Tres: Reloaded - AS

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Tres: Reloaded - AS

Post by Draconisaurus »

This thread is for discussion and progress reports on all Ascent Reloaded levels (assuming they are split up).
The Ascent begins just as Anne finally makes her way out of the maze of dino pens and holding facilities. A road leads up and away, curving up towards Mount Watson. A dangerous-looking canyon greets her eyes in the same direction... Off to the left is a friendly-looking forest path. :3 She decides.

Forest Path:
This follows essentially the same path that Ascent1 follows in the retail, however I intend for it to be greatly changed-up and a more exciting (and fresh) experience. This path is in fact anything but friendly and covers greater area along the same route as Ascent1. Along this path, Anne finds the remains of various dead hunters, and recalls the descriptions in Hammond's memoir. Hidden within this region is the illusive Hunters Camp - Anne has finally found it. When she reaches the seashore, she finds the continuation of the railroad tracks from the harbor. She can choose to follow these precarious tracks around the edge of the island or go up-hill, towards the mountain. Up the hill, she finds a lost Mayan village, which is surely as far west as the Mayans ever came. And of course, at the pyramid, she meets up with an Alpha Rex. Good thing she saved a toxin rifle from the Pens. After all that, she continues along the foothills of the mountain, finding more Mayan ruins and dead hunters. If Anne instead followed the tracks, she reaches an impasse in the rail (which proved a bit treacherous, anyway) and moves toward the mountain. She climbs.. and climbs.. and climbs.

Danger Canyon:
The road leading from the exit to the Pens goes into a small canyon. It just so happens to be infested with hungry tribe-C velociraptors, who are used to eating only birds and tiny lizards. They see a banquet on legs heading their way and make a B-line... After surviving all that, finding some dead hunters along the way and recalling descriptions from Hammond, she comes out of the canyon and finds the other end of the road which lead in from the Plains but was cut off. Continuing along, the road heads east and down a ways - passing relatively close by a hidden early colonial village, which she may choose to visit ;) (if we have time to build it, haha). The road starts climbing up the mountain, winding back and forth as it goes.. back and forth.. back and forth..

Finally the two paths meet up with each other when the Forest Path, now anything but foresty, meets a bend in the InGen road. Anne continues forward, staving off hungry raptors as she goes. At some point, she reaches a clear vantage point, and for a moment the upper-mountain mist parts... and she can see out across the island, all to the sound of magnificent music. Shortly ahead, she finds the elevator used to lift materials up to the Mountaintop Facility. The lift is half-way up the elevator.. She eventually figures out how to bring it down to the ground where she can get on. It's then an easy flip of a switch on the lift to bring her up to the peaceful summit of Mt. Watson...
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Tres: Reloaded - AS

Post by RexHunter99 »

Bitch, how dare you lock MSN >.>

So anyways, I was thinking that it seems rather... inaccurate that Anne magically knows these dead men, I mean, they no longer have faces, how can she discern them apart form some tattered cloth and maybe a lucky charm? Would it not be better to actually play the VOs as she approaches, as if Hammond was reciting them all while she sees the bones, tattered clothing and some empty (or nearly empty) weapons? This not only seems more accurate to Anne as a person since she never knew these men, nor does she have the means to tell their bones apart (asides form maybe some small details)

Also, the raptors once again prove to be a problem. Since these are mountain dwelling raptors they've become rather nasty, they survive with seemingly hopeless odds thrown at them so they'd be a lot harder to get rid of than a raptor who's used to a larger predator taking the kill. I think mainly the thing here would be that Anne has scarce ammunition, her reserves low and the raptors approaching she has to use wit to defeat these foes, tricking them into jumping at her and falling to their own demise would be a good tactic (and somewhat realistic, since a starving raptor would be desperate to get at her, (being the banquet she is) and of course brings back the players love of watching a raptor topple down the side of the mountain. (don't we all love it?)

As an added effect, we should also add into the mix, falling stones, rocks and possibly even deadly boulders, I've always loved how Turok Evolution's ascent in the first chapter had boulders toppling from the cliffs above...
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Meh, I don't think "knowing their names" is a big problem. I think it's more for effect, that Hammond is heard describing some of the dead hunters. For all we know, Anne is remembering the names with the wrong remains, so who cares? :yum:
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

RexHunter99 wrote:tricking them into jumping at her and falling to their own demise would be a good tactic
Lol, I tried that, when I was playing first time xP. That didn't end up that well.. Actually, it was me who fell down the mountain and not the raptors xD.
As an added effect, we should also add into the mix, falling stones, rocks and possibly even deadly boulders
Uuuhh, falling stones! Yay! There HAVE to be falling stones!
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Lol alright, falling stones it is... Trick will be how to make it so the player can trigger them effectively as weapons/"traps".
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

How about in JPDS-testing? As far as I remember, there are some falling stones, which kills the Alberta..
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well yeah, it's pretty easy to do. Though in JPDS~testing, it's just a test.. the stones are activated simply by the Alberta walking into the area where they fall. We'd want it to make a little more sense I guess.. maybe..
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Maybe.. Also! If/when the stones are falling down, maybe the raptors could move away from the stones because they know what's going to happen, when they hear the sound :). That'll make it a bit more difficult for the player (still, it shouldn't be too difficult, but a bit of a challenge dosn't hurt ;)).
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well sure but how do you do that? :yum: It may be difficult enough as it is to set it up so the player can use it effectively, without also somehow scripting the raptors to have a chance of moving away once it starts.. Idk, we'd have to wait until there is a working version of the trap in the level before assessing if it could be made more difficult.
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Maybe with the ActStayAway value? :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well yeah, you could use that, or ActGetOut if you teleport an AI box there, or ActStayNear with a target far-off from the trap. The questions are such as, considering the speed of falling rocks, would raptors react fast enough? (generally the AI actions of Tres raptors are not terribly quick) and What would cause the raptors to back off? If the falling rocks themselves cause this, I doubt seriously any of them would move away in time - especially since they almost always seem to put priority in hunting the player, which would already be going on before you'd alter their AI.
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Oh, yes.. That can be a problem. But it also depends on how far away the stones are from the raptors. Anyway, they don't have to move away, when the stones are falling x3