New Dinos?

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

New Dinos?

Post by Draconisaurus »

Should we include any new dinosaurs in Tres: Reloaded? I think it's evident from the voiceovers that the Stegosaurus and Parasaurolophus were not originally intended for the game (also suggested by Hammond saying Brachiosaur was the oldest - Stegosaurus would actually be the oldest). I bet there were more than Rexes, Raptors, Trikes and Brachs, though, in the original plan. What other dinosaurs might have been there? What about that Dimetrodon in the demo ending screen? ;)

...! I was just thinking about dinosaurs from the first two movies that were not in Trespasser. ActRam... I wonder if a Pachy was planned. I've never been a big fan of the dino, but maybe....
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: New Dinos?

Post by Second Illiteration »

I think there should be new dinos...maybe in spots where some old ones were. Cut down a bit on having a raptor every 200 yds. I know having that kind of thing adds to the excitement, but it would be cool to see a more balanced eco system of herbivores to carnivores
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:Cut down a bit on having a raptor every 200 yds. I know having that kind of thing adds to the excitement, but it would be cool to see a more balanced eco system of herbivores to carnivores
Oh I already planned for that. There are just waaaaayyyy too many raptors haha. I read in TLW that there should actually be more herbivores than predators. So we'll want to have relatively frequent "heards".. I bet with some simple AI, we could fit 5-6 fully active herbies in a given area, if we wanted.. Maybe more, dunno. And of course plenty of loners and pairs. But yes - raptors and weapons are going to be far less frequent in our version of the game, that's for sure. It's another nice reason for expanding the playable area of the game.. providing more potential dino encounters for the game as a whole with reduced density. This aspect of Tres: R is part of the design scheme to make it all more like the devs originally planned..

Still, I wanna know WHAT other dinosaur species we should bring in..

...Remember that complaint we read about baby dinos being simply shot by players, and possibly thus being removed? Well if we provide only limited ammo, it would certainly make the player think twice about wasting it on a non-threat..
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I think the Compsognathus and Gallimimus should definitely be added in. Maybe Pachycephalosaurus and Mamenchisaurus too.
TheRaptorKiller
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by TheRaptorKiller »

LOL
BABY DINO KILLERS!!!!!!!!!
If possible add as many dinos as possible it maybe a little ambitious but why not atleast two of each of all the species? There are only about 25 species in total and we already have like half of them -- I know for suer we already have the ones in bold but im unsure of the other ones I think we do have a pachy and may be a ankylosaurus. IM UNSURE OF THE SITE WITH ALL OF THE DINOSAURS THAT machf converted from JP:OG.
List from JPLegacy:
1. Compsognathus longipes
2. Stegosaurus stenops "gigas" (*)
3. Brachiosaurus brancai (*)
4. Dilophosaurus "venenifer" (*)

5. Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis
6. Mamenchisaurus constructus
7. Parasaurolophus walkeri "androgens" (*)
8. Gallimimus bullatus
9. Tyrannosaurus rex
10. Triceratops horridus
11. Velociraptor "antirrhopus nublarensis" sensu Paul (*)
12. Velociraptor "antirrhopus sornaensis" sensu Paul (*)
13. Pteranodon longiceps "hippocratesi" (*)

14. Pteranodon longiceps
15. Pteranodon sternbergi (?)
16. Spinosaurus aegyptiacus "robustus" (*)
17. Corythosaurus casuarius

18. Ankylosaurus magniventris
19. Ceratosaurus nasicornis
20. Apatosaurus excelsus
21. Hadrosaurus foulkii (?)
22. Leptoceratops gracilis (?)
23. Maisaura peeblesorum (?)
24. Muttaburrasaurus langdoni (?)
25. Anatotitan copei (?)

The plains would be sure to have TONS of herbivores, if it's green and has a lake near by or something like the beginning of Jurassic Park where they first meet the Brach but still I think we could include all of these dinos......................IDK
Trespasser Movie Project - Private
"HALO ROCKS AND JUST WONT STOPS!" Trent Ferdig after watching new halo:reach trailer. In God we Trust
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wow, quite a list.. Well we shall see. We're definitely not going to attempt to put ALL of the dinos in, jeez... We want to see some regularity around the island, for realism, but obviously isolated pockets of dinos is possible (isolated pockets does not equal two, btw).

Any more specific suggestions..?
TheRaptorKiller
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by TheRaptorKiller »

Draconisaurus wrote:Wow, quite a list.. Well we shall see. We're definitely not going to attempt to put ALL of the dinos in, jeez... We want to see some regularity around the island, for realism, but obviously isolated pockets of dinos is possible (isolated pockets does not equal two, btw).

Any more specific suggestions..?
Yeah I know Tres Has it's limits in the Dino department but I think most of them would quite nicely make for some beauty around the island, and I am sure many of the Dinosaurs move across the island quite frequently some of them probably circling the island continually, like the Bigger Herbivores which cant stay in one area because they would completely destroy the vegetation in that area. By pockets you mean like 4 or 5 in one area for instance "we will see a small herd of gallimimus on the plains."
Trespasser Movie Project - Private
"HALO ROCKS AND JUST WONT STOPS!" Trent Ferdig after watching new halo:reach trailer. In God we Trust
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

a few other dinos we have

Carnotaurus
Crylophosaurus

As for having lots of different species. I'm thinking (as you probably are to Draco) that certain species would only appear on certain portions of the island, i.e. they've carved out their territory. So that could allow using more different species without making it too crowded...

Also, we could try some big herd scenes...in the past I've mentioned some ideas I've had, maybe we could discuss this further to see if there is some way to do it...in fact I'm thinking the way in which some animation Machf has done could be the ticket/ possible with some interesting results

And just to note on the novel: in the actual novel there were way more carnivores on the island than would be naturally sustainable in that ecosystem, but was held up due to the large amount of herbivore death do to DX. I want to say a normal pred/herb dichotomy at least mentioned somewhere is 1 for every 25...and animals as big as dinos would also have LARGE territories.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:There are just waaaaayyyy too many raptors haha.
Right, and may add some traps so the player got to think a little more?

And we should defenalty have a least a few new dinosaurs
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:a few other dinos we have

Carnotaurus
Crylophosaurus
Oh yeah, Carno could work well if done properly.. Don't want to just throw then in there for the fun of it.
As for having lots of different species. I'm thinking (as you probably are to Draco) that certain species would only appear on certain portions of the island, i.e. they've carved out their territory. So that could allow using more different species without making it too crowded...
Pretty much, yeah. I also think that there would sometimes be more than one "herd", so you might find a herd of Trikes in the "hidden valley", and then another equally large one across the island somewhere.. but not everywhere or randomly.
Also, we could try some big herd scenes...in the past I've mentioned some ideas I've had, maybe we could discuss this further to see if there is some way to do it...in fact I'm thinking the way in which some animation Machf has done could be the ticket/ possible with some interesting results
All the methods I can think of stand a chance of looking pretty fake, unless you put LOOTS of planning into it. If someone wants to try setting this up, and it actually works, I don't see why it couldn't go in the game somewhere. A trike stampede in the hidden valley would be sweet - though perhaps we'd want to find a larger area (and no there are no trikes in the Plains).

And just to note on the novel: in the actual novel there were way more carnivores on the island than would be naturally sustainable in that ecosystem, but was held up due to the large amount of herbivore death do to DX.
Ahh yes, I was trying to remember that part.. thanks.
I want to say a normal pred/herb dichotomy at least mentioned somewhere is 1 for every 25...and animals as big as dinos would also have LARGE territories.
Yeah.. hmmm.
tatu wrote:Right, and may add some traps so the player got to think a little more?
Hmmm.. What exactly do you mean by "traps"? There will certainly be a few more in the Mayan zones..
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote: Oh yeah, Carno could work well if done properly.. Don't want to just throw then in there for the fun of it.
Well you already know of what my idea of the proper way to do it :)
Pretty much, yeah. I also think that there would sometimes be more than one "herd", so you might find a herd of Trikes in the "hidden valley", and then another equally large one across the island somewhere.. but not everywhere or randomly.
Agreed
All the methods I can think of stand a chance of looking pretty fake, unless you put LOOTS of planning into it. If someone wants to try setting this up, and it actually works, I don't see why it couldn't go in the game somewhere. A trike stampede in the hidden valley would be sweet - though perhaps we'd want to find a larger area (and no there are no trikes in the Plains).
well...there were a couple ideas I had. And my idea of seeing a herd, at least the major one I had, was being high on a cliff, seeing one off in the distance or something like that. Def not something that you would interact with, just a visual. The one idea I had was using a billboard and having some kind of animation. But the other way would be like how Machf did the carno and a flying model he did, basically using an animated texture. The model would have all the poses of a simple walk cycle, or eat cycle or whatever, and only certain parts would be visible at a time to make it look like movement. Then using a trigger have it glide across in a direction while the animation is playing, possibly covering the ground a bit with foliage to hide where it may look fake. Something like that maybe?
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

ActRam could also have been used for the Trike, maybe..

And about the "too many raptors" .. I agree :P. It was pretty fun to mess around with all those raptors, but it wasn't natural (and since Raptors are packhunters, why aren't they then all "collected in one spot" instead of appearing one by one?)
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:well...there were a couple ideas I had. And my idea of seeing a herd, at least the major one I had, was being high on a cliff, seeing one off in the distance or something like that. Def not something that you would interact with, just a visual. The one idea I had was using a billboard and having some kind of animation. But the other way would be like how Machf did the carno and a flying model he did, basically using an animated texture. The model would have all the poses of a simple walk cycle, or eat cycle or whatever, and only certain parts would be visible at a time to make it look like movement. Then using a trigger have it glide across in a direction while the animation is playing, possibly covering the ground a bit with foliage to hide where it may look fake. Something like that maybe?
Ahhhhh. I think doing it at a distance, off a cliff etc, really is the way to go. And the animated poses shouldn't be too difficult, when they won't be seen up close... Then again, it might be fun to have to try outrunning a stampede. :| Oh I just got an idea for that..
Anna wrote:ActRam could also have been used for the Trike, maybe..
Well yeah, I'm pretty sure it was also thought of for that, at least.
And about the "too many raptors" .. I agree :P. It was pretty fun to mess around with all those raptors, but it wasn't natural (and since Raptors are packhunters, why aren't they then all "collected in one spot" instead of appearing one by one?)
Another good point, it would be fun to set up pack interactions in specific areas..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:
tatu wrote:Right, and may add some traps so the player got to think a little more?
Hmmm.. What exactly do you mean by "traps"? There will certainly be a few more in the Mayan zones..
Thats what I mean^^
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Just had a thought...maybe ascent/summit could/should have pteranodons???