Tres: Reloaded - BH

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Tres: Reloaded - BH

Post by Draconisaurus »

This thread is for discussion and progress reports on Boat House, part of the expanded level set.
After the grueling ordeal of the Swamplands, Anne has gotten back on the railroad and arrives at a slightly less muddy region of the island where pines prevail instead of swamp trees and the sun is rising. Along the rocky beaches, she finds an old InGen boat house. What exactly was its purpose? The project leader should figure this out, but the main harbor was probably used primarily for shipping traffic across the Pacific. Was the boat house here a small harbor, a minor dock, or just a boating house with a wooden pier? That's yet to be decided, and will characterize what all is to be found in the level. If it's a major installation, the train will undoubtedly have a major stop here, or perhaps it would anyway. Mount Watson towers over the level off in the West, giving a rather epic feel to the landscape, though the mountain cannot be approached from here. There is the possibility of Mayan ruins being found here, if the project leader so chooses. Boat House can also be entered from the far northeast corner of Ascent. Other than that, there is only the fact that Anne must somehow be able to escape the island by boat; an alternate boss (or possibly an alternate appearance of the giant raptor) will need to be planned appropriately for the final event.

Note: We may wish to place the "control tower" locale in this level instead of Train Station, depending on how we want to work each location..
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Tres: Reloaded - BH

Post by Draconisaurus »

Boat house reference research! Here goes!

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Aaaand.. here is an image that came up in the search (apparently a boat house is in the distance):

So beautyful. :| And a perfect environment for the level.

Discuss! We need to know which type of boat house we want, and/or if we want to combine some of the types..
TheRaptorKiller
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by TheRaptorKiller »

Great research Draco. I like these
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3041/9 ... ullswa.jpg This on is really neat I like the way it looks.
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4290 ... se2470.jpg (just cause I get to see the inside)
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4736/boathousel.jpg I think this one is the most practical and the one everyone imagines a boat house should be.
Trespasser Movie Project - Private
"HALO ROCKS AND JUST WONT STOPS!" Trent Ferdig after watching new halo:reach trailer. In God we Trust
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm alright. Those were some of my favorites as well - that first one especially but I'm not sure how likely it is InGen would make one like that. But I'd love to build and texture such a thing myself, if it did look like that. :yum: And yes, the second there is basically our prime reference for the interior..
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
-=TresCom Administrator=-

Post by Nem »

I quite like this one: Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. :yum: I agree, it's quite cool... One of the reasons I chose it was for the awesome landscape which could match the level pretty well. I can just imagine walking through all that, never suspecting that a quiet raptor is stalking you...

EDIT: Whoa, I've found a bunch of images of this one boat house: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&s ... a=N&tab=wi :| Cool!
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Draconisaurus wrote:This thread is for discussion and progress reports on Boat House, part of the expanded level set.
After the grueling ordeal of the Swamplands, Anne has gotten back on the railroad and arrives at a slightly less muddy region of the island where pines prevail instead of swamp trees and the sun is rising. Along the rocky beaches, she finds an old InGen boat house. What exactly was its purpose? The project leader should figure this out, but the main harbor was probably used primarily for shipping traffic across the Pacific. Was the boat house here a small harbor, a minor dock, or just a boating house with a wooden pier? That's yet to be decided, and will characterize what all is to be found in the level. If it's a major installation, the train will undoubtedly have a major stop here, or perhaps it would anyway. Mount Watson towers over the level off in the West, giving a rather epic feel to the landscape, though the mountain cannot be approached from here. There is the possibility of Mayan ruins being found here, if the project leader so chooses. Boat House can also be entered from the far northeast corner of Ascent. Other than that, there is only the fact that Anne must somehow be able to escape the island by boat; an alternate boss (or possibly an alternate appearance of the giant raptor) will need to be planned appropriately for the final event.

Note: We may wish to place the "control tower" locale in this level instead of Train Station, depending on how we want to work each location..

Alright here are my ideas of the boathouse. Of course the initial inspiration is the part of TLW the novel; they find a boathouse and escape by boat. So here are some of the things I'm thinking:

-The boathouse is near the ocean, but not right on the ocean. It connects to the ocean by way of river (which gives me a vision of the Win sequence being similar to the river scene in JP3 with the dinosaur herds)
-Now a thought occured that maybe there was a river system used for travel on the island as well (raptor boat from jp3 as evidence)...maybe the boathouse is a hub where boats were repaired and dispatched. Or maybe it was just a back up...set up as a means of escape should that be needed.
-another maybe: maybe ingen didn't build the boathouse, it was there prior to their construction....could possibly tie this in with the smugglers and the plane???
-I think there should be a new boss, not the Boss raptor. I'm thinking here is where we could use another pivotal scene from the tlw novel for inspiration. (BTW what time of day is this level planned for?)
-Also I think it would be cool to have a large temple with some cool explorable portions to it somewhere in this level
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:-The boathouse is near the ocean, but not right on the ocean. It connects to the ocean by way of river (which gives me a vision of the Win sequence being similar to the river scene in JP3 with the dinosaur herds)
Aha. Having it on a river is probably the best idea - it would also better allow for recreating some of these boat house scenes I've found... Meh we'll see how it works as an end sequence - it is personally reminding me more of the JP Rampage Edition win sequence for playing as the raptor.. which was a pretty tight scene.
-Now a thought occured that maybe there was a river system used for travel on the island as well (raptor boat from jp3 as evidence)...maybe the boathouse is a hub where boats were repaired and dispatched.
Interesting idea. That would require significant planning, though, and I'm not sure it would be easy to fit in an island river system without mucking up other levels.. :?
Or maybe it was just a back up...set up as a means of escape should that be needed.
Maybe. Works better but it is a bit vague..
-another maybe: maybe ingen didn't build the boathouse, it was there prior to their construction....could possibly tie this in with the smugglers and the plane???
ooooo. Sounds interesting, and I was originally thinking that'd be a great way to have it look nice and old.. Of course then there wouldn't be a train stop there, but oh well. Maybe we could say it was used by the builders of the Plantation House, and then used in secret by other parties such as the Smugglers..
-I think there should be a new boss, not the Boss raptor. I'm thinking here is where we could use another pivotal scene from the tlw novel for inspiration. (BTW what time of day is this level planned for?)
Well if you're suggesting the Carno, I don't think that should go here. As for the time of day - I believe it's actually going to be daytime (since TS is at night and thus SL should be at dawn), though we could make it very overcast if needed for setting a more mysterious/creepy mood.
-Also I think it would be cool to have a large temple with some cool explorable portions to it somewhere in this level
Totally.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Yeah the carnos should be at night. Yeah I'm leaning towards the boathouse being smuggler related. That might be cool...doesn't make it a huge part of the plot of the game other than offering an escape route.

Yeah I would say this area doesn't need a train stop. I think most of the stuff here will be unrelated to Ingen.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Right... Well then, I just might model this place myself in a few days, it's sounding very interesting. :P And I believe I have many potentially useful texture material, given its decided history..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Not quite related, but maybe these will interest you:

I've been told they were supposed to be for actual cabins next to a river in a rural property... you could model them and place them next to the actual boathouse.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmmm.... Not too shab... May come in handy.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

I was just thinking...some structure (or structures) should be destructable in BH. And since this is one of the potential end game points, there should be a significant "boss" dinosaur.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That would be pretty neat. There's already one other structure in Tres R planned to be destructible. But yeah - we need to decide on a dino boss for BH. Perhaps we should keep it a surprise for most people? PM me if you have ideas.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

How about a Spinosaurus? Just like in JP3, the spino could rise out of the river.