A Little Help With Custom Levels

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

A Little Help With Custom Levels

Post by Shadefyre »

Hey guys, I was hoping I might get a little help from you more experienced folks getting a few specific Custom Trespasser levels to work. I did a little Trespasser Let's Play a while back, and recently I've been trying to do some playthroughs of the custom stuff. At the moment, the two things that are both giving me trouble are actually both standalone releases (so no CE/TT), being The Lagoon and the Dark Secrets series. I should mention too that I running these on a 64-bit Windows 7 setup.

For the Lagoon, the problem is when I try to start a new game, I don't even get a load screen before a fatal error occurs. I've managed to avoid this by turning down the draw distance to the lowest setting, but obviously it doesn't look great and doesn't seem very stable regardless. Any help smoothing it out would be great, but I can understand if that's the most the engine can do.

As for JPDS, I followed the install order instructions to the letter, and copied over the requisite Trespasser files. But when I try to start a new game, I get a loading screen, and then the vague "There has been an error and JP Dark Secrets can no longer run. No amount of playing with the graphics settings seems to have gotten me past this. Again, some troubleshooting love with this would be great.

I've got em both running for Window 98 compatibility, played around with the graphics settings, but to little avail. So I turn to the loyal community to give me another shot at getting these old boys going. Thanks for your time, folks.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: A Little Help With Custom Levels

Post by machf »

Well, just because they were released as standalones doesn't mean you can't play them with CE. After getting them installed, you can just copy the level files (and any additional files they may include) to your "regular" Trespasser install folder(s) and load them from the menu as any other custom levels... try that and see what happens.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. I had assumed they were dependent on the version of the engine+ATX they were using in package. I'll give it a shot.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

They may well be dependent on the version of Tres they are released with... I can say that JPDS certainly is. It uses all kinds of advanced ATX stuff, some of which was not put into CE.

Wish I could help on how to fix these errors...