Tres: Reloaded - SUM

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Tres: Reloaded - SUM

Post by Draconisaurus »

TBH, most of your description sounds a lot like a simple gameplay reworking of the current Summit as it stands.. :? But some ideas are probably valid. Either way, SI needs to comment on it since he's the project leader for this level.
RexHunter99 wrote:
It also serves as a landing platform for helicopters, of course. It's difficult to figure out the difference in use between the one with the Ops Center and the one at the Summit, except that the Ops Center one is obviously surrounded somewhat by jungle and the Summit would be safer in most cases, I'd think...
Urm this makes no sense to me since up higher the wind is very different, in fact it becomes incredibly strong, even strong enough to blow a Helicoptor about (if not knock it out of the whole damned sky)
:yum: I really have no idea how the dangers of high-altitude wind compare to that of dense foliage.
I agree that the Summit just didn't seem right at all, also I've been thinking about how the raptors could be better applied to the level, many seem unrealistic but are a part of Tres gameplay...
The main point is that there are too many of them (as with most of Trespasser) and that there's no ecosystem to support them etc. There will still be raptors, we're just working out ways to have fewer of them pose a threat. As you suggest, part of this will be passing by the same raptors more than once, being low on ammo.. And it's a great point that we should emphasize (as I believe the devs originally wanted) the use of weapons to scare off dinos with single shots.
Here the boss MUST prioritize Anne as a target, it also needs to pose enough of a threat that the player doesn't try to escape through the gate without at least attempting to bring the abnormally large creature down first.
Well yeah. The original game does this by requiring a crate puzzle which you can't easily do without subduing the raptors. I'm sure we'll have something similar to make the boss fight meaningful and mandatory for survival.
The ammunitions storage should now also be unlocked, allowing the player access to weapons that can aid them in their battle.
Unlocked out of nowhere? :yum: Yeah yeah key, whatever, I'm just seeing "more weapons" in your idea too much. There should be at most two guns up here, IMO. The rest is strategy and puzzles.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

The summit is supposed to be a secure station right? And since the raptors already claimed the mountain as their territory (or were forced up there by the stronger tribes) they'd need a storage, hell, 2 guns wouldn't be too much, a rifle, shottie and handgun would be more than enough to be realistically fair on the game, since after all we want to kill the Alpha and scare the smaller ones, of course we can use strategy and kill the other raptors with falling objects, collapsing walls and stuff.

EDIT: Since Draco is blind I'll just mention here that there should be cables running about around the Summit, and not those pathetic inch-thick cables either, they'll have thick protective casing (that's easy to dismantle for repairs) and will run from turbines to some sort of main circuit,
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yes yes.

Alright I've just been thinking about how the dusk environment should look... I dug up these images and came up with some ideas along the way:

http://www.zullophoto.com/Images/G_02792.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/260 ... 7b8cbc.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DU4pEsCdz0M/S ... /Dusk4.jpg
http://warbly.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... t-dusk.jpg
http://opensourceerpguru.com/images/dusk.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/eileennauman/SFU9C ... n%20wy.jpg
http://iphone.wen.ru/wallpaper/pics/dusk.jpg

So I started thinking it might be fun to have some lightning going on nearby, not necessarily hitting the mountain, but still very visible and ominous... Inspired by the lightning image. Also this dusk should be darker than the original SUM dusk, IMO. Aaaand then Rex pointed me to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG8I40Z9iEE

Pretty cool environment goin on there. :| I think it would be great to have extreme winds and dust blown around while going around the Summit trying to figure out puzzles. Gives a greater sense of struggle.. enhanced even more by the lightning. Hell, maybe the helicopter comes in, but has to wait for the storm to pass, just as Anne is waiting to be picked up.. and THAT'S when the boss fight begins. The extreme environment sounds can be muffled when inside buildings, giving a stark contrast in sound.. Also. Thanks to machf, we know the voiceover commands for Anne's end of the radio conversation. Some of us could rerecord the Navy guys' lines, and change them up a bit.. Perhaps Anne is directed to bring a walkie-talky with her to stay in touch, and that's how they tell her to wait while she's on the pad. Also the fact of using the individual lines of conversation could be worked in technically by having to flip a switch on the radio each time she wants to talk. 8)
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Nick3069 wrote:I like the Tribe C color and I don't see any problem with it.
Here is a lizard that has almost he same coloration
Yes, but as Draco also said, it's a good camuflage for its surroundings. But SUM is not dirt-colored :p.
Nick3069 wrote:
It seems likely that the function of stripes is camouflage, serving to help tigers conceal themselves amongst the dappled shadows and long grass of their environment as they stalk their prey. The stripe pattern is found on a tiger's skin and if shaved, its distinctive camouflage pattern would be preserved.
OK, maybe it is for camouflage, but it's the pattern that's the key here, not the color.
But the tigers has grass to stalk in, as you quoted. In SUM, there aren't many (if any) plants or any grass to hide in. But yes, if there was grass, then the colors would be good.
Draconisaurus wrote: I never did see the tribes fighting each other in the town..
Well, I saw alot of fighting, FYI :P.
Draconisaurus wrote:Alright I've just been thinking about how the dusk environment should look... I dug up these images and came up with some ideas along the way
Woah! It would be really cool, if the light will be like that :|. I like it!
So I started thinking it might be fun to have some lightning going on nearby, not necessarily hitting the mountain, but still very visible and ominous... Inspired by the lightning image. Also this dusk should be darker than the original SUM dusk, IMO.
Lightning! That would be great! Also gives you a feeling of "The Final Battle"-something :yum:. It would be pretty cool, if it could hit a tree, which falls down very close to the player, maybe blocking the way or

The rest sounds great!
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yay!
Anna wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote: I never did see the tribes fighting each other in the town..
Well, I saw alot of fighting, FYI :P.
O rly? Cool...
Draconisaurus wrote:Alright I've just been thinking about how the dusk environment should look... I dug up these images and came up with some ideas along the way
Woah! It would be really cool, if the light will be like that :|. I like it!
:3
So I started thinking it might be fun to have some lightning going on nearby, not necessarily hitting the mountain, but still very visible and ominous... Inspired by the lightning image. Also this dusk should be darker than the original SUM dusk, IMO.
Lightning! That would be great! Also gives you a feeling of "The Final Battle"-something :yum:. It would be pretty cool, if it could hit a tree, which falls down very close to the player, maybe blocking the way or

The rest sounds great!
:D Wow actually, lightning hitting a tree sounds pretty awesome... One of the few trees up there. I can see it now.. Maybe even some sparks on an animated always-face plane. :|
The Rescue Team
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by The Rescue Team »

Draconisaurus wrote:Have just discovered an interesting tid-bit..! The sky object in TestScnNght is called "Sky_SU-00", meaning that it was intended for..... The Summit! :o So apparently at some point, they thought they might do the final level of the game at night. This fascinates me.... (I do remember discovering this a couple years ago as well, but forgot)
That would be awesome if it was at night.
The Rescue Team
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by The Rescue Team »

Draconisaurus wrote:
..I've mostly wondered about the colors of the raptors. Yellow is probably not the best camuflage-color...
Ehhhh... You have a good point. I was just going to use SI's Tribe C skin for the Isle raptor -
ImageImage

Already using SI's Tribe B Isle skin for Tribe B. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for what to use as the.... wait :|

This skin was made by SI for the new JPDS Raptor Valley rock raptors... However, after finding out that the area, when in the midst of the full JPDS1 environment, was at an unplayable FPS from having the higher-poly raptors, I got him to do a rock skin for the Tres raptor mesh. Meaning this skin currently has no purpose... Hmm. It might look a little odd in the pine zones, but... What do you think? Other ideas?
I suggest that you use the isle raptor skin troughout the entire game and adjust the health and damage of them as you go along, that would be more realistic and cooler to me and it would be keeping the theme of the lost world. if you dont want to do that you should just use brand new really sick skins like the ones above, also for a last boss i think you should either 1. adjust the health of the alpha raptor way up,2. make two alpha raptors possibly three,3. make it a young t-rex, not a baby but a juvenile so there would be some realism in killing it, also this idea would heavily go along with the lost world because as you know there was a baby t-rex in the movie and it would be slightly more grown up after a couple of years which matches it being a juvenile rex and you get to kill an animal seen in the movie so i thought this would be cool. i figured also you should at some point get to kill a rex with a poison rifle that would be really cool. and for weapons i think it should be mainly weapons seen in the movie like the hunter rifle, spaz 12 because they were on nublar so they would probably be somewhere on sorna, poison rifle cuz eddie had it in the movie, and im sorry this reply was so long but i had a lot of ideas and still have ideas.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, if we can manage the isle raptor mesh in framerate etc, we certainly will. We'll have to keep the number of dinos down, and probably also not make levels too big.
We're still deciding on the boss confrontations - SI is going to be in charge of SUM. And the raptor in question is mentioned in voiceovers, being a special occurance, so there should only be one, IMO.
You get to kill a rex with a toxin rifle in Ascent1 retail, actually. As for a jouve rex, that would be a great idea, since we've even heard that the devs intended for it.
As for weapons - I agree there should be fewer probably, but not at all limited to what's in the movie. Movies don't generally translate directly into games very well, I'm afraid.
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

I think it's a bad idea to keep the same skin through the entire game, since it could get quite boring to look at. Also, the raptors should change the look of their skin, to fit in the envirioment.
Two or three bosses sounds like a bad idea, IMO. But giving it more health sounds alright >:]. Oh, and the juvenille T-rex sounds good, too! Though, it shouldn't look too cute and young, since I probably won't kill it, then :sick:. Wouldn't be fair for the T-rex, either.
And about the weapons.. I don't care. As long as I can shoot with SOMETHING, I'm happy :P
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

Sounding pretty kick-ass. I think there definitely should be at least some foliage. I live in Maine, and every mountain I go to is lousy with trees and plants...
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I've just been thinking that the Summit raptors could be ANY color...because the food source they are after up there would be small birds, lizards, rodents, insects, that kind of thing. Not much need to be super camoflauged to sneak up on them.

Also the summit raptors should be more vicious, more fearless, because of the environment and they just have to be tougher to survive up there.

Also thinking maybe the Boss raptor feeds on the smaller raptors.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm, yeah, brutal.. Seems like sound logic to me. Still, I think somewhat camouflaged raptors in the rocky regions might be fun. Or hell, maybe you can pick out a random one of your other skins that just looks cool..

Just as a note for Reloaded, now that it's going to be more of a from-scratch project (probably using some assets from retail like buildings, but new terrain sculpting and foliage & textures etc.), I'm seriously considering dumping the extra levels, to keep the project size down. :? That would mean no swamp lands I'm afraid, and perhaps even no train station (mainly because there is enough described in the voiceovers (when adding in the new ones) as it is, without putting so much more in, and there isn't quite as much community support for this project atm as would be required to complete one so large as what I was envisioning as a direct mod of the levels.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

well once we get the terrain and foliage and look of the atmosphere for the level, then I think figuring out a skin should be easy.

As for the dumping of the other levels...they could always be done AFTER an overhaul of the orginal levels and just added on as each one is finished.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm yes I suppose so. Sort of like a, "if we have time," "whenever we get around to it" deal, also helps to not distract from the important levels...
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmm yes I suppose so. Sort of like a, "if we have time," "whenever we get around to it" deal, also helps to not distract from the important levels...
My thoughts exactly