GTX 760 and Core i5 no good for Trespasser?

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

ShinKazama88
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

GTX 760 and Core i5 no good for Trespasser?

Post by ShinKazama88 »

Hi All,

Im a new member and I've decided to get back into Trespasser to show my younger sister.

To my horror after installing, applying the 1.1 patch and applying ATX 2.13, I have ridiculously low frames in hardware mode!

My sister asked if something was wrong with my rig and immediately booted up Far Cry 4 to show my rig is ok.

Can someone help? Thanks!
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: GTX 760 and Core i5 no good for Trespasser?

Post by Deagles4life »

hmm windows 8? because I know that my trespasser on my new alienware was glitching out but then i got it to work
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

do you have any extra maps on in your files like custom maps
also you might want to dedicate some ram to trespasser
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

also try running trespasser in safe mode just to stop any other programs that might slow it down also trespasser usually runs better in safe mode (though sound is gone i think I haven't played trespasser in safemode in a long time
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Have you tried Trespasser CE instead of ATX?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

yeah mine is CE
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Why Far Cry 4 might run faster than Trespasser...

I believe a major issue is how it is based on polygons rather than models or objects in the scene. Trespasser checks visibility of every polygon in the scene and then draws them one-by-one. Graphics cards like the 3dfx Voodoo worked that way and 3D APIs like OpenGL, too. But in the following years more and more of the CPU work was moved into the graphics cards and that approach became increasingly inefficient. Today you upload your meshes into the graphics card and just tell it where to draw it (after you did a quick visibility check of the whole model).

Another point to mention is that the number of shading units in gfx cards increased a lot more than the raw pixel fill power. So they can handle a lot more effects in modern games like Far Cry 4, but fail to accelerate old games as much as one might expect.

Last not least, support for the old DirectX version used in Trespasser/ATX is probably not the best in Windows 8. Trespasser CE from Lee Arbusco uses the more recent DirectX 9 which could work out a lot better, but it was based on the unpatched Trespasser source code so some of the physics might be more glitchy and not all the ATX features are supported: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10674&start=480#p114129
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

For now, if you intend to play the original game on newer hardware, Trespasser CE is much more recommended than ATX. You can even add ENB series or sweetfx since CE adds DirectX9 support to fully utilize the performance of your hardware.

ATX is more suitable for custom fan made levels because some fan missions used its features very extensively.