Trespasser with ReShade...it WORKS!

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Trespasser with ReShade...it WORKS!

Post by mleise »

Ok, now that you got me hooked, explain the whole thing please, since your explanation is more confusing that educating. What does near Z = 0 mean for a terrain that can have a wide range of Z values? And how does the terrain height relate to texture layers? Ingame I see some terrain changes, e.g. from grass to dirt or sand. There are many thinkable implementations for this. Does Trespasser have some sort of base texture (i.e. grass) for the whole terrain and everything else are decals that you position manually or is terrain multi-textured and you paint a top down picture with e.g. red=grass, yellow=sang, green=gravel that goes with the terrain mesh?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Rather than explain, I will direct you to TresEd. Open any retail level, click the button whose icon looks like a tiny landscape, and take a look at what lies under the terrain. Try selecting the objects you see to get an idea for how it works.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Fascinating. So they key to understanding terrain in Trespasser is that there are multiple meshes. The terrain height comes from an external file, generated from a height map with optimizations applied and under control of the engine's level-of-detail system. The texture is provided by several CTerrainObj's. These are regular textured models, like e.g. barrels or dinosaurs that are rendered in a top-down projection onto the terrain. You can take any dinosaur, make it a CTerrainObj and have it projected onto your terrain!

That is highly flexible as you can apply all kinds of distortions to terrain texture objects by fiddling with their meshes and also render pretty much any object onto the terrain. Aside from crude hacks this system does not lend itself to bump-mapping though.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

mleise wrote:Fascinating. So they key to understanding terrain in Trespasser is that there are multiple meshes.
:nerd:
The terrain height comes from an external file, generated from a height map with optimizations applied and under control of the engine's level-of-detail system.
Actually, that is more a description of how terrain was generated during development. The WTD file (Wavelet Something(Table?) Something(Document?)) has its own format, having to do with quads and divisions with some sort of hierarchy. Machf is the one to have explain this part.
The texture is provided by several CTerrainObj's. These are regular textured models, like e.g. barrels or dinosaurs that are rendered in a top-down projection onto the terrain. You can take any dinosaur, make it a CTerrainObj and have it projected onto your terrain!
Eheh, yes...

That is highly flexible as you can apply all kinds of distortions to terrain texture objects by fiddling with their meshes and also render pretty much any object onto the terrain. Aside from crude hacks this system does not lend itself to bump-mapping though.
No it doesn't, sadly. Might have been nice to render an additional global bumpmap texture for the entire terrain, so rocks could have shadows etc.... Would also give variation to individual terrain textures through rotation (and potentially incline?).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Holy crap, send those to a museum, those are some of the best preserved dinosaurs ever discovered! :P
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

That Dimetrodon totally looks like a "dinosaur and a barrel" projected onto the terrain, thx for sharing this illustration, because pictures say more than 1000 words. :)
DasZett
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by DasZett »

Hello.
Unfortunately I was not able to apply the reshade for Trespasser. Does anyone have an idea?
Screenshots below.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 132604.png
Screenshot 2023-09-18 132604.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1399 times
Screenshot 2023-09-18 132658.png
Screenshot 2023-09-18 132658.png (3.78 MiB) Viewed 1399 times
Screenshot 2023-09-18 132830.png
Screenshot 2023-09-18 132830.png (60.26 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Okay.. got it to run with these files.

https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... de#p135883
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Glad you got it working! I haven't really played myself much with it. I find it looking better overall for images, but can be tricky to play with.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."