TresCom Island

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

TresCom Island

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm... "TresCom Island" sounds awfully similar to "TC Isle", might rename it later. But I'd like to propose a new idea. (No, not a consideration of whether a mosquito sucked the blood of a dinosaur, 100 million years ago...) I have seen Tres: Reloaded -type projects rise and fall over and over again. I see two main reasons for this, beyond the usual PV-curse-associated problems:
  • The older, more complete versions of the game have already been made, and asside from being visible through concept art as always, might possibly come to light one day, and recreate the "holy shit it's already done for us" that PV gave us when it came to us through build 96.
  • People have more passion for creating NEW things of their own design, on the long haul, than for being restricted to a reproduction of the original game.
Sighting this, I think rather than attempting to make Sorna as it was meant to be by the Tres devs, we should invest our time in a total recreation of the island, using our own interests and artistic styles to populate Isla del Coco (did I get the name right?). It's essentially the idea we once had for "TresCom Town", but for the entire island. I propose treating dominions within the level files as "real estate" that can be divided up amongst those who are willing and committed to working on this project.

More news later...

UPDATE:

Here's a tentative list of the available dominion zones on Cocos Island. It's a level-terrain list abbreviated to eliminated duplicates. You don't necessarily need to take on the whole terrain zone... just pick an area anywhere on the island, and name the dominion it falls into. You can be specific now if you want, but I'll only be listing the individuals for each terrain zone. Eventually we can have some sort of competition/discussion to decide who gets what specific areas.
  • BEACH - Tatu, RexHunter
  • JUNGLE ROAD - Tatu, RexHunter
  • PLANTATION HOUSE - Tatu, GlitchHunter
  • INDUSTRIAL JUNGLE -
  • PLAINS - Tatu, RexHunter
  • PINE VALLEY - GlitchHunter
  • ASCENT - Draco
Last edited by Draconisaurus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: TresCom Island

Post by tatu »

As you already know, I'm in. Love the idea.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

I would be interested in this, although right now I can't find the ability to say that I would be committed. :|
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

There, I've updated the first post with a list based on glitch's level dibs, with the addition of myself for Ascent, and Tatu on Plantation House because not only did he discover its existence, he's also had certain exposure to important facets of its nature that will be needed to reconstruct the environment to be found there. ;) If there are any disagreements with the listing just let me know and I can take names off or shuffle them around as needed.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I would like to know. Will this be as you talked about earlier with me, convering the island with just foliage and Mayan objects, or will this have buildings and raptors?

We could always use the skills we have and use the dinosaurs textures and make some regular animals for this region in the world. And could use animated birds etc, just like the bird in the TC levels, and the bees in TC~Island.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

• Nope, it's not the Mayan project I spoke to you of. That one's a secret. ;) This idea is intended to have "buildings and raptors".
  • Making new animals would be quite a project for something like this, but it could happen...
  • The bird in TC Isle doesn't work, last I checked. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but *I* never saw it outside of TresEd.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:
  • The bird in TC Isle doesn't work, last I checked. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but *I* never saw it outside of TresEd.
It does work, but it just flies around in a circle over the lighthouse. ;)
Dr. Grant
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Dr. Grant »

That was an interesting proposal; is it on production or never have it took of? If it were going to be a full remake, correcting north/south axis to match real world would be great; would that be possible? Also, Mount Crick should definitely be added! ;)
Tour Vehicle! XD

Image Image

tatu

Post by tatu »

Due to recent events in life, this project is very much alive, but it's now a two-man project. It will be kinda of a remake. Original levels, with build 96 and other varius dev stuff, and some added places in-game. Most, if not all asset will be original.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

Could you guys do a little write up about the project.
About the scope. What you have done. The hurdles you have taken. What is finished and what is still to come.
I am very curious how this project is coming along :)
tatu

Post by tatu »

Blapeuh wrote:Could you guys do a little write up about the project.
About the scope. What you have done. The hurdles you have taken. What is finished and what is still to come.
I am very curious how this project is coming along :)
BE is almost done. Most of the stuff left is height-fixing. IT is also mostely done, but it still have some fixes to do. Otherwise we plan as we start on the next level. :P

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

This project specifically is effectively dead. What's being worked on now is Trespasser Reloaded proper...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh sorry. This thread is in the Trespasser Reloaded section, so I thought it was about that :P