Tres: Reloaded - JR

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Tres: Reloaded - JR

Post by Draconisaurus »

This thread is for discussion and progress reports on Jungle Road Reloaded.
First off, there seem to be some routes through the level that were cut out, even besides the "hidden valley." We're going to restore those and make them interesting. Also, that worker's camp with the shack.. needs some work, that whole area as you go towards the jeep is extremely boring. This is also where the unused voiceover "Looks like it ran off the trail for some reason..." will go, as the introduction to the Hunters.

Next.. the Plantation House, and all of its little corner off to the side, is going, along with the Mayan stuff, which all goes in PV. We've still got that waterfall in the area.. I'm sure we can come up with some neat stuff to go there. Of course the "yacht beach" is staying, and I think it's pretty well set-up as it is now.. Though, there is a voiceover pertaining to a toy left behind by the little girl, if someone wants to come up with a model for that.

The hidden valley... ranch dressing.. No I mean. The hidden valley with the supposed Trike stampede is going to be fixed.. mostly it just needs to be filled with foliage, which I'll commission off to someone, but also of course.. this whole "stampede" thing.. will need to be figured. Do we want to just do 4 or so Trikes, scripted via AI to make a B-line across part of the valley, or something more mechanical (scripted non-AI trikes moving along, with potentially devastating physics-damage to the player). We'll have to decide.

Oh, as I noted earlier, I'll be examining where all those dirt path terrain objects are and attempting to create a flat, periodically interrupted path among them. As for everything that comes after the Brach encounter, here.. I don't see much room or need of improvement, but if anyone has any ideas, please spill 'em out.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Re: Tres: Reloaded - JR

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I'll post my wtd file but I first need to know the location of the alternate route. All I see is the hidden Valley. I'm not exactly sure where the other path is unless you are referring to the Tire Track Path that runs throughout the level. Could you give me the Coordinates please?

edit: well I fixed the Tire track dirt path. You can take it from here if you like:
Attachments
jr.rar
Jungle Road edited wtd file
(70.1 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm well thank you for posting. I'm afraid your leveling of terrain where the roads go causes too much damage to some important terrain elements in various places. Might make an interesting level of your own design, but not something we can use for Tres: R. As for the alternate paths I was talking about - the Trike you just mentioned, when going backwards, is at the top of one route. The other one is on the OTHER side of the main route at that point, where there is just a bunch of foliage and a fallen palm that you can actually pick up with your hand.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Decided to take this into my hands as JR is my favorite level by far due to the many mysteries it has or had before we got the 1997 walkthrough. For the time being, It's gonna be a mix of Plantation House and Jungle Road. Adding the features of both levels in one. I even plan on doing PH's lost Hunter's Camp in JR somewhere.

Decided to show you just a little snippit of what I've been doing:
Mayan head alcove. I need someone to make a model for that unused texture please. =P

Other things have been added:
-Gate to terminal is now movable but only with a gun and you can slide the bar out of the doors. (warning: May cause a wonky collision bug resulting in a game crash if you aren't careful.) I ported over the Hinge magnets from the Beach level.
-added Double Barrel Shotgun (special thanks to the JPDS team for converting this to a usable Trespasser format finally.)
-Antique Rifle that replaces the M-14 in the Plantation House. (Another JPDS thing. Also, the hand magnets are weird and it seems like it's always like that on every version of the model I've ported to a level for some odd reason...) I felt it was fitting here. Waiting for a TPM version of the Antique/Flintlock Pistol so I can get rid of the Calico in the secret compartment of the Plantation House's first floor.

Planned things:
-Add a bed to the Plantation House because this screenshot shows one:
http://www.trescom.org/index.php?page=image&id=72

-Port over an Albertosaurus to replace the Raptor at the PH. (parts of the House fall apart in the beta believe it or not.)

- Add on parts of the Beach level before the monorail terminal in JR.

So anyway basically, this version of Jungle Road is gonna be based on the old walkthrough as much as possible. Even starting earlier than the final version and making use of the gate and terminal just sitting there for decoration. So as you can see I'm ambitious atm, just like Tres's devs. Let's just hope it doesn't end the same...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

To avoid crashes, I would recommend that you make a new level and just reimport everything. Playing with the original level files can get weird crashes etc.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I'd rather work with the original as a base. The reason being because the objects are already there and I'm aware of the risks. Besides I'm making a ton of back ups as well. But yes. Seems like the game becomes a lot more sensitive to Polygon overload with some imported objects. It really doesn't like the Double Barrel Shotgun in most instances. I may just trash it. Now maybe if I could port over all the object locations from the original level I might try it but that's a pain in the ass. Plus, if there's one thing I really hate doing it's piecing together building collision. Ugh, it's a nightmare. Maybe if I wasn't the only one working on the stage I'd give a crap more but nobody's been modding as of late other than me, General Kenobi, and a hand full of others.

Edit: You know what? Forget it. I wanted to help with this project but if it means rebuilding every single detail of the level from scratch rather than using the actual level then forget it. I'll go back to making other maps... I don't want to have to redo every single object in the level.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

I did do a bit of work on modifying JR - not to any *specific* guides, nor faithfully to the original plans; it's unfinished, but if it's of any interest I might be able to dig it up from an archive somewhere...
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I'm probably gonna still do it. Just putting it on hold now to finish my Giant Forest level. I'm nearly done and ready for a release.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thought I'd give an update here... These images are of work done in 2014/2015. I took it upon myself to use the alpha JR Tatu procured for us as the basis for a retro JR Reloaded level. It contains way more open space. A fair amount of work was accomplished on it, and I intend to finish it at some point. Here are some screens of our work! (Yes, forgot to mention - special thanks to Tatu for foliage placement 8) )

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks pretty good. Was this based on the beta walkthrough, or did you use mostly your own ideas?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TBH, as far as the current content goes, the beta walkthrough elements you'll find in here are a direct result of using Tatu's recovered JR. I added a custom monorail route (using the Mystery Model monorail pieces) and a few things normally found in JR, including that phone stand. Also added construction trailers. Don't want to spoil too much..
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Unfortunately, now there's the issue of the E3/PCgamer textures not wanting to port over. I thought I agreed to work on JR though... oh well... Yours looks better, as always.
tatu

Post by tatu »

No idea why you have an issue with the textures, it worked all fine for me. Exactly what issue do you have?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Dunno but I think I know why now. I exported Bumpmaps... I exported them because I noticed the PCgamer prototype bumpmaps were of a higher quality than the build 96/retail. Turns out it was a bad idea.