Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: New E3 Preview Images Found!

Post by tatu »

I actually found it in a lower res a few months ago, but this one is much better.

http://www.thecomputershow.com/computer ... hedule.htm

Another link I found months ago. Trespasser is mention once.

Friday, May 29, 1998

4:05 p. m. Seamus Blackley, Trespasser, Dreamworks
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:So I've continued to look through old magazine after Trespasser article in hope to find any early images we haven't seen yet and came across this E3 1998 layout map. Dreamworks is not listed so I would guess they count as one of the EA ones.
E3Map.png
That's weird, I think I remember a floorplan where Dreamworks did show up... I must have it somewhere...

EDIT: oh, and here's this old post:
viewtopic.php?p=49508#p49508
machf wrote:Here's a couple of shots from the E3 showing Activision's "Asteroids" booth, but on the far right you can see the Dreamworks booth with Trespasser:

http://www.avault.com/e3-1998/e3pic.asp ... height=480

http://www.3drealms.com/gallery/e398/p0 ... ewsIndex=1

I'll keep searching for some other shots. In the meantime, here are the floorpans of the E3 1998 exhibit halls:

http://www.avault.com/e3-1998/floorplans.asp

Also.. any idea what this game on the left is? I see some dinosaurs...

http://www.avault.com/e3-1998/e3pic.asp ... height=480

I'm also looking for pictures from the Comdex Falll '97, where Trespasser was premiered at the AMD booth.

According to these articles:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/20952 ... production
AMD was also cooperating with Dteamworks Interactive and Krelle showed a demonstration of a game called Trespasser due for release in the first half of 1998 on both the K6 3D and the Pentium II.

The game, set in a 15 square kilometer virtual island, uses 35Mbytes of texturing and ran faster on the AMD PC than the machine using the Pentium II. The game takes advantage of the 3D physics used in the AMD chip, said Krelle.
http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/archiv ... 1/1998.htm
AMD put a 266MHz version of the new CPU side by side with a comparably outfitted Pentium II 266. The demo being run was Dreamworks Interactive's Trespasser. Only software 3D rendering was being used in both machines. However, the Trespasser code recognized the additional 24 3D MMX instructions in the K6-3D part and put them to good use. The results: TWICE the framerate and 60% (average) greater FPU performance over the PII-266. If THAT isn't news I'll eat my mainboard!

But thats not the whole story. In reality the new K6 part was more heavily loaded than the PII running alongside it. The version of the game running on the AMD hardware had additional features enabled that the PII did not support, resulting in greater realism in fog and water translucency effects.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... 890fcd2415
Hidden behind AMD's Comdex booth, designers from Dreamworks showed off
an early version of the game . Demonstrating the game on two
side-by-side computers, AMD's 300 MHz chip squared off against an
identically configured system with an Intel 300 MHz processor. The AMD
system with the custom-programmed software ran smoother graphics
effects, such as realistic ripples in a rendered pool of water and
sharply contrasted lighting through a forest.
the machines at the back on this screenshot may be the ones used for the comparison:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/arti ... 21/amd.jpg

Judging by the parent page:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/ ... mdex07.htm

I had hoped this one might have been it, but no:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/arti ... dk6300.jpg
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: http://www.thecomputershow.com/computer ... hedule.htm

Another link I found months ago. Trespasser is mention once.

Friday, May 29, 1998

4:05 p. m. Seamus Blackley, Trespasser, Dreamworks
Hmmm, I think those TV programmes are kept at the Internet Archive, I'll try to see if I find that particular one...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

I missed those. Sadly it seems a lot of the links are broken now, maybe it is time to archive them (if they are saved) and backup them to TresCom.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I have copies. But they can still be found at the Internet Archive, too.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Okay, so I don't want to make a new topic only for this. But Rolf Mohr just posted this on his Facebook. We already have this image but we never had it in this high resolution before!

Original name of image was "Dinoplain or Plainview.JPG"

scallenger

Post by scallenger »

YES! Love it!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Great to have it in higher resolution now...

Maybe he has something else?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Sadly not. :(

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Apparently he took a piece of the Visitor Center with him while on tour, during development.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

It's too bad we don't have terrain rendering like THAT in Tres...proper terrain textures with smooth blending, looks almost like Source Engine! Also, are any of the objects seen in that image found in any builds we have? They all look different to me. The tree on the right even looks to be added in post-render.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI, you haven't scoured the new-old builds with a microscope? For shame........... :mad:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:The tree on the right even looks to be added in post-render.
That tree is the same kind seen in other Plains images, and it's included (although without textures, sadly) in the Plains MAX file.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:TI, you haven't scoured the new-old builds with a microscope? For shame........... :mad:
I haven't really had the time to go too in-depth! But I think I can safely say I've never seen most of these objects in any level.
That tree is the same kind seen in other Plains images, and it's included (although without textures, sadly) in the Plains MAX file.
Are you sure about that, machf? The ones in the distance look like what you're talking about, but the one on the right doesn't even look like a model...it looks painted on. Look at the texture of the branches and leaves, it's like some kind of default brush in Photoshop or something. Compare the edges of the branches with the edges of the branches on the small evergreen in the bottom-left - the evergreen's edges are blurry and aliased, as they would have been, but the tree on the right is crisp and smoothly blended with the background. I don't know about you, but it just doesn't look right to me.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It's the same one in the right in this picture: