Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
Antispam: No

Locating Anne's Apartment

Post by hppav »

As anyone who has me on Facebook has probably noticed, I've been on a bit of a 90s New York, Lower Manhattan kick lately. I had known that we believed Anne lived in New York City due to her accent slipping in from time to time ("It's warm!" being the most blatant) and I can't remember exactly if a specific bit of official text or interview specified as much but I decided to see if there were any clues in the two cutscenes of her apartment. I usually either skip the cutscenes or never really looked at them very closely.

The first cutscene, the New Game one, doesn't really give us any information about a location unfortunately. The text on the letter envelopes is too blurry to make out an address. There is a movie poster for the 1995 movie "The Usual Suspects" above her couch but that obviously doesn't tell us anything about where she lives, just that she likes that movie. (See Attachment, yes I am indeed insane). (EDIT: The poster more closely matches this VHS cover with the top row of names cropped out: https://u-mercari-images.mercdn.net/pho ... 1668729453)

The ending cutscene, however, shows a glimpse of some buildings outside her window. It's pretty quick and there's no notable skyscrapers in the shot.... HOWEVER...

In the lower right is the original Pier 17 with it's roof lights. Pier 17 is in Lower Manhattan, NYC. You can also see the adjacent piers lit up to the left. That places Anne's apartment across the East River in Brooklyn. Looking in Google Earth there's only one building with a matching angle of Pier 17's roof and that is an apartment building at 40/60 Water Street (Landlord's site says 60, other sites say 40. Same building multiple addresses). Problem is this building wasn't built until 2017, a parking lot and a few lowrises were in this location. There are only 3 older highrises in that area and either the angle doesn't match or the Brooklyn Bridge obscures it. Either way, the perspective is from the DUMBO district of Brooklyn (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass). This is a small district that is between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges as well as to the east of the Manhattan Bridge.

What that tells us is the view is either from Brooklyn Bridge itself (Due to it being elevated enough to see the lit piers at this angle) or it's a helicopter photo. It's possibly some kind of stock photo from the mid 90s of the New York skyline. The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center would be just out of view to the right and the Brooklyn Bridge would be visible below the edge of the window. Very common angle from then but I can't find a matching photo from that time period. The apartment listing shows almost the exact same angle as a photo which I included in the attached image, however this is when the old Pier 17 building was demolished before they built the new one (which looks bland in my opinion, but that's the style these days).

Now how did I recognize this location so fast when I don't live anywhere near NYC? I have a wall art piece on my living room wall I bought at Walmart back in 2015 that is of Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge before the construction of the new World Trade Center and after 9/11. During this time period Lower Manhattan still looked like it did in the 90s just without the WTC. Pier 17 is dead center in the wall art and I see it every day.

So now we have in game proof that Anne lives in New York City and where in the Five Burroughs she lives.
Attachments
AnnesApartment3.png
AnnesApartment3.png (2.37 MiB) Viewed 37954 times
AnnesApartment2.png
AnnesApartment2.png (2.8 MiB) Viewed 37954 times
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Re: Locating Anne's Apartment

Post by codemuk3y »

I love this level of analysis
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Woow, now I want to see Anne's apartment ingame. Complete with a NYC skyline in the distance.
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Don't tempt me, lol. I have already made low poly models of some of the Lower Manhattan skyline :lol: It's to go with my new version of the World Trade Center but who's to say I can't do other things with them.

Note in the screenshots only the North Tower has a fully modeled exterior while the South Tower is still the low poly mesh scene in the gmax scene. I plan on finishing all the shared components between the two towers before modifying it to be the South Tower. The World Financial Center was made later and thus isn't in the gmax scene image.

You can see my progress here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 5466952457
It blows my old version completely out of the water. The tower mesh also has way fewer polygons than the previous version and looks way more accurate. I have access to a lot more material than I did when I made the old version. I plan on having the concourse mall be a separate level to save resources but it surprises me how well things can look in Trespasser CE.
Attachments
WTCPlaza-009.png
WTCPlaza-009.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 37885 times
WFC05.png
WFC05.png (2.69 MiB) Viewed 37890 times
NewYork-006.png
NewYork-006.png (671.94 KiB) Viewed 37890 times
WTC7-039.png
WTC7-039.png (2.94 MiB) Viewed 37890 times
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

This is an insanely impressive detective work. I can't believe that after all this time, the community is still discovering new things about this game
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I freaking love topics like this :D
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey hppav! Damn you've been busy. Didn't realize you were going to make that much of New York. Great models!...

I do believe there are still secrets hidden away in Trespasser. hppav has been the one to find another one, which shouldn't surprise us too much. Or, another two secrets. Never seen that movie... But hmmm it is rather neat to be aware that Anne lived in New York, which might as well be canon since this is the only material to go by. (Drac carefully disregards possible implications of the New York subway used in TLW during Malcolm's transit to Hammond's mansion.)
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

very clever. excellent research.
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Love it!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This is both awesome and the most hppav thing ever. :P The new WTC looks great, I wish I had some of those low-poly building models in the RTJP days. I hope this time we'll be able to actually explore the roof as well - maybe you could add a tightrope to recreate the famous walk between the Twin Towers?
Draconisaurus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:39 am (Drac carefully disregards possible implications of the New York subway used in TLW during Malcolm's transit to Hammond's mansion.)
Well, now we need to see if there's anyone Minnie Driver-like in the background during that scene... :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, now we need to see if there's anyone Minnie Driver-like in the background during that scene... :wink:
Haha that would be neat. Huh what are the dates again? Technically the game mentions both the Hunter-landing date and Anne's arrival date.