TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:25 pm 
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Looking around the code a bit I saw that I already had a check that disables HW bump mapping if the GPU doesn't have NPOT support, because it's required for certain things regardless of the source textures. I had forgotten about that.

However the check allowed HW bump to remain enabled for cards with only limited NPOT support, which isn't enough. I'll probably change that, or at least add a note that the option can/will cause crashing on such GPUs.

machf wrote:
Hmmm, I think this is the first time I've heard of Trespasser crashing because of that...

Maybe because no one has run it on a GPU with limited NPOT, or perhaps depending on driver it doesn't always end up with a crash even when it's doing something it isn't supposed to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 am 
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Did some some debugging and more looking, and it might be that particular combo of a NPOT swp bumpmap and limited NPOT GPU. I added what I hope is a fix for that situation and posted v1.07c.

Melber if you still happen to read this. If you feel like it you can download 1.07c and re-enable HW bumpmapping to see if that works for you. If you happen to have the level 2 save, where you know it crashed, it would be even better if you could test it there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:40 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

OK, I'll upload it to TresCom in a while, too...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 pm 
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Hey Lee, I'm wondering if you would be able to implement some sort of fix to the "float Damage" T-script value? It's downright useless at the moment, and seems to be mostly broken.

As it is by default, the Damage value doesn't seem to really do a whole lot when assigned to $ physics, no matter how hard you hit a CAnimal with the object. From what I understand, assigning the Damage value to the entire CInstance will cause the object to hurt both the CAnimals and Anne. For instance, I have a melee weapon which needs to do damage when striking, but only one part of it should be potentially dangerous; however, I believe that if I assign the entire CInstance a Damage value, it will hurt Anne when she puts it on her back, and will kill dinosaurs with a single swipe due to the Damage value registering repeatedly when the object collides with the animal. Some sort of check needs to be implemented so that you can assign CInstances or $ objects Damage and have them A. not damage Anne when she has them on her back (having her drop a weapon and then be hurt by it is okay), and B. only do damage when being swung beyond a certain velocity, and only have that damage occur at a certain rate. I should note that you can currently kill CAnimals by hitting them with melee weapons which have no Damage value assigned, but you have have to hit them very, very hard to do any damage, even if the object in question should be damaging at slower velocities, such as a knife. A lot of people seem to only have luck forcing the dino to interoplate with a melee weapon in order to do damage.

I don't really know a whole lot about the extent of commands you could add to T-Scripts, but an idea of what I'm thinking:

float Damage: The damage done to a CAnimal or the Player when the object collides with another object.
float DamageAnne: The damage done to the Player when the object collides with her; overrides Damage value for the Player.
float DamageForce: The minimum force the object must hit a target with in order to do damage.
float DamageRate: Only check for damage every X seconds, so as to prevent doing the damage too quickly.

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach (Released!) / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67