Tres: Reloaded - PL

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Tres: Reloaded - PL

Post by TheIdiot »

FINALLY! Now hopefully we can avoid a repeat of the dreaded Pine Valley curse. I've actually done a bit of work on a Plains level based on the object heights combined with the plains area in IT, but it's part of the full island map I was working on. I can send it to you if you want to check it out.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks, and thank you but I'd be more interested in simply seeing screenshots from it. Can't wait until I reach the stage of adding dinosaurs and puzzles. To boldy mod where no Trespasser has trespassed before...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oooookay, this took a couple weeks of on-and-off attention but it's finally finished... PL release A: all Max-scene objects + base terrain, all known textures, substitute textures, and of course the sky and player. A philosophy of minimum modification has been applied to this release. Basically the idea is to have a playable version of the Max scene by creating a terrain file with elevations and details based on object locations. Knock yourself out:

https://app.box.com/s/nhuf6ducrbyl3o4f423hs1zmgnwovoqe
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Some notes - due to the nature of exporting from Max and creating instanced versions of parent instances, there will be several visual oddities in TresEd, but it seems Trespasser will generate an instanced "clone" of that which is supposed to be the parent, even though the -## models are their own parent instances as seen in TresEd. Short version - TresEd it looks a tad odd, works perfectly ingame.

Next hurtle is going to be linking the level to Tatu's town-only version of IT and to PV, and making all manner of ingame additions from dinosaurs to puzzles.. In the meantime, enjoy the first playable version of PL.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You should have contacted me... I would have sent you my MAX files with terrain corresponding to the Plains area to work from there. I'll let you know after I look at what you've done...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Nice, looking forward to take a look at this :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

From all I could tell, the terrain for the Max scene must have paid little-to-no attention to whatever the other levels had going on, assuming they were somehow similar to what the later builds have. This version of PL is thus strictly a recreation of what the Max scene might have been like. In my next iteration I plan to merge it with IT terrain and objects, as well as various additions based on the walkthrough.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Some notes - due to the nature of exporting from Max and creating instanced versions of parent instances, there will be several visual oddities in TresEd, but it seems Trespasser will generate an instanced "clone" of that which is supposed to be the parent, even though the -## models are their own parent instances as seen in TresEd. Short version - TresEd it looks a tad odd, works perfectly ingame.
This is actually an "issue" with the .TPM exporter and not specifically 3ds Max. The .TPM Exporter reads all objects as its own mesh. The good thing about this tho is that by exporting all as their own mesh, this keeps their original scale.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Why did you raise everything by 50m?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu

Post by tatu »

He used an old version where I imported the stuff years ago, so that was probably me at some point.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh, well. I'll keep working on a version of my own, then...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The frak? Was not aware of this 50 meter raise... Tatu, is there a way you could fix this using Max and the various terrain scripts we have?
tatu

Post by tatu »

I took a look at the terrain. You said to me you used my Town terrain as a base. That is the reason why it is that height. I think that when you flatter it out it became higher. I also guess machf means that the objects are 50 higher than in the Max file?

Until you start adding the Town terrain, I will not really have any point of reference on how much to change it. Even if I lower it by 50, the Town objects will probably float or be underground anyway. If you add some parts of the Town terrain I can lower it to fit the objects based in those areas.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Various interesting points around.. The IT Max scene terrain height *might* be a reason to keep the PL terrain (an objs) at the height they have in my release. Stay tuned..
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Not really. The simplest fix would be to select everything in TresEd and lower it by 50m. Haven't checked if $objects would have been moved twice, though... so reimporting everything from the MAX file may be simpler.

EDIT: checked, $objects are in their proper positions, so no worries there. I can send you the files with everything lowered back 50m.

If you want level files with the PL objects imported at their original heights and based on the IT files (with the stuff from IT still there), just let me know...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, my objective at this point is to lower everything by 50m, then hopefully Tatu can send me a version of the terrain (using maxscripts etc.) which is also 50m lower, to match the objs. This is sort of a minimum objective for creating a basic, unmodified version of PL. After that point, various mods might take place in further modding of PL.