Update, October 2012

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Update, October 2012

Post by tatu »

@tatu: here's a screenshot of the beach terrain we had going during our initial development phase, it even has foundations scattering in a rough mock up of what we wanted.
We didn't get very far :P

Think it would be good to start with planning the beach and JR, seems they would remain relatively unchanged in their overall paths between the beta/retail and walkthrough.
Personally I believe that JR was changed quite a lot when they moved parts of PH into it. The beach and the hidden valley might have been part of PH.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

@Tatu: Probably PH. That level's always intrigued me, as has JR. However, for now I'm probably going to mess with PV. I've been around the level in TresEd so many times that it's kind of ridiculous. The triggers in PV are a little irritating atm though. Especially the Geo plant's. However, I could probably cut out the need for the Geo plant by simply having someone else assigned to do SH. I don't think the SH heightmap was much different before being merged with PV and LAB. It was mainly just turning the power on, walking to the INGEN Harbor and solving the puzzles and crap in there iirc. The whole Shores level seems a little anti-climatic and long concept-wise. Probably why it was dropped and split in half.
tatu

Post by tatu »

glitchhunter09 wrote:@Tatu: Probably PH. That level's always intrigued me, as has JR. However, for now I'm probably going to mess with PV. I've been around the level in TresEd so many times that it's kind of ridiculous. The triggers in PV are a little irritating atm though. Especially the Geo plant's. However, I could probably cut out the need for the Geo plant by simply having someone else assigned to do SH. I don't think the SH heightmap was much different before being merged with PV and LAB. It was mainly just turning the power on, walking to the INGEN Harbor and solving the puzzles and crap in there iirc. The whole Shores level seems a little anti-climatic and long concept-wise. Probably why it was dropped and split in half.
Yeah. I actually wonder if we should go with what I believe you said earlier, that PV and LAB is the way they are now. PV will be really short otherwise. Also that would save us time since we don't have to do terrain work for the SH level.

On the other hand. Maybe we can make Shore a hidden level or a bonus level, where we could use the view building etc.?
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

We COULD do two versions of PV and LAB. One version with SH omitted and another with it included as a separate level. But yeah, take into account you'd have to do two sets of complex puzzles and you're looking at a potentially boring level here. Probably why it was split. You not only had to turn the power on, but also had to look for the stupid card keys at the Harbor and use the keypad to get in. It could get pretty boring. Then again, you have other stuff such as the Crane fighting the T-Rex. Those could easily be implemented into the LAB level though. Likewise the other stuff with PV's half of SH.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Are we "remaking" Trespasser, or finishing it?

And how detailed are we going to be in accuracy to the 1997 walkthrough, screenshots, etc.?
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

A little bit of both. Remember, numerous levels and things were dropped from the game during development. We only have some of these assets so we may have to remake others.
tatu

Post by tatu »

awesome24712 wrote:Are we "remaking" Trespasser, or finishing it?

And how detailed are we going to be in accuracy to the 1997 walkthrough, screenshots, etc.?
As Glitch said, a bit of both. The 1997 walkthrough actually have more suggestions in many cases rather than detail. Also the town had many other buildings and since we don't know how they look, and that most of them was never made (confirmed by devs), we will probably use the town already in the game. Anne's voiceover script along with the walkthrough is probably the best source of information. The walkthrough will give us many location where we can use our skill and imagination to the puzzles, since many doesn't have any informations other than a small headline.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: The flower itself is actually in build 96's IJ level. By the pond where you meet the first T-Rex. The reference to E3 might have something to do that they had a huge mud? thing there before the rock-section.
IJ is the E3 demo, the one which featured, among other things, the pickable flower... and that's the reason it's still there in Beta 96.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Should we post in the original threads or new ones be started for each level?
Just think if the first post of thread contained a summary of ideas and plans, so its easier to know whats happening, and discuss.
tatu

Post by tatu »

enigma wrote:Should we post in the original threads or new ones be started for each level?
Just think if the first post of thread contained a summary of ideas and plans, so its easier to know whats happening, and discuss.
Use the original threads when possible. I noted some levels like IJ wasn't even planned for it.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Decided to put this up on Steps To Trespassing:

http://stepstotrespassing.yolasite.com

There's also something else on the main page as well. . .
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

There is a new sub-forum in here "Research" All research related topics are to go in there, development topics will be posted in here. I may go and delete the old topics we wont use with information we dont want/need.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
tatu

Post by tatu »

RexHunter99 wrote:There is a new sub-forum in here "Research" All research related topics are to go in there, development topics will be posted in here. I may go and delete the old topics we wont use with information we dont want/need.
Don't delete any old topic since they still have ideas for levels and it's part of the old project. Rather just let them be there or put them into a new sub-forum. They are still great ideas for fan levels in the future. To many information is lost when deleting them. So DO NOT! :pirate:
tatu

Post by tatu »

This is suppose to be a community project. But for some reason it doesn't seem to be that since there is no discussion on some parts and decisions are made without asking the other members of their opinion. This project will not come very far at all if this continues like this.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Forum organization doesn't have anything to do with the community or any projects, it's an administrative matter. And if anyone is to blame, it should be Drac for making a mess of the forum structure in the first place *without asking anyone* back then when he had administration rights.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files