TresCom Community Project 1 - Trespasser: Reloaded

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: TresCom Community Project - Trespasser: Reloaded

Post by Draconisaurus »

Here it is, a mini level with a bit of furnishings and such to improve your living space:

http://www.box.net/shared/i9pz8udyyq

The script for the breakable tables is a little finicky and is designed to work with guns. If you get too frustrated with it, just set them all to Frozen = true and delete the magnets.. Oh and no the drawers do not slide - I determined after much testing that it just won't work. They're currently frozen; you can have them in permanent sticking-out positions or make a trigger to unfreeze certain drawers and have them lying on the floor etc. Oh and the comfy couches here have an improved texture over the last one. For those not in the know, the bed is from the Mystery Models. For the gun cabinet, I have some script available for affixing guns that only come loose when grabbed, let me know if you need to see it.

How this will work is, you can just use the object in your home and when I get the level files, I'll redefine the instance number listed in the TPM I export and have my own basement copy that's instanced to anyone who used the object.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: machf, no word yet on your home? I'm going to guess now that you're thinking "I'm not going to answer that, you really think I have time to make a house in your level?" Anyway I hope you'll do something for it. :yum: If not then I'll just reserve a small bungalow for you, using the materials I originally collected for your JPDS-EA office.
Oh, but I *will* answer.
No time to make it now, though I have the plans and want to do it, just don't expect if for any given date. I also got the plans from my uncle's former house (he moved some months ago, as he sold the house to be demolished and replaced by a building), which had a design I always liked and want to do that one for Trespasser, too...

This afternoon I got some more work done on the Pens level, finally added a door and wall I kept postponing (I can always replace the mesh later if I change my mind again), and a couple other things.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Holy crap... so you use 3DS for import? Or do we have a TPM export script for 'MeshLab'...
No, 3DS is crap. I exported the model from MeshLab using OBJ and imported them to gmax using a maxscript. Then I exported to .tpm from gmax.
Draconisaurus wrote:Oh and no the drawers do not slide - I determined after much testing that it just won't work.
But the one in JPDS testing works...
TheRaptorKiller
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by TheRaptorKiller »

@Draco...Would it be alright if I create a vehicle to be put in my garage or something like that?
Trespasser Movie Project - Private
"HALO ROCKS AND JUST WONT STOPS!" Trent Ferdig after watching new halo:reach trailer. In God we Trust
Egghead
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Egghead »

Would it be okay if I picked a piece of property outside the fence? Sort of a secret house with a couple weapons and stuff?
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Egghead wrote:Would it be okay if I picked a piece of property outside the fence? Sort of a secret house with a couple weapons and stuff?
it's suicide man... even if it is visible from my watchtower... :P why would you want to?
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

maybe mine is going to be a bunker....
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:Oh, but I *will* answer.
No time to make it now, though I have the plans and want to do it, just don't expect if for any given date. I also got the plans from my uncle's former house (he moved some months ago, as he sold the house to be demolished and replaced by a building), which had a design I always liked and want to do that one for Trespasser, too...
Aha, well that sounds cool to me. Nem also does not have time at present to work on a house but would like to get around to it eventually..
This afternoon I got some more work done on the Pens level, finally added a door and wall I kept postponing (I can always replace the mesh later if I change my mind again), and a couple other things.
Good, good..
Nick3069 wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Holy crap... so you use 3DS for import? Or do we have a TPM export script for 'MeshLab'...
No, 3DS is crap. I exported the model from MeshLab using OBJ and imported them to gmax using a maxscript. Then I exported to .tpm from gmax.
Oh... I thought you said OBJ didn't retain adequate texture data?
Draconisaurus wrote:Oh and no the drawers do not slide - I determined after much testing that it just won't work.
But the one in JPDS testing works...
Actually, they don't. Go try it a few different times - you'll get a different result in each trial. It's entirely inconsistent.. one time I had the 4-stack drawer working great, then I restarted the engine and tried the exact same level again, and the drawer shot straight up through the other drawers. The Tres mag system is a real mess for anything but ZFree, I think they must have spent all their time fixing that one..

EDIT: Oh and surely you remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6X8ORcwt-0

@TRK
Go right ahead!! Just keep all the regular things about a Tres level in mind. Ah crap I didn't release those palettes..
Shadow Wolf wrote:
Egghead wrote:Would it be okay if I picked a piece of property outside the fence? Sort of a secret house with a couple weapons and stuff?
it's suicide man... even if it is visible from my watchtower... :P why would you want to?
Hahaha. It's not much of a secret anymore, is it? :P Though I guess people would still have to look for it. Anyway, if you could PM me with your desired location, I'll give you the go-ahead (or not) to put it there, or suggest where else it might go..

@SI
Heh, that would be neat - you'll need at least a little terrain editing for that, I think, so be sure and clear that part with me when you get around to it.
TheRaptorKiller
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by TheRaptorKiller »

Draconisaurus wrote:@TRK
Go right ahead!! Just keep all the regular things about a Tres level in mind. Ah crap I didn't release those palettes..
Cool cant wait to get started......... :D
IF ANYONE needs someone to model a house I'll be more than happy to help :)
Trespasser Movie Project - Private
"HALO ROCKS AND JUST WONT STOPS!" Trent Ferdig after watching new halo:reach trailer. In God we Trust
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Btw everyone, here are the palettes I have been delaying releasing for so long (hopefully Matt can eventually release this on his site for a more central location):
http://www.box.net/shared/17ht0jjb3l

To view a palette, load it in Wally (or another app if you've got one) from Trespasser CE. You may need to have an 8-bit palette BMP open, I'm not sure.. and so far I have been unable to figure out how to apply a palette to a 24-bit BMP using Wally. What I do is render the image as an 8-bit in Max of the appropriate size, then bring up the image in Wally and load the actual desired palette.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

I hope the reason why there hasn't been any post in a week is because everybody hard at work working on their part of the project. :P

Here is a little update on my progress:
This is my kitchen. It's very incomplete, the cupboards that don't have doors are complete. I would have taken a photo, but it wouldn't have been easy to get everything. I hope you can all guess where the refrigerator, washing machine, the microwave and convection ovens and the window goes. :P

Image Image
This is my bathtub. (3D model on the left and photo on the right. :P ) I'm very satisfied with the result, but I'm not sure if I should add more detail. Maybe I could add the soap holders, the overflow drain and the pillow holder. Some of you might notice I've used the same texture as Wu's Bathtub for the interior of the tub. :wink:

I'd like to get updates from the other participating members. I know some of you might want to keep their house secret, you can probably reveal a little something without ruining the surprise.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:| Great progress report, Nick. <3 everything I see... it may just be the coolest addition to the town, you seem to be going quite all-out with it. 8) And the tub looks good as-is, btw, don't wanna get too detail-happy with all that's in the town..

I personally have not have even the remotest sample of time to work on things from my end in the past week. I've got some things to report that will probably be in the next dev journal, when I get around to that.. Anyone else been working on their homes, or just staring politely at their chosen plot? I know Matt has at least started the base form of his house.. and we all know Sam is cooking up something special - though it is around Finals time for everyone, that might be cause for some delay.

I'm also interested to know if anyone has made use of the Furniture level or the Trespasser Palettes..? I only got one email report on the palettes having been downloaded.. They are incredibly useful if you know how to use them.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote: :| Great progress report, Nick. <3 everything I see... it may just be the coolest addition to the town, you seem to be going quite all-out with it. 8)
Thanks! :mrgreen:
Draconisaurus wrote:And the tub looks good as-is, btw, don't wanna get too detail-happy with all that's in the town..
Okay, that's what I figured.
Draconisaurus wrote:I'm also interested to know if anyone has made use of the Furniture level or the Trespasser Palettes..? I only got one email report on the palettes having been downloaded.. They are incredibly useful if you know how to use them.
The palettes are in .PAL format, right? Fireworks only reads .gif and .act palettes, and was too lazy to convert them.
BTW, I will definitely be using furniture from the furniture level.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nick3069 wrote:The palettes are in .PAL format, right? Fireworks only reads .gif and .act palettes, and was too lazy to convert them.
Haha. :P Well Wally is a part of Tres CE, remember.. the only thing I use it for is loading and saving palettes, no harm in doing the same yourself, I think.
BTW, I will definitely be using furniture from the furniture level.
Awesome. Again, be careful with those breakable wooden tables.. the instance number order seems to have a lot to do with it. It may help to remove "bool Instance = true" from all the magnets and simply give everything its own magnet.
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

I like those models in sketchup, is quite easy to use for designing buildings i've found.

I have worked my building pretty much finished construction. Just need to clean and optimise it after import into max, texture and add collision volumes.
So far comes in at around 3066 polys, a lot is excess and some that aren't part of the building anyway.

Are you willing to edit the terrain a bit, or will it cause the terrain issues?
Just got something to do with its design.