Running Trespasser (Windows 10, from a torrented .iso, 2019)

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Triosky
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Running Trespasser (Windows 10, from a torrented .iso, 2019)

Post by Triosky »

Hello, I've been wanting to play Trespasser for a while and I managed to find, mount, and run a .iso file I grabbed from offline but I have been having some specific issues and need some solutions.

1, When I enter the video settings, the screen becomes corrupted and glitchy and is unreadable due to having a vomit of pink and green pixels.
2, The game, as comes with all old games, is exceptionally old and runs in full-screen in a corner of my display, changing my entire computer's ratio to fit. This is less of an issue and more of a problem, since, I would love to play the game in full-screen. I have read some of the other forums and they have suggest an "ATX patch", though all links to the patch information, download tutorials, and actual page is down. Windowed mode would be best, since I would like to record gameplay as well one day. (I've also heard that ATX patch adds other things such as jumping raptors, which would be interesting)

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but I'm not completely sure what I'm missing or what needs to be done enable to run this game the best it can be run. If anyone could help or offer a guide, or checklist, I would appreciate it.
Thank you for your time, and I hope I can enjoy this game soon!

Additional info:
The game runs great. There is one vague problem as states as (1) on the list, where when I open the Options > Video, the screen becomes corrupted. I found the fix for it is to click what I assume is Advanced options (it's too dang buggy for me to see) above the ratios, and then re-open the game from there. I actually found the advanced options by accident and I'm glad because now I run it at 800x600 and it looks so much better, visually. Again, though, I would love to have a windowed mode, though I AM able to record it in it's normal full-screened state.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Running Trespasser (Windows 10, from a torrented .iso, 2

Post by machf »

A couple of suggestions:
  • Perform a "HDD install": copy the contents of the CD (or ISO) into a folder on your HDD, remove the CD, and run the installer from the copy on the HDD.
  • After setting your video card for the first time, you can install Trespasser CE (which supercedes ATX) and run it, obtaining things like hi-def, widescreen support and DirectX 9 compatibility.
And welcome to the asylum... now that you're inside, there's no escape. ;)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Triosky
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Triosky »

machf wrote:A couple of suggestions:
  • Perform a "HDD install": copy the contents of the CD (or ISO) into a folder on your HDD, remove the CD, and run the installer from the copy on the HDD.
  • After setting your video card for the first time, you can install Trespasser CE (which supercedes ATX) and run it, obtaining things like hi-def, widescreen support and DirectX 9 compatibility.
And welcome to the asylum... now that you're inside, there's no escape. ;)

Alright, I'll do that. Right now I have been running it directly from the iso mount, though the game did actually install TO my pc. Should I uninstall what the installer did and redo the process as you suggested?
Also, do you know exactly where to find Trespasser CE and its install/tutorial-for install? I downloaded the CE from here http://www.trescom.org/patches/ but I... don't know how to install it. Pardon my lack of tech-savviness but I have never really done anything like this. Right now, the game does look fine, and runs well, but Windowed mode is definitely a priority if it is possible. (And letting raptors run into buildings and jump around also looks super fun, lol)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Triosky wrote: Alright, I'll do that. Right now I have been running it directly from the iso mount, though the game did actually install TO my pc. Should I uninstall what the installer did and redo the process as you suggested?
Yes, it's better that you do that, otherwise the current registry entries will stay there and it will try looking for the CD or image...
Also, do you know exactly where to find Trespasser CE and its install/tutorial-for install? I downloaded the CE from here http://www.trescom.org/patches/ but I... don't know how to install it.
Basically, you extract the contents to the folder where you installed Trespasser (for example, C:\Program Files\Dreamworks Interactive\Trespasser) and the run the CE executable instead of the original one.
Pardon my lack of tech-savviness but I have never really done anything like this. Right now, the game does look fine, and runs well, but Windowed mode is definitely a priority if it is possible. (And letting raptors run into buildings and jump around also looks super fun, lol)
Well, I think you can use CE to run Trespasser in windowed mode. Take alook at its documentation after you extract the contents of the .zip file.

EDIT: copied this from the Readme.txt included with CE:
Windowed Mode
-------------

The game should be able to run fine in windowed mode, but this requires editing/adding the registry
DWORD value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DreamWorks Interactive\Trespasser\Full Screen" and set the
value to 0.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Triosky
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Triosky »

Nice! The patch worked and is enabling me to select way more full-screen sizes, though, when adding the option for windowed mode I actually took a slightly alternate route that had a successful result:
Set windowed
Install Trespasser CE.
Open <path-to-game>\docs\.
Copy tpass.ini to <path-to-game>.
Start the game and exit.
Open tpass.ini.
Add Full Screen=0.
This worked, but I am unable to change the resolution or size of the windowed screen. Changing the in-game settings, say from 800x600 to 1280x720 (Thank you, CE for adding more of those sweet numbers) will cause the game to return to fullscreen mode, though the resolution and size of the game on the monitor itself has changed. I can't seem to find a line of code within the config files or ReadMe to change this, but so far this is going great. Thank you!

*** Sudden Edit *** Enabling widescreen is something I have yet to do and that may be why I cannot change the window size.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm, I don't run the game in windowed modes,so i can't really help ypou with that. Maybe someone else who has had more experience with that subject can help...

Here's my personal Trespasser.ini file so you can take a look at the widescreen settings:

Code: Select all

; Example/reference configuration for running the game with DirectX 9 HW rendering
; Copy this file to the game installation directory and rename it to trespasser.ini
;
; see reference file doc\trespasser.ini for description and additional configuration parameters

;--------
[General]
;--------

;TimestampScreenshots=True

;EnableQuickSaveKey=True

;EnableDualStow=True

TryIncompleteInstall=False

;-----
[Game]
;-----

EnableAiActivityEx=-1
MaxActiveAi=6

;--------
[Display]
;--------

ScreenBitDepth=32

; if necessary adjust this to match the refresh rate of your display (+1 to give it a small margin)
MaxFramerate=61

;-----------
[DisplayDX9]
;-----------

UseDX9=True

;MultiSamplingLevel=16

EnableVSync=False

;Enable10bitDisplay=True

ScaleModeMenus=2

WaterRefraction=True

ATOCMode=1

EnhancedSky=True

;------
[Sound]
;------

NoSavegameSysSettings=True

MixerFrequency=44100

;------------
[SoundOpenAL]
;------------

UseAL=False

;Device=Generic Software

;DisableEAX=True

;-------
[Memory]
;-------

SysMemSizeD3D=8192

MemSizeD3D=220

TexPoolSizeD3D=16384

MaxTerrainMem=20000

MaxTerrainDynaShadowMem=12000

ExtraTerrainNodes=10

;ForceManagedMemD3D=True

;-------
[Render]
;-------

32bitHardwareTextures=True

FOV=75.0
LockHorizFOV=False

CacheMinDist=100.0

MinCullDistance=80.0
MinCullDistanceShadow=60.0

ObjectCullDistScale=5.0
ObjectCullDistScaleShadow=1.25

CachedObjectCullDistScale=8.0

MinObjectCullDist=100.0
MinObjectCullDistShadow=20.0
MinCachedObjectCullDist=500.0

MinTerrainNodeEvalDist=35

ForceMaxObjectDetail=True

TexFilterD3D=8

ForceNoBlendTrans=False

;-----------------
[MaxQualityParams]
;-----------------

MinSubdivison=8
AltMinSubdivision=16

DetailReductionScale=8.0

CullDistScale=5.0
CullShadowDistScale=3.0

WaterResScale=3.0

TerrainTexelScale=3.0

TerrainDistanceScale=3.0

PixelTolAdj=0.25

ResolutionScale=2.0

; Example/reference configuration for running the game with DirectX 9 HW rendering
; Copy this file to the game installation directory and rename it to trespasser.ini
;
; see reference file doc\trespasser.ini for description and additional configuration parameters

;--------
[General]
;--------

;TimestampScreenshots=True

;EnableQuickSaveKey=True

;EnableDualStow=True

TryIncompleteInstall=False

;-----
[Game]
;-----

EnableAiActivityEx=-1
MaxActiveAi=6

;--------
[Display]
;--------

ScreenBitDepth=32

; if necessary adjust this to match the refresh rate of your display (+1 to give it a small margin)
MaxFramerate=61

;-----------
[DisplayDX9]
;-----------

UseDX9=True

;MultiSamplingLevel=16

EnableVSync=False

;Enable10bitDisplay=True

ScaleModeMenus=2

WaterRefraction=True

ATOCMode=1

EnhancedSky=True

;------
[Sound]
;------

NoSavegameSysSettings=True

MixerFrequency=44100

;------------
[SoundOpenAL]
;------------

UseAL=False

;Device=Generic Software

;DisableEAX=True

;-------
[Memory]
;-------

SysMemSizeD3D=8192

MemSizeD3D=220

TexPoolSizeD3D=16384

MaxTerrainMem=20000

MaxTerrainDynaShadowMem=12000

ExtraTerrainNodes=10

;ForceManagedMemD3D=True

;-------
[Render]
;-------

32bitHardwareTextures=True

FOV=75.0
LockHorizFOV=False

CacheMinDist=100.0

MinCullDistance=80.0
MinCullDistanceShadow=60.0

ObjectCullDistScale=5.0
ObjectCullDistScaleShadow=1.25

CachedObjectCullDistScale=8.0

MinObjectCullDist=100.0
MinObjectCullDistShadow=20.0
MinCachedObjectCullDist=500.0

MinTerrainNodeEvalDist=35

ForceMaxObjectDetail=True

TexFilterD3D=8

ForceNoBlendTrans=False

;-----------------
[MaxQualityParams]
;-----------------

MinSubdivison=8
AltMinSubdivision=16

DetailReductionScale=8.0

CullDistScale=5.0
CullShadowDistScale=3.0

WaterResScale=3.0

TerrainTexelScale=3.0

TerrainDistanceScale=3.0

PixelTolAdj=0.25

ResolutionScale=2.0

;------
[Debug]
;------

;SysLog=2
;LogDevInfo=4
;ReloadScripts=1
Triosky
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Triosky »

Do you happen to know of any specific lines of code to override the options and set the screen to a certain size/res? Or to just change them on startup.

I have tried
height=1280
width=720

which works with other games, but added into the tpass.ini, it definitely didn't work. Lol. There doesn't seem to be an actual options config, and the trespasser.ini does not have a line for this. If not, I'm absolutely fine with disabling windowed mode. I can record the game in its fullscreen form, but it's just a little more finicky. Also in windowed mode it's so small. I have to squint and lean in to see anything, which is another reason to attempt to resize it I guess. :P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, I've just tried this with the demo, which uses tpass.ini (the retail version doesn't normally, more on that later), and it worked:

Width=1280
Height=720
Full Screen=0
For the retail, in order for it to work, as that text that I copied earlier says, you have to add a new registry entry. BUT! Trespasser CE will also allow you ot use the retail version with a tpass.ini file, as mentioned in its Readme.txt:
The game optionally also supports using an INI file ("tpass.ini") to load and save settings from/to, instead
of using the registry. This is enabled by simply placing a "tpass.ini" file in the game directory, either
by using an existing file or creating a new empty one. The "doc\" directory contains a template "tpass.ini"
file that can be copied. To make changing from registry to INI file easy, the template "doc\tpass.ini" file
has a special setting enabled, which will make the game copy any game settings from the registry to the INI
file, the next time the game is started.
So, first you delete the tpass.ini file you copied, run the game and configure it normally (it will save your settings in the registry), THEN you follow the instructions I just quoted. I've marked in boldface and italics the part you should follow in order to get it working.
After you've done that, you can now edit the resulting tpass.ini file (copied from the registry entries) and modify it with the values I gave you before for the demo:

Width=1280
Height=720
Full Screen=0
(Dropping a tpass.ini file before runing the game for the first time usually doesn't work as expected...)
Triosky
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Triosky »

It worked!
Awesome, thank you!
Maybe there should be a tutorial or guide on how to do this, because that was a few loops that had to be jumped through. Either way, though, thank you so much!
Yaay!
Yaay!
Tpass.PNG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 10596 times
(Menus and cursor movement is still the standard ratio, but that does not affect gameplay whatsoever. Really cool.)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Glad to have helped. Enjoy the game!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Hi and welcome to TresCom!

Glad you got help and got this figured out :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, to Trespasser World. Do have a good time and let us know your thoughts on the game & any mods you might play...