, I went ahead and did a hard drive installation and did the regedit change to reflect the location of the files.

3. I installed a custom level! Had to go with the East Dock level. And holy cow, the Dilophosaurus! This is so awesome! I love the little things, like Nedry's badge and his glasses and the "stupid" stick. But really, this is seriously incredible.
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

I see JP: Oblivion referred to in the Trespasser Primer PDF, but I don't see it listed on the TC Levels page. Is that available anywhere?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm here, lurking and reading the new posts every day, watching to see if people follow the rules ;)
Does lurking count as active? If so, I've been on here since 2008. :P
1. I finished the game! Had a blast with it. I'll definitely be playing through again.
Nice work. You should try checking out a walkthrough next time to see if there were any secrets or details you missed.
3. I installed a custom level! Had to go with the East Dock level. And holy cow, the Dilophosaurus! This is so awesome! I love the little things, like Nedry's badge and his glasses and the "stupid" stick. But really, this is seriously incredible.
A wise choice, ED is one of my favorite single levels. I'd suggest you also try Tres: Legacy, JPDS and the TC Trilogy - if you thought a dilophosaurus was cool, those mods all have some awesome additions to the foodchain. :wink:
I see JP: Oblivion referred to in the Trespasser Primer PDF, but I don't see it listed on the TC Levels page. Is that available anywhere?
Unfortunately not in a completed form, from what I know. hppav did however release bits and pieces of JPO, including the unfinished Beach level and a test level that includes the Visitor Complex area, but neither are really playable aside from walking/flying around. The next closest thing to that is my in-progress Return to Jurassic Park mod, but that's still quite a ways from completion. For now, you'll have to make do with East Dock as your go-to Nublar mod.

(Oh, and I hate to hound you on this, but if you're going to post twice in 24 hours, make sure you edit your last post instead of making a new one, what with the moderators lurking around... :wink: )
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

A wise choice, ED is one of my favorite single levels. I'd suggest you also try Tres: Legacy, JPDS and the TC Trilogy - if you thought a dilophosaurus was cool, those mods all have some awesome additions to the foodchain. :wink:
I'll install these in short order.
Unfortunately not in a completed form, from what I know. hppav did however release bits and pieces of JPO, including the unfinished Beach level and a test level that includes the Visitor Complex area, but neither are really playable aside from walking/flying around. The next closest thing to that is my in-progress Return to Jurassic Park mod, but that's still quite a ways from completion. For now, you'll have to make do with East Dock as your go-to Nublar mod.

(Oh, and I hate to hound you on this, but if you're going to post twice in 24 hours, make sure you edit your last post instead of making a new one, what with the moderators lurking around... :wink: )
Duly noted. I'm on staycation, so I have a lot of time to kill and I've spent a lot of it on Trespasser. I'll try to be more judicial going forward with posting - after this one.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'll try to be more judicial going forward with posting - after this one.
Er, I meant that you CAN post more than once in 24 hours, but you shouldn't double post (meaning, post twice in a row on the same thread) in 24 hours, unless of course someone posts in between. My fault for not being clear. :sick:
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

TheIdiot wrote:
I'll try to be more judicial going forward with posting - after this one.
Er, I meant that you CAN post more than once in 24 hours, but you shouldn't double post (meaning, post twice in a row on the same thread) in 24 hours, unless of course someone posts in between. My fault for not being clear. :sick:
I gotcha, I read up on the rules and saw what I did and what you meant. I must have misread entirely. Thanks for looking out for me!
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

Question I'm hoping you guys can help me out with - I installed the TC Trilogy and I've got it up and running on my system, but the performance is laggier than I experienced with Trespasser with ATX installed. Is there a setting I need to modify or a registry edit I need to make? Thanks again!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Check out Trespasser CE - should run a lot better and look nicer. Even better if you use those graphics improvements TI showed us..
bumblebeef
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by bumblebeef »

Draconisaurus wrote:Check out Trespasser CE - should run a lot better and look nicer. Even better if you use those graphics improvements TI showed us..
That did it. Thanks again!

edit: Well, almost. The game plays and looks great, except for one thing - I'm missing audio entirely. Any pointers?