Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

vorob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

A rare guest have some questions

Post by vorob »

Hello everyone,

Can't say i'm an often guest here, but i played Trespasser 10 and 4 years ago and i'm happy seeing that community of this game lives and create new stuff.

Thing i'm interested in is vanilla game with little changes. So i'm after some fixes that correct bugs and enhance original gameplay. I've got few questions, could you be so kind to fill me in :)

1. http://atx.trescom.org/ last version were made over 5 years ago, what happened to this man?
2. is there any other mods that correct original game? I saw only viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10674&start=630
3. is there any mod that works on level details, place flying things on ground? Fixes structural bugs?
4. is there any way to make all things in 3d? Even distant one.

p.s. sorry for my english, not my native...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: A rare guest have some questions

Post by tatu »

Hi!
1. http://atx.trescom.org/ last version were made over 5 years ago, what happened to this man?
I belive life is what happened to him :)
2. is there any other mods that correct original game? I saw only viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10674&start=630
Only one. Also contains most ATX features, and some other experiment cut stuff from the source (you can enable them in the INI file, see readme for more info).
3. is there any mod that works on level details, place flying things on ground? Fixes structural bugs?
Not that I'm aware of. Fixing the non-fan levels haven't been that popular withing modding lol.
Possible. Only the billboards are in 2D, everything else is already in 3D. However, replacing the billboards with 3D models will probably be too much for the Trespasser engine (it can only load around 40000 objects in one level).
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Not that I'm aware of. Fixing the non-fan levels haven't been that popular withing modding lol.
Wasn't there one called "Final Trespasser" on the main TresCom site? I think that one was intended to do this, but only the Beach was ever completed. There's also your Trespasser Experience mod, don't forget your own work! :wink:
Possible. Only the billboards are in 2D, everything else is already in 3D. However, replacing the billboards with 3D models will probably be too much for the Trespasser engine (it can only load around 40000 objects in one level).
You could use extremely low-poly meshes, but you'd need a lot of them and the game probably wouldn't like that. I think what he means is if the distant imposters be overridden, in which case yes, but even on the best computers the game will lag like no tomorrow. It's a feature of Tres CE, but I wouldn't recommend a cache distance of over 75-120 on a mid-range PC, and even then your FPS will likely sit in the thirties. I would never recommend setting a distance of 500+ or you're never going to play the game at all.
Also, is the object limit 40000? I thought I remembered it being somewhere around 65000..? :sick: Wonder if Lee Arbuco can increase that limit (not that it would be a good idea to go over that max).
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
Wasn't there one called "Final Trespasser" on the main TresCom site? I think that one was intended to do this, but only the Beach was ever completed. There's also your Trespasser Experience mod, don't forget your own work! :wink:
Right, I forgot haha. But only the Summit is done.
Also, is the object limit 40000? I thought I remembered it being somewhere around 65000..? :sick: Wonder if Lee Arbuco can increase that limit (not that it would be a good idea to go over that max).
You are right, somewhere around 65000 :P

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Maybe even close to 65535 :nerd:.
Most limits like that can be lifted or at least increased now that we have abundant memory. Sometimes it doesn't work out, especially when the data type used in level files cannot hold larger values. In that case a new level file format needs to be used and editors changed. In yet other cases developers might have picked a low limit to be able to use simpler and faster data structures. For example with max 65535 objects you can have IDs in 2 bytes instead of 4 and you can fit 8 yes/no flags about every possible object in one fixed block of memory of 64 KB.

But in comparison, Half-Life from around the same time had an entity limit of only 2048 so Trespasser is really generous here.
tatu

Post by tatu »

mleise wrote:Maybe even close to 65535 :nerd:.
Most limits like that can be lifted or at least increased now that we have abundant memory. Sometimes it doesn't work out, especially when the data type used in level files cannot hold larger values. In that case a new level file format needs to be used and editors changed. In yet other cases developers might have picked a low limit to be able to use simpler and faster data structures. For example with max 65535 objects you can have IDs in 2 bytes instead of 4 and you can fit 8 yes/no flags about every possible object in one fixed block of memory of 64 KB.

But in comparison, Half-Life from around the same time had an entity limit of only 2048 so Trespasser is really generous here.
It is still a lot how much you are able to place, since the most a retail level got is around +16000 and that's the town level. But as seen with the beta, a lot of stuff like foliage was removed and combined.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

GB*

We need to talk sometime... ;)