Tres: Reloaded - SUM

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Tres: Reloaded - SUM

Post by Draconisaurus »

This thread is for discussion and progress reports on Summit Reloaded.
The initial raptor encounter at the start of the retail Summit is unforgettable, especially from when you first play the game.. easily one of the hardest encounters I've had in any Trespasser level, before I realized I could outrun everything (and before I installed the Small Patch). We're definitely keeping it - and maybe trying to make it a little harder, even.. seeing if we can restrict movement even more, so the player can't just run away so easily. Maybe some crates and crap lying around, making it more of a maze.. Anyway, the wind turbines here are very much moving. But, the fuses blew long ago. The security lock on the door to the radio building appears to need a keycard.. and Anne can't find one anywhere, this time, and there is NO dumpster to climb. She climbs up a set of stairs, towards the landing above. She fends off a few raptors, though not too many. ...

Actually, you know what? Frak this, I'm not going to spoil the level. :P It's gonna be damn fun, with the ideas I have, and I can probably do it mostly myself, so everyone can be surprised... 8)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Tres: Reloaded - SUM

Post by Draconisaurus »

Have just discovered an interesting tid-bit..! The sky object in TestScnNght is called "Sky_SU-00", meaning that it was intended for..... The Summit! :o So apparently at some point, they thought they might do the final level of the game at night. This fascinates me.... (I do remember discovering this a couple years ago as well, but forgot)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

One thing I would like to see on the summit is some vegetation...and maybe make it more nestlike, to explain the raptors...there has to be some explanation for how the raptors got there...an alternate route maybe, some kind of cave system? Could use this concept to go with one of the alternate route plans
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm. I read your old pleas (and failed modding attempts) for putting foliage on the Summit in an ancient thread I dug out last week. While that would look awesome, I believe Mt. Watson is in fact meant to be devoid of vegetation, for our purposes.. If you wish to gather up some evidence for the sort of environment you want in this type of location, please do.
As for how the raptors survived.. We already know they lived on birds and tiny lizards. I'd also like to try making an actually leaner raptor model for Tribe C, to go with the voiceover.. Hmm and, how did the birds and tiny lizards survive? Idk. :yum: Maybe I can introduce some moss textures. I should also note that there are just way too many raptors in the Summit, up on the ridge with no good reason.. As my description in the first post here suggests, I have some elaborate plans for Summit involving the puzzles used and dropped in the retail release. The major threats of the level should include environmental ones, where the raptors just make it more stressful.. I think there will be just a few specific spots where raptors pose a threat - and some back-and-forth traveling that will make their presence more logical. It's a fun point, though - maybe they DO have a nest in the crater itself...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmm and, how did the birds and tiny lizards survive?
insects? xD

you should have some more rocks!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Lol, MORE rocks? Well I'm still waiting on SI's evidense.. ;)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

These are just a few images I pulled out of a google image search:
http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpr ... summit.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/4248 ... 683d43.jpg
http://www.outventures.org/photos/old/2 ... t(WEB).jpg
http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard ... nUpper.JPG

As you can see, still rather desolate, but there is still vegetation. Trees are still evident and there definitely a fair amount of smaller shrubbery and growth. That's basically what I was talking about.

Also, I think something should be done to make the final boss fight area more realistic and believable. How did the raptors get there? What exactly were all those structure for, etc. I think seeing the summit more like the town might be interesting. Rather than having to climb up to that weird area where the boss raptor/ alpha raptor it, make the lower area larger...just a thought. I think it would not only be more visually appealing, but also make more sense as far as animal locations and how something like that might actually be set up.

Another thought, maybe you have to climb up that way to get something to bring back down to finish a puzzle and get off the island. Like maybe there was a part or the code to use on the radio, but someone took it up the summit to the very top where they were killed before rescue could arrive. You have to retrieve it to make your call.
Anna
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Anna »

Draconisaurus wrote:The initial raptor encounter at the start of the retail Summit is unforgettable, especially from when you first play the game.. easily one of the hardest encounters I've had in any Trespasser level, before I realized I could outrun everything
I didn't outrun them, I pushed them down the "ledge" :P. Quite fun, but I died pretty often xP. But yes, it's indeed unforgettable! Jeeez..
tatu wrote:
insects? xD
How did the insects then survive? :sick:.

..I've mostly wondered about the colors of the raptors. Yellow is probably not the best camuflage-color...
Yes, my avatar is indeed a dino cookie.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:As you can see, still rather desolate, but there is still vegetation. Trees are still evident and there definitely a fair amount of smaller shrubbery and growth. That's basically what I was talking about.
I see... Thanks those are some great reference. And I believe you're right.. the Summit ought to be adjusted accordingly, but if we do, we have to rework how ALL of Mt. Watson looks, which will impact Ascent.
Also, I think something should be done to make the final boss fight area more realistic and believable. How did the raptors get there? What exactly were all those structure for, etc. I think seeing the summit more like the town might be interesting. Rather than having to climb up to that weird area where the boss raptor/ alpha raptor it, make the lower area larger...just a thought. I think it would not only be more visually appealing, but also make more sense as far as animal locations and how something like that might actually be set up.
You know, this is an amazingly good point that I hadn't really taken so far in my own imaginings, and it would go right along with the daring redesign of the game I'm aiming for. We should put some good thought into this - I'd be happy to have you assist in the actual level design if you have any particular ideas (and so I can give more work to other members, since I AM trying to stay busy on JPDS). It will need to go somewhat hand-in-hand with the redesign of the final climb up the mountain. No rush of course.. (and yeah I'll import the models for you and make sure they work lol)
Another thought, maybe you have to climb up that way to get something to bring back down to finish a puzzle and get off the island. Like maybe there was a part or the code to use on the radio, but someone took it up the summit to the very top where they were killed before rescue could arrive. You have to retrieve it to make your call.
STOP READING MY MIND!!!!! XD Well that's not quite it, but I've had a similar plan in mind that is based on what I think was part of the original concept for the level's gameplay.. We can discuss it later, but yes it's a good idea to involve a more complex puzzle than climbing down through the window.
Anna wrote:I didn't outrun them, I pushed them down the "ledge" :P. Quite fun, but I died pretty often xP. But yes, it's indeed unforgettable! Jeeez..
Cheater. :P I never thought of that back then, for some reason.. Guess I didn't know enough about dino physics.
tatu wrote:
insects? xD
How did the insects then survive? :sick:.
:P The moss and crap on the mountain that we'll be putting there.
..I've mostly wondered about the colors of the raptors. Yellow is probably not the best camuflage-color...
Ehhhh... You have a good point. I was just going to use SI's Tribe C skin for the Isle raptor -
ImageImage

Already using SI's Tribe B Isle skin for Tribe B. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for what to use as the.... wait :|

This skin was made by SI for the new JPDS Raptor Valley rock raptors... However, after finding out that the area, when in the midst of the full JPDS1 environment, was at an unplayable FPS from having the higher-poly raptors, I got him to do a rock skin for the Tres raptor mesh. Meaning this skin currently has no purpose... Hmm. It might look a little odd in the pine zones, but... What do you think? Other ideas?
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

I'll see what I can do in the upcoming months as far as ideas and stuff for summit. And for the initial treck up the mountain, I think there should be more vegetation there as well.

Now for they rock raptor...hmmm...maybe just the ones on the summit are that color. I could always try to do a combination of the rock and Tribe C skins, that way they camo more, but aren't too different from the others.

Back to the summit: I'll just make a level copy and play around with different things and keep you posted with screen shots and such. Obviously it will just be to show ideas and not anything final
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Good idea. Though - best not to use Tribe C from Tres as a base, as Anna points out it just doesn't fit the environment well. Yellow with black stripes might fit plains, if anything, but certainly not pine forests and mountains. I think it would be best to try getting a scaly-looking skin that has rock-like colors. And I do NOT think we should have 4 variations, other than the boss..
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Anna wrote:..I've mostly wondered about the colors of the raptors. Yellow is probably not the best camuflage-color...
I like the Tribe C color and I don't see any problem with it.
Here is a lizard that has almost he same coloration:
Also it reminds me of the concept picture on Stan Winston's web site:

It's not really about camouflage, orange with black stripes doesn't blend well in a jungle.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm.. That yellow/orange happens to blend well with the dirt you see there. Meh, I'll wait for Anna to comment on this one.. I would think someone has proposed a probable cause for tiger stripe evolution by now.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:I would think someone has proposed a probable cause for tiger stripe evolution by now.
*opens the wikipedia tiger article*
It seems likely that the function of stripes is camouflage, serving to help tigers conceal themselves amongst the dappled shadows and long grass of their environment as they stalk their prey. The stripe pattern is found on a tiger's skin and if shaved, its distinctive camouflage pattern would be preserved.
OK, maybe it is for camouflage, but it's the pattern that's the key here, not the color.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

I think we should keep tribe C and tribe A and possibly consider removing tribe B and replacing that with a better skin. And also, if we are still have a BOSS raptor type deal, maybe have an alpha pair????