Flint Lock Guns in Plantation House?

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Flint Lock Guns in Plantation House?

Post by glitchhunter09 »

You know the Flint Lock weapons listed here in the unused section?
http://www.trescom.org/index.php?page=article&id=16
Well I was thinking that they would be found in the Plantation House as it would be the only place where they would fit in. They probably would also have been one of the one level exclusive rare weapons you'd find. Similar to Hammond's Revolver or Nedry's Medieval Mace. As a result, they would also probably be pretty strong but with limited ammo like Hammond's Revolver is.

I know the project's cancelled but I figured I'd post this here just in case somebody decides to start it up again. ;)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Flint Lock Guns in Plantation House?

Post by tatu »

I think they would go there too. But I don't think they would be that powerfull since they are old, but I don't know much about guns hehe. My guess they would be there to fit with the building :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Could be as similarly powerful as Hammond's revolver, say..
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Never really thought about it, but it would make sense for them to be there. Although it would have been awkward to have multiple shots, unless they had planned to make a reloading animation for it, so maybe it was supposed to have just one powerful shot? :?:

Nice topic. Learning something new every day :)
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Well, despite being low standard compared to today's bullets, musketballs could shatter a hole in a human's bones if they hit. In the times they were around, there wasn't good medical treatment for a bullet wound of this kind so typically it would result in amputation of a limb if it shot one.

Flint lock rifles were used like today's sniper rifles typically are, except without the scope. Flintlock rifles were typically much more accurate than your average flintlock pistol or shotgun. Typically, musketballs fired from rifles either spun in the air more than the regular flintlock weapons' musketballs at the time. In the US Revolutionary war, there were special soldiers used to fire these rifles from a distance. Usually overlooking their targets from a cliff or hill.
Smissen
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Smissen »

I never knew they had plans to make flintlock weapons in Trespasser. But
If you lads want multiple shots,how do you want to make a reload animation
with one hand (or you have to animate the other hand in some way)? And
since flintlock muskets used round balls in most cases,they cause less damage then
bullets from the 20th century. Also,dinosaur scales are hard to penetrate and
not mentioning the accuracy muskets had ;-)

I shoot muzzleloaders (both flintlock and percussion) with Civil War
and Napoleonic wars reenactment.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Maybe they weren't meant to be used and just planned to be added as eye candy.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Smissen wrote:I never knew they had plans to make flintlock weapons in Trespasser. But
If you lads want multiple shots,how do you want to make a reload animation
with one hand (or you have to animate the other hand in some way)? And
since flintlock muskets used round balls in most cases,they cause less damage then
bullets from the 20th century. Also,dinosaur scales are hard to penetrate and
not mentioning the accuracy muskets had ;-)

I shoot muzzleloaders (both flintlock and percussion) with Civil War
and Napoleonic wars reenactment.
One idea I had (that actually went into testing for a little bit) was to have screen overlays via T-Script to put in animations for shooting and reloading, and the gun would turn invisible when you picked it up, and then a target/sight/reticle would appear that would be attached the end of the invisible gun, so you could still aim it. I never went through with it though.

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Smissen
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Smissen »

Here a short video how to reload and fire a muzzleloader flintlock musket:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho-QCmnN ... re=related][/youtube]
Hilwo wrote:Maybe they weren't meant to be used and just planned to be added as eye candy.
That would be plausible :P. Anyways,seeing that reloading and shooting a musket properly
is precision work and hard to animate,particularly in the 90's. Also,you need blackpowder (which
is very hard to handle in humid area's like the jungle) and a flintstone to 'operate' a musket ;-)
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Smissen wrote:Anyways,seeing that reloading and shooting a musket properly
is precision work and hard to animate,particularly in the 90's. Also,you need blackpowder (which
is very hard to handle in humid area's like the jungle) and a flintstone to 'operate' a musket
Well, you could only have one shot that's pre-loaded (back then, you didn't want to have to waste thirty seconds before solving a crisis), or like some older games of the time (like 007 Goldeneye N64), you could have the reloading animation being the gun dropping out of sight and then popping back up fully-loaded.

Post benchamrks:
Smissen
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Smissen »

awesome24712 wrote:
is very hard to handle in humid area's like the jungle) and a flintstone to 'operate' a musket
Well, you could only have one shot that's pre-loaded (back then, you didn't want to have to waste thirty seconds before solving a crisis), or like some older games of the time (like 007 Goldeneye N64), you could have the reloading animation being the gun dropping out of sight and then popping back up fully-loaded.
Nice suggestion but the problem with muskets is the climate effecting the black powder. If you leave blackpowder too
long in the musket (especially in humid area's like the jungle) the black powder becomes unusable and refuses to
ignite. Sorry to break any dreams but this may hence why the developers of Trespasser didn't put the two
weapons ingame.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Smissen wrote:
awesome24712 wrote:
Nice suggestion but the problem with muskets is the climate effecting the black powder. If you leave blackpowder too
long in the musket (especially in humid area's like the jungle) the black powder becomes unusable and refuses to
ignite. Sorry to break any dreams but this may hence why the developers of Trespasser didn't put the two
weapons ingame.
So. . .

The raptor's chasing you into the plantation house, oh no! It's about to get inside, it's breaking through the window, need to find a gun! Hey, there's one above the fireplace, take it. It's an old flintlock, but it's already loaded. The raptor's almost in! Ready, aim, fire! Oh no, it didn't fire, run!

Although it may have not been able to fire, rather than just eye candy it could have been something to lead the player astray.

Post benchamrks:
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Personally I'm not sure the devs would have been *that* concerned with that degree of accuracy; I think they could have gotten away with including a single-shot gun at some point.. Most likely not included properly as they had more important things to do - there are enough weapons on the island as is, they don't need a bucketload more if the dino AI needs refining. :P
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
Smissen
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Smissen »

awesome24712 wrote: So. . .

The raptor's chasing you into the plantation house, oh no! It's about to get inside, it's breaking through the window, need to find a gun! Hey, there's one above the fireplace, take it. It's an old flintlock, but it's already loaded. The raptor's almost in! Ready, aim, fire! Oh no, it didn't fire, run!

Although it may have not been able to fire, rather than just eye candy it could have been something to lead the player astray.
Or the player could use it as a nasty club,like they did before they invented the bayonet in the early
1700's. Practical eye candy ;-)