Update, October 2012

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Update, October 2012

Post by tatu »

I think we found out that the stream acutally fited in the end of the stream in IJ, going a bit into IT and then out in PL.

Also, this version of plains is from 1997. I would guess that the Dam wasn't even created then.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah that makes sense. Speaking of the Dam, Harold Greenwood (as we all know.) wasn't added to the inside until sometime after build 96, which means he was added sometime within one day to a month before the final release. Secrets.doc that came with the source mentions him not being put in as well, indicating that this document was made a little bit before build 96, then abandoned.
Secret Name
Harry Greenwood

Description
Player uses the lever in the floodgate control building, then climbs up into the floodway in the dam, finding the corpse of Harry Greenwood and hearing some special audio and finding a gun.

Implemented?
partially: gates aren't working, corpse and audio isn't in place.

Level
Town

Assigned To
Rich
I have to give Richard some credit here. A lot of the things he was assigned to actually got implemented eventually.

Unfortunately, for some reason the last modified date on the file is December 31st, 2011. Probably has to do with how I extracted it or something like that. As a result, I don't have the last modified date.

Also, maybe we should discuss ideas the devs had for secrets.

Here's a couple more interesting ones:
Secret Name
Dino sex

Description
Anne comes upon two trikes mating. Needs: way to make trikes look like they are mating. The Rear Back Command coupled with a Stay Near of the other trike, which is commanded to stay still, perhaps?
Implemented?
no

Level
any

Assigned To
Nobody
Secret Name
The passive victory

Description
Allow player to "win" if they run the game on the beach for 48 hours. Do something funny and clever like bring up an overlay or print some subtitles when they "win." Have some additional jokes along the way, like something about how hungry or sleepy Anne is after like 12 hours…

Implemented?
no

Level
beach, but could work anywhere, could even be different anywhere

Assigned To
Brian
Secret Name
The flower

Description
Have the pickable flower somewhere. Hitting dinos with it raises their love factor. It only works for a while, and then either disappears or gets replaced with a "wilted" version… Needs: pickable flower (use from E3) and possibly wilted version

Implemented?
no

Level
any

Assigned To
Nobody
Secret Name
Talking Raptor
Description
Player goes somewhere hard to get to and finds a raptor which speaks English instead of growling. Needs: the tion of an extra Dinosaur Type in code in order to support a unique set of vocal samples; raptor speech samples and vocal objects

Implemented?
no.

Level
any

Assigned To
Nobody
Secret Name
UFO
Description
Player goes somewhere and does something specific, and a UFO flies by overhead, using animation system. Needs: ufo asset and animation

Implemented?
no.

Level
any

Assigned To
Nobody
Secret Name
Pet Raptor

Description
put a raptor somewhere hard to get which is on a different team than all other dinos, and which will never kill Anne

Implemented?
no

Level
any

Assigned To
Nobody
This isn't even the end of it. These are just the more interesting ones. Also of note, the Garage Elevator at the Gas Station was supposed to have been lowered at one point. Explains why a voice over was placed over it. Also, I read somewhere that the Hammond voice overs that play on the beach level (which play before Anne knows she's on site B) are supposed to be ghostly echos of the past.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Unfortunately, for some reason the last modified date on the file is December 31st, 2011. Probably has to do with how I extracted it or something like that. As a result, I don't have the last modified date.
If you check the properties of the file you see that it was last saved "1998-09-07".

I believe that Harold might been placed when they still had the Plains level planned, but they had not added him after moving Plains to the Town level.
Secret Name
The flower
The flower itself is actually in build 96's IJ level. By the pond where you meet the first T-Rex. The reference to E3 might have something to do that they had a huge mud? thing there before the rock-section.

About Hammonds voiceover. You can read in the script how they where suppose to be read etc. Also, the voiceover you can find in the gas station isn't its original location, but was used in a sleeping quarters, probably in the long bungalow. I think that VO is suppose to be played if you jump ontop of the gas station, like as Anne doesn't find anything on the roof. :P

But yes. There are so much to discuess. It will get to messy to have everything in this topic, which isn't even the place to talk about it since the topic doesn't have anything to do with it other than if people are interested. :P
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

If it does go ahead, although we could just plan it for the moment, experiment with anything, will the previous threads and information/ideas be unused?
Maybe each level could have its own thread again, and decisions and ideas pushed to the first post. Keep things organised and know what will go into a level, and the layouts.
Pretty sure you can insert an image into google docs drawing, could use it to collaborate on drawing up paths on a basic map of Sorna, where things might be etc.
tatu

Post by tatu »

enigma wrote:If it does go ahead, although we could just plan it for the moment, experiment with anything, will the previous threads and information/ideas be unused?
It would be a shame if they is left unused. I think the ideas that doesn't conflict to much with the devs plans should be used. Also, additional addons to what the devs wanted is something we should use. I guess we'll see what we use. It shouldn't be only what they wanted of course. Some stuff are only noted in the walkthrough or the scripts, and there we can do pretty much what we want.

There is also some conflict in the walkthrough and the scripts, they say two different things but there will be a lot of discussion before we start anything. :)
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

What about the work you and I did in BE and JR that's in a drop box?
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
tatu

Post by tatu »

RexHunter99 wrote:What about the work you and I did in BE and JR that's in a drop box?
Remember that we started working on that with the help of the documents, so that's still vaild.

However, I seem to have lost and forgoten my Dropbox. You wouldn't happen to know what name I used to sign up or anything?
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I think we should have 1-3 people assigned per level. That way things get done and it doesn't get too hectic. I started rebuilding PV from scratch (which admittedly was pretty damn stupid but it would seem a waste to abandon it now.) So I have dibs on PV for now. I might help with JR (as it was and still is my favorite level due to the large number of mysteries in it and stuff.) but I won't be focusing on it alone since I've got PV to deal with. Also, if anyone wants that Plains level .Max file, just PM me or Tatu. (most likely me as I don't think Tatu has it on his current computer.)

I do have stability concerns with the Retail and Beta levels which is why I think we should work on porting the data from the beta levels to a clean level using the respective wtd file for each level as the terrain for the clean level slate. That way things don't get messy. Especially since the Beta levels like to corrupt themselves when things get ported over.

Also other concerns:
-Finding places for the unused Mystery Model Weapons.
-making wtd data for PL, SH, and PH
-Arguing if the Shores level is really necessary as it just seems to be the second half of PV and the first half of Lab in one level with not many differences geographically.
-Arguing if the view building should be put into the levels or not. Likewise that cabin as well.
-Fixing the engine's bugs so that certain developer features planned for levels don't make the engine shit out and die on us.
-Repairing the issues critics liked to target and make fun of, such as the arm.
-Fixing dinosaur animations to where they aren't so broken.

There's a lot of other stuff that could be done but I'm sure everyone is going to argue about what is first on the priorities list.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

tatu wrote:
RexHunter99 wrote:What about the work you and I did in BE and JR that's in a drop box?
Remember that we started working on that with the help of the documents, so that's still vaild.

However, I seem to have lost and forgoten my Dropbox. You wouldn't happen to know what name I used to sign up or anything?
I just downloaded all the files we had on it :P including our own documents. Im going to open the levels so far up and see what we did, IIRC we flattened the beach for the foundations to fit correctly and I made a beach texture object.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
tatu

Post by tatu »

Why should we fix the arm? That's one of the things that makes Trespasser uniqe.

You should talk to hppav Glitch. I remember he fixed several stuf in PV like the puzzles.

I also don't think we should start on this too much before we have planned everything and what we will have and so on. To many projects is abandoned because of poor planning. Good planning will also save us time since we don't have to change everything if somethings comes up after hard work. This requres hard och deep recearch to ever level in Trespasser, it's nothing we can just jump on and start right away. Personally I don't think there is enough people interested in this YET in order to start it. There is to much work for just 2-3 people atm. We need more and alot of planning before that.
I just downloaded all the files we had on it :P including our own documents. Im going to open the levels so far up and see what we did, IIRC we flattened the beach for the foundations to fit correctly and I made a beach texture object.
Lol yeah, we tried to follow the walkthrough. I don't think we did much at all to JR. I actually like Draco's version of BE he started on for this project. The only thing really that was done. It's in the download section at TresCom for anyone who is interested.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

tatu wrote:Why should we fix the arm? That's one of the things that makes Trespasser uniqe.

You should talk to hppav Glitch. I remember he fixed several stuf in PV like the puzzles.

I also don't think we should start on this too much before we have planned everything and what we will have and so on. To many projects is abandoned because of poor planning. Good planning will also save us time since we don't have to change everything if somethings comes up after hard work. This requres hard och deep recearch to ever level in Trespasser, it's nothing we can just jump on and start right away. Personally I don't think there is enough people interested in this YET in order to start it. There is to much work for just 2-3 people atm. We need more and alot of planning before that.
Lol yeah, we tried to follow the walkthrough. I don't think we did much at all to JR. I actually like Draco's version of BE he started on for this project. The only thing really that was done. It's in the download section at TresCom for anyone who is interested.
If I got the source-code to compile the only thing in regards to her arm I would modify is trying to fix how her wrist can rotate far too much, like doing 360 degree turns :P I like it how it is, makes the game a challenge for newbies which is how it should be. There's a reason the game tells you to spend some time practising on the Beach.
Planning the whole project in advance *could* be better but I find that community projects tend to disband if all you do is talk, perhaps we should focus on one or two levels, figure out how we want to work on them (I opt for the dropbox method, or the Subversion repo or something to make sharing changes easier)

@Glitch, feel free to tackle that demon, Draco and I went nuts trying to do stuff on making Pine Valley BEFORE we got the beta and after it, so you're welcome to go at it full blast. One of the big issues I think I remember for the 96 version is that the fan physics touch the sides of their housing, so they jam.

I have an idea for BE, either we can shorten it to the original length (to the fences) or keep it just as long as before, but I think keeping it short may be a good idea to set up the atmosphere, instead of throwing dinosaurs at the player immediately, just spook them out with strange calls that can be heard from the cliffs around them, that way they get jittery, by the time JR starts (on the other side of the fences) the player will be spooked enough to be looking over their shoulder quite frequently... I also wouldn't mind figuring out some way to script random encounters, to help spice each play through, up a little. One thing I had a problem with Trespasser was that typically dino encounters were static, you could anticipate them before they occured, example: Harbours container attack where the raptors spawn just as you approach the container maze. I gave that area a wide berth at first and came back when I had the MP5K.

I think I would enjoy working on the town, Ascent and perhaps plains, I'll probably have to help out with the Lab and the complex areas of certain maps due to Scripting experience though.

But my 2 cents? We should think small first, not big. Plan one or two levels ahead and be aware we might make hasty changes in a heartbeat while we work on the level due to some unforseen conflict.
EpicZen
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Right now, the main issue I'm having with PV is getting the stupid green light texture to be read by stupid Geomadd. For some reason it's not extracting with the Red.bmp tpm. I think I'll hold off on the Geothermal plant until I get everything else ported over.

Also since Hppav and I live in the same state, we talked about doing a joint project possibly in the future. Though that depends upon how busy our personal lives are.
tatu

Post by tatu »

If I got the source-code to compile the only thing in regards to her arm I would modify is trying to fix how her wrist can rotate far too much, like doing 360 degree turns :P I like it how it is, makes the game a challenge for newbies which is how it should be. There's a reason the game tells you to spend some time practising on the Beach.
Planning the whole project in advance *could* be better but I find that community projects tend to disband if all you do is talk, perhaps we should focus on one or two levels, figure out how we want to work on them (I opt for the dropbox method, or the Subversion repo or something to make sharing changes easier)
I see, you are right there. So we got Glitch on Pine Valley, and hppav got a lot of information on that one too, if he's interested. Also, since Glitch is really into it now, that's really fantastic cause there isn't many here who actually knows the beta levels in detail so that's really useful.
I have an idea for BE, either we can shorten it to the original length (to the fences) or keep it just as long as before, but I think keeping it short may be a good idea to set up the atmosphere, instead of throwing dinosaurs at the player immediately, just spook them out with strange calls that can be heard from the cliffs around them, that way they get jittery, by the time JR starts (on the other side of the fences) the player will be spooked enough to be looking over their shoulder quite frequently... I also wouldn't mind figuring out some way to script random encounters, to help spice each play through, up a little. One thing I had a problem with Trespasser was that typically dino encounters were static, you could anticipate them before they occured, example: Harbours container attack where the raptors spawn just as you approach the container maze. I gave that area a wide berth at first and came back when I had the MP5K.
For BE: I think we could actually make the beach bigger itself, and add alot of different fun puzzles for the player to learn the game. More like a playground, with some funny rewards or something.

I love the way with the random encounters. We could use the ATX fuction for that, and making many different versions for each level. One thing with the source. We should really try to fix so we can have many more dinosaurs active at the same time, so we can have pack of raptors, or treceratops etc. That would be really nice for Plains.
I think I would enjoy working on the town, Ascent and perhaps plains, I'll probably have to help out with the Lab and the complex areas of certain maps due to Scripting experience though.
I would enjoy working on any level really. But I think we should start with one or two, depending on who wants to work on which level. We already got PV in works. And you Rex are atm working on the source. I have actually started to work on the town, and I remember I did alot of research on it about 2 years ago (nothing I ever wrote here). I will upload it some day soon. I've been doing modification to the build 96 one, and I'm going to do alot of changes so its a combination of build 96 and 116d (and 117), probably removing the Plains part too.

Atm, I think everyone can feel free to play around doing changes to any level they want, just to learn how the level is and so on. Until we really assign people to each level. I'm also going to try to put together some research I did about 2 years back which will probably be interesting and needed info, it will probably help us with stuff like how much they deleted various objects.

@ Glitch: Is there any other level you feel like working on at the moment? If you want, you could just spend some time in TresEd and take a look at various beta and retail levels and get a feeling of them, with triggers and so on.

Another thing I think we should think about in all levels, is the amount of guns. There only place I think should be rich in such is locations like the lab, the town, harbor etc, and maybe if you stuble across a dead guy or a car. Not just laying in a random place. I also thing we should think about if we should make all the guns have different ammo, which is really easy since you just do it the same way to make a copy of a dinosaur mesh, but you just change the ammo count.
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Less guns, or more logical gun positions would be ideal, kind of what took Trespasser to a survival game to a easy FPS with all the weapons being found every dozen or so metres. Could always have small random weapon caches near hunter activity, a static crate with one or two weapons, sealed from the elements for realism. In long stretches like the path from the plantation house to town, or the ascent levels, it seems it was devoid of any Ingen activity, be useful to have a crate that may spawn near a hunter vehicle.
Rusted dud weapons too :p

I don't know about doing a level myself, but anything that may not have as much work on it by anyone else yet when it comes to it, but should be able to meet most model or texture needs, as well as fixing any UV's or such on original meshes. Am interested in the Summit, but that's some way off, so until we hopefully get to that point, I'd probably try it, got some ideas that'd breathe life into the area and the end of ascent2, not to go too far from the original walkthrough though.
It would actually be great to have a scene like this:

Think it would be good to start with planning the beach and JR, seems they would remain relatively unchanged in their overall paths between the beta/retail and walkthrough.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

@tatu: here's a screenshot of the beach terrain we had going during our initial development phase, it even has foundations scattering in a rough mock up of what we wanted.
1680x1050 for good detail, click to get fullsize

As for weapons, I'd like to have a some weathered versions of the weapons perhaps... it would be great if we had someone who sounded like Anne to make a few extra voice-overs like, "Damn it's jammed!" or for Anne to get panicked when her ammo gets low, so... she starts to get a bit shouty when she's got two rounds left. Instead of her usual calm manner, that would be awesome.

If I manage to get us a working build of the source-code, I'll try and fix her jumping (since its the 116 code, not 117) maybe add an option for a pain screen instead of her boob tatoo, so the screen gets redder and redder at the edges and as she draws close to death, the edges begin fading to black as if she's close to unconciousness.

In regards to the code, I've got almost all the individual libraries building except for two of them, and the final "trespass" project which is the actual game .exe, I'm not sure it works until I can get the .exe because last time I built the game I got all those crashes before it even started past the DirectX Certified Drivers error.
Cross your fingers for that.
EpicZen