A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: A new Trespasser patch/update (Trespasser CE)

Post by TheIdiot »

To semi-correct machf and tatu - CE DOES indeed have support for all of ATX's functions, as far as I'm aware, but many of them are implemented in completely different ways, some of which most of us do not know how to work with yet. You can still play ATX-dependent levels in CE, but they will be missing a few tiny features, including an accessible map and jumping Raptors. There are ways we have come up with to make some things, such as randomized object placement, spitting dilophosaurs and a HUD work in CE, but they require some modding skill to get set-up on older ATX-made levels. CE makes some major upgrades to the engine itself which ATX doesn't have, which in my opinion are worth sacrificing the ATX features to get working (especially since my computer can't run ATX anymore due to a keyboard bug).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

So Lee came in and helped us out with the plugin system. Has anyone tried it?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:To semi-correct machf and tatu - CE DOES indeed have support for all of ATX's functions
No, there are two ATX actiontypes that CE hasn't implemented, according to Lee himself. IIRC, AT 119 (rain/snow effect) was one of them, I forget which was the other one (I *think* it may have been AT 102).
And even if you can now write alternate actiontypes yourself in CE, that would still require editing the existing levels to use them - so, they won't work properly with CE "out of the box".
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

No, there are two ATX actiontypes that CE hasn't implemented, according to Lee himself. IIRC, AT 119 (rain/snow effect) was one of them, I forget which was the other one (I *think* it may have been AT 102).
Totally forgot about the rain and snow! Damn, that's a big one, too...
And even if you can now write alternate actiontypes yourself in CE, that would still require editing the existing levels to use them - so, they won't work properly with CE "out of the box".
That's what I meant when I said "There are ways we have come up with to make some things...but they require some modding skill to get set-up on older ATX-made levels."
Draconisaurus wrote:So Lee came in and helped us out with the plugin system. Has anyone tried it?
Haven't done so myself - in fact, I have yet to really take a look at the new changes in CE. As far as I can tell, it's still the same coding system as before. I seem to recall reading the sample scripts provided and couldn't make sense of it.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

In any case. If you don't have any issue with ATX (like TheIdiot above), you have no issue to run them along in the same folder/setup together :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
vorob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by vorob »

Okay, thank you. Now I understand the situation better :) The next question, is there any graphics modifications that compatible with the CE patch? Like Improved draw distance (no 2d replacements for distant objects), fixed levels so objects lie on the ground and not soar in the air? Improved the texture?

I want to write a small article-reminiscence about the game since it will be 20 years since release, and for this purpose, I would like to use the improved version of the game. Usually I'm against this, but Trespasser was a game on the edge of technology, so I think it's acceptable in its case.
vorob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by vorob »

Lol, do i need to install official 1.1 patch?
tatu

Post by tatu »

The next question, is there any graphics modifications that compatible with the CE patch? Like Improved draw distance (no 2d replacements for distant objects)
Yes. Check out the trespasser.ini file found in the "docs" folder for description for the various options. There is some settings so the LOD doesn't load close to the player.
fixed levels so objects lie on the ground and not soar in the air?
Yes and no. There are very few released fixes for this. However, I am, along with TheIdiot currently working on something like this, while also combining several levels with into one, fixing ALL height issues possible. People see me as a foliage height fix modder ;P
Improved the texture?
I believe TheIdiot have released a HD texture pack. It does not cover most textures but some. But at the moment there are no full improved/HD texture pack release. Maybe one day someone will undertake that big task and redo all textures with HD texture (and texture fixes).
I want to write a small article-reminiscence about the game since it will be 20 years since release, and for this purpose, I would like to use the improved version of the game. Usually I'm against this, but Trespasser was a game on the edge of technology, so I think it's acceptable in its case.
I would say it is acceptable. We've had ATX for years that improved Draw Distance. In my opinion, the default one in original Trespasser looks horrible now, really horrible.
You do not. That applies to both the ATX and CE patch :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
The next question, is there any graphics modifications that compatible with the CE patch? Like Improved draw distance (no 2d replacements for distant objects)
Yes. Check out the trespasser.ini file found in the "docs" folder for description for the various options. There is some settings so the LOD doesn't load close to the player.
I would say it is acceptable. We've had ATX for years that improved Draw Distance. In my opinion, the default one in original Trespasser looks horrible now, really horrible.
And before that, my hack that would allow you to change the draw distance in the original executable. And then my other hack that would allow you to set the aspect ratio to play the game with widescreen monitors. And first of all, that other hack (by someone else) that would allow you to select resolutions over 800*600 (my guess is the Tres developers disabled them so that the game wouldn't run even slower; same for setting the draw distance so low). When ATX was written, it incorporated all of those. And so did CE, too.
Most of what they do is lift the constraints artificially set by the Tres developers to attempt to make the game run smoother with the hardware available at the time.
Improved the texture?
I believe TheIdiot have released a HD texture pack. It does not cover most textures but some. But at the moment there are no full improved/HD texture pack release. Maybe one day someone will undertake that big task and redo all textures with HD texture (and texture fixes).
Keep in mind that it will only work with CE (which allows you to load external textures to replace the original ones), and that terrain textures can't be replaced, only object's ones.
fixed levels so objects lie on the ground and not soar in the air?
Yes and no. There are very few released fixes for this. However, I am, along with TheIdiot currently working on something like this, while also combining several levels with into one, fixing ALL height issues possible. People see me as a foliage height fix modder ;P
You do not. That applies to both the ATX and CE patch :)
I'd say it's recommended that you install the "large patch" version of patch 1.1, as that one *does* fix some of the floating trees and stuff, even if you're not going to run the exe anyway (using either CE or ATX). The small patch, consisting of the exe only, wouldn't make much sense. ATX is based on the 1.1 exe, and CE, though based on the 1.0 source, attempts to recreate the fixes added in 1.1.
If you *do* install the large path, however, I'd recommend you move the level files from the "Patch" folder created by it into the /data folder inside whatever path you originally copied the CD contents to in order to perform the HDD install, overwriting the original level files, and then remove the "Patch Dir" entry in the registry.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

People see me as a foliage height fix modder ;P
Indeed - I believe they call you tatu, "Foliage Master" :wink:

Beware if anyone plans on playing mod levels with additional draw distance, however, as setting it too high will result in some of the more detailed levels crashing due to object overload (Tres Legacy's jungle maze and a couple of my own levels come to mind).

Also, if you use the 1.1 Full patch, be aware that it also inexplicably removes some stuff which wasn't floating or otherwise misplaced...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Beware if anyone plans on playing mod levels with additional draw distance, however, as setting it too high will result in some of the more detailed levels crashing due to object overload (Tres Legacy's jungle maze and a couple of my own levels come to mind).
I usually set it to 80m without problems. And that was from the times we only had ATX. I've played your Beach level with a setting of 100 in CE without problems.
TheIdiot wrote:
Also, if you use the 1.1 Full patch, be aware that it also inexplicably removes some stuff which wasn't floating or otherwise misplaced...
I think those were things which had (potential) physics glitches... the MW oven in Dr. Wu's bungalow is the first one that I remember.
tatu

Post by tatu »

And before that, my hack that would allow you to change the draw distance in the original executable. And then my other hack that would allow you to set the aspect ratio to play the game with widescreen monitors. And first of all, that other hack (by someone else) that would allow you to select resolutions over 800*600 (my guess is the Tres developers disabled them so that the game wouldn't run even slower; same for setting the draw distance so low). When ATX was written, it incorporated all of those. And so did CE, too.
Most of what they do is lift the constraints artificially set by the Tres developers to attempt to make the game run smoother with the hardware available at the time.
That is true. I guess what I meant was that ATX made all those more easily applied for more people.
I'd say it's recommended that you install the "large patch" version of patch 1.1, as that one *does* fix some of the floating trees and stuff, even if you're not going to run the exe anyway (using either CE or ATX).
I am pretty sure back when I compared the changes in the levels made by the "large patch" (http://www.trescom.org/articles/differe ... patch-117/) there were no changes made to the height of any foliage and only a very few objects that can be found in the article linked. Overall I think it will be a preference. I never install the large patch and just keep different folders for each version instead. Overall, the large patch changes would probably only be noticeable in the town level for most people anyway, with the removal of Wu's microwave and the changes to the powerlines at the beginning of the level. Personally I feel like the large patch also does some weird "fixes", like the boxes in AS2, making them stack but in a tilted position.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:
That is true. I guess what I meant was that ATX made all those more easily applied for more people.
And I only meant that, even before ATX, people have been using various patches/hacks to make it look better while playing it, so there shouldn't be any reason not to use ATX or CE on modern systems...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The 1.1 Trespasser "Large Patch" is metadigitally linked to timelines from the Tresapocalypse dimension and should be avoided at all costs. Also Wu's micro is one of the innermost consistency's of Tres Matter Core 2005-2018 imperative 1.3
vorob
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by vorob »

I completely lost, dunno what to do to have best version of trespasser. Currently, i've got tresp 1.1 and CE patch...