Tres: Reloaded - IT

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Tres: Reloaded - IT

Post by Draconisaurus »

glitchhunter09 wrote:The trucks close to the end of IJ have hoods on them that work. That's about the only stage with working truck hoods. I know IJ is going to be non-existant but I just thought you might want to know that if you didn't already.(Most likely you did seeing as how you know the game pretty much inside and out.) You might be able to use those hoods as a reference if you need it.
Actually, I get my hoods out of TC Act 1, but yeah, I hadn't noticed specifically which level had them working. I assumed BE, JR(?), and/or IJ might have working truck hoods, which I would have found out when I went to look..
Don't forget the two Parasaurolophus wandering the town as well.
I was actually planning to forget them. It would seem a bit chaotic to have them running around in there, IMO - it doesn't even make sense that paras could get in over the concrete wall. However, there's a chance that one will be able to get inside from outside of the wall during gameplay..
I'm also curious, why did they remove the beta Green T-Rex skin?
They didn't "remove" it. The current male T-Rex is also green. It's just different from what was in early screenshots. One possibility is that the they needed to replace it because the original's skin was based too closely on the skin of the Rex model from TLW, which they didn't have the copyright for (it is in fact VERY close, I am sure photo reference was used). The other part is that it's obviously a little higher-poly - as we know, Trespasser was quite unstable on modern PCs of the day, and today even large numbers of the higher poly dinos can slow FPS down considerably. So I'm confident that the poly of ALL dinos was reduced to improve engine performance. Also, the original green rex is just too damn bright.. it makes sense to have it darker and less saturated, despite how much we like it because of the nostalgia effect.
Another question: Were there any beta weapons in Trespasser? I remember something in one of the prerelease screens on the site that slightly resembled a weapon from the final but it wasn't quite like it.
"Were there any beta weapons"? That doesn't sound quite phrased right, but I'll answer both possible meanings.
*Yes, there are some weapons known to have been made for Trespasser that were present in the Beta (or earlier) but not afterwards.
*Yes, there is a weapon in the retail Trespasser files which is said to be a "beta" weapon which is not ingame. It's called the Colt or something, and it's found in the JR basement, along with a primitive muzzle flash, probably the first weapon ever made for the game, and can be seen in at least one old screenshot (pre-alpha).
*As a note, there are at least four weapons (I can think of double-barrel shotgun, antique rifle, silenced uzi) in the Mystery Models that were intended for Trespasser but do not seem to have made it into the final cut. It's unknown if they were just never brought in, or removed a long while back. The double-barrel will be featured in JPDS.
*As another note, machf has discovered the presence of several sounds in Effects.tpa for guns that are not found either in the retail or in the Mystery Models (or old screenshots). See here.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Oh nice. I'm really surprised that there were that many unused sound effects in the game. I see what you mean about the green T-Rex.

The rex's animation in this video is too realisticly rendered to be an actual scene from the game. What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ejve3UUXQo
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Pretty sure none of that was ingame footage.

Here's what I would like to see in the town...an explanation for the raptors/ any other dinosaurs being there. Are the raptors entering the town for food? How are they getting in?

Also, any plans for a sewer system in the town? I think it would be a great place for it, I don't know if the plan for reloaded is to add any new aspects or not.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:Here's what I would like to see in the town...an explanation for the raptors/ any other dinosaurs being there. Are the raptors entering the town for food? How are they getting in?
Well, it's pretty obvious they can just jump in. The good question would be why.. In the original concept of the game, there may not have been so many raptors. Superior AI would have made a handful of raptors quite dangerous enough for the player - especially since guns were to be rareish. In that case, they could simply have lived nearby, sensed Anne's presence, and come over for a quick meal.
However, if you look at the voiceover analysis I posted in this thread, you'll see another likely reason.....
Also, any plans for a sewer system in the town?
That's a swell idea, but I'm afraid it would take more time than I want to put into this one level, with the custom houses we have already etc. And, I believe we'll eventually be seeing some other levels with sewers in them..
I think it would be a great place for it, I don't know if the plan for reloaded is to add any new aspects or not.
The plan is definitely to add new aspects.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

hmmm...maybe they could just jump over...but maybe in that lies a chance for some cool alterations. I would think ingen would have put up some kind of barb wire or something on the walls knowing what kinds of physical manuvuers the raptors were capable of. So I would think there should be something set up so that them "just jumping over" would seem very implausible. Possibly have something like a storm drain that the raptors get in through (wouldn't be an entire sewer, just maybe like a tunnel). This could then lead to an alternate escape to the town that could either be an alternate path, or something that leads to a dead end that ends up being a raptor nest...

oooo it would be cool to see the long grass/raptor nest in there somewhere, in similar fashion to the movie
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I dunno about barbed wire, despite it making sense. For things like that, I was planning to keep them pretty similar to how it seems the original game would have been. Anyway, I don't want to make too much work for us.. We have a whole game to recreate. For NEW things, I am thinking mainly, completely new things, rather than upgrading old things, though a few exceptions to that are being planned.... *coughopscough*
Second Illiteration wrote:oooo it would be cool to see the long grass/raptor nest in there somewhere, in similar fashion to the movie
*cough* Read the first post again..
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:Another question: Were there any beta weapons in Trespasser? I remember something in one of the prerelease screens on the site that slightly resembled a weapon from the final but it wasn't quite like it.
"Were there any beta weapons"? That doesn't sound quite phrased right, but I'll answer both possible meanings.
*Yes, there are some weapons known to have been made for Trespasser that were present in the Beta (or earlier) but not afterwards.
*Yes, there is a weapon in the retail Trespasser files which is said to be a "beta" weapon which is not ingame. It's called the Colt or something, and it's found in the JR basement, along with a primitive muzzle flash, probably the first weapon ever made for the game, and can be seen in at least one old screenshot (pre-alpha).
*As a note, there are at least four weapons (I can think of double-barrel shotgun, antique rifle, silenced uzi) in the Mystery Models that were intended for Trespasser but do not seem to have made it into the final cut. It's unknown if they were just never brought in, or removed a long while back. The double-barrel will be featured in JPDS.
*As another note, machf has discovered the presence of several sounds in Effects.tpa for guns that are not found either in the retail or in the Mystery Models (or old screenshots). See here.
I thought it was phrased well.

Yes, it's the Springfield M1911, NOT A COLT!!!! Here is the beta screenshot with it in it:
http://trescom.3dactionplanet.gamespy.c ... mage&id=65
There is also the Cattle Prod, I don't remember in what level's basement it is, but it has been restored in TC-Isle.

The fourth Mystery Model gun is the Smith & Wesson M76, it was in RexHunter99's "Pine Forest", one of the Month of Trespasser - 10th Anniv. Contest level entries.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

S&W M76? Among the Mystery models? Where?
If it really is that, there may be a sound or sounds corresponding to it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ahh machf, you didn't know? And erm, I didn't know it was in PF.. Anyway, I personally think the gun looks rather stupid and fragile. :yum:
Attachments
Smith & Wesson M76
Smith & Wesson M76
Rend_S&Wm76.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 17365 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Are you sure it's part of the Mystery Models and not something somebody else made? I don't recall seeing it among the MM renders... I'd need to look a the files again when I get back home...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

machf wrote:Are you sure it's part of the Mystery Models and not something somebody else made? I don't recall seeing it among the MM renders... I'd need to look a the files again when I get back home...
Yes, I'm sure.
In the Lost Models pack it's called "PS&Wm76.3DS".

@Draco
Are there any plans to bring back these alpha/beta weapons in Reloaded?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, I've seen it now. Still no renders of it from back then...
Anyway, maybe one or more unidentified sounds belong to it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Keep us posted, I bet one will turn up...

And well, yesh Nick, the plan was to return axed weapons to the game, though I was never too hot on this particular one because of its odd appearance, IMO, but if there is interest in it, I suppose it certainly ought to go in the game.. I've also considered reworking the weapon system for Reloaded to finally use the reload actiontype, but it might be difficult to achieve on this scale. We should probably just stick with making weapons less common.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:I personally think the gun looks rather stupid and fragile. :yum:
I agree, the S&W M76 is one of my least favorite weapons from the game. But you have to admit, the Joker looks bad ass with it.
http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2008/12/jo ... n-m76.html
Draconisaurus wrote:And well, yesh Nick, the plan was to return axed weapons to the game, though I was never too hot on this particular one because of its odd appearance, IMO, but if there is interest in it, I suppose it certainly ought to go in the game.. I've also considered reworking the weapon system for Reloaded to finally use the reload actiontype, but it might be difficult to achieve on this scale. We should probably just stick with making weapons less common.
Well yes, S&W M76 shouldn't be ignored because you don't like it.
I'm guessing that will also include the Lindstradt Rifles with the stock from TestSceneNight?
Which "axed weapons" will be included in IT Reloaded specifically?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nick3069 wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:I personally think the gun looks rather stupid and fragile. :yum:
I agree, the S&W M76 is one of my least favorite weapons from the game. But you have to admit, the Joker looks bad ass with it.
http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2008/12/jo ... n-m76.html
o_O That he does...
Well yes, S&W M76 shouldn't be ignored because you don't like it.
:lol:
I'm guessing that will also include the Lindstradt Rifles with the stock from TestSceneNight?
Presumably, I guess. We'll see - levels that are direct retail mods might behave abnormally if we try to replace their basement instances, with bumpmaps and all.. I'll definitely try, though. I'd also hoped some time to try and make the shoulder rest make a bit more sense, in the magnet positioning of the gun.. I'll see how that goes.
TBH, we might want a vote on the shoulder pieces.. they might seem kind of ugly to some people, and I don't think they're in the movie.
Which "axed weapons" will be included in IT Reloaded specifically?
IT? No idea. Weapon placement will be one of the last steps. The retail levels, of course, have all weapons in all levels, more or less, so.. I really don't know. Like I said, there are to be fewer ingame weapons overall in Reloaded. None of this two AKs in the Ops Center and one more in a random building crap..