Time of Day

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Re: Time of Day

Post by Slugger »

Where did this map originate from (and I'm not referring to the URL)? Do we know who the creator was?
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I wish we did...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

hppav wrote:For some reason he believes your short convo with him in the Ops forum somehow proves that IJ came before JU.
Simple fact: IJ1 & 2 (in any version of the game we're really familiar with) have absolutely no industrialness about them. IJ3 does have some construction bits around concerning the power pylons in the end stretch, though it's not *that* much.
Observation: The Anne voiceovers talk about a construction facility after the beach that is not the "real facility" (which could be miles away - the town). This includes a sign which says "No Trespassers," something to keep people out, something big she breaks which makes her say "Yeah, yeah, bill me," and no dinosaurs within it (at least up to a point), "just construction". It's also probably somewhere in here where the phone is, in a place where it actually makes sense. Add to this that the area, "JR", is ALREADY full of construction and monorail pieces. Then if you consider that "modern IJ" comes after PH and not JR, you see that the monorail was never meant to lead up to it, which explains why there is absolutely no construction in that area. It's been asked for years why IJ was called IJ - I think now it's pretty clear that the name was meant to apply to the monorail construction that would take up an entire level.

It's all speculation, anyway. I've decided to call JR IJ and IJ JU.
And Draco, you are too young in the Trespasser scene to remember the InGenNET Site B Explorer that labeled the Plantation House as Muldoon's House :P
:P
Slugger wrote:Draco, how are you deciding the weather for these levels? Seems completely arbitrary.
Read the rest of the thread, you'll see how it evolved. You weren't here when we did all the initial stuff. I even did a poll on some weather aspects. There was a general consensus on some things such as a night-time town, and some wanted it to be a starry night and that sounded great to me. I wanted to have good rain at some point; since IT would be clear sky and machf wanted the ascent up Mt. Watson to be in the scorching sun, I decided the rain should come in the first day, and so figured out what you see there. I also kept the placing of "In May, the rains came" voiceover from the retail in mind..

As a final note, some of this conversation is getting far too close for comfort. Tres Reloaded discussion should probably be continued at Tresgame to avoid this.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You know the "facility" means the labs or the dinosaur pens, right? Not the beach hotel, the town, or anything like that. The first part of that voiceover is "No dinosaurs in here".

And there's no reason to have swapped the level file names around, Drac... IJ was always IJ and JR was always JR/JU, most likely. You're letting your imagination run too wild... IJ did feature construction (in IJ3), but things in the level have been moved around and/or removed. There's the tool shed, the crane, the pylons...
And those other screenshots showing more monorail ruins are likely from the discarded PH level, as we haven't been able to find their locations elsewhere.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Agree with machf. It also confuses people, if the names are swapped around, especially if they haven't read this topic (or others, where you've mentioned it)
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.