TresCom Community Project 1 - Trespasser: Reloaded

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

makairu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Re: TresCom Community Project 1 - Trespasser: Reloaded

Post by makairu »

Hmm... tomb raider reboot? that sounds exciting, as does a trespasser mod for it since the reboot seems to have elements of tres, but I think maybe we should stay on this reloaded idea. I dunno why but I have a feeling the tr reboot may not be as expected.
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Draconisaurus wrote:
Sorry if I'm coming of a bit doomy :D it's just that I don't really see it working, simply because that's the concept for the next TR game, and not the concept for the engine design.
Eh? What's the difference? A concept for a game follows that the concept of the engine will need to support it. Of course, we don't know how successful they will be, yet, nor how long from now it will be..
Trespasser engine did not meet up to what was planned, and a lot of other things.

But as this new TR is likely to be released on the PC, and in the current age of modders it is very likely to be modifiable, but I doubt it wont be anything to allow significant changes, but they mgith, depends what engine they go with. Only two problems I see would be the AI and importing new models and animations. AI is most likely to be the toughest. Unless there is dinosaur like creatures.

I think its too early to jump onto the game/engine just yet.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well. Obviously we can't make actual plans until we see how successful they are with their realization of the concept. And yes I was kinda hinging some of my ideas on the fact that some dino-like creatures would abound at someplace in the level.. Seems likely enough, but who knows.

Another main reason for choosing this was just because it is what I wanted Tres Reloaded to be, originally, and there ARE a lot of projects going on with me, right now, even though I'm trying to only work on one or two at once. Anyway - there has been a new discovery just made, which you should all find out soon, that has encouraged me to pick up the idea of Reloaded for the Tres engine again...
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Could someone please try to dig up this level? If anyone still have it, "4=Town_vX0-6_release1". Would appreciate that.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Well. Obviously we can't make actual plans until we see how successful they are with their realization of the concept. And yes I was kinda hinging some of my ideas on the fact that some dino-like creatures would abound at someplace in the level.. Seems likely enough, but who knows.

Another main reason for choosing this was just because it is what I wanted Tres Reloaded to be, originally, and there ARE a lot of projects going on with me, right now, even though I'm trying to only work on one or two at once. Anyway - there has been a new discovery just made, which you should all find out soon, that has encouraged me to pick up the idea of Reloaded for the Tres engine again...
You find the lost green T-Rex skin? Probably not... lol. Too bad, I really wanna see an accurate version if it. Asjad's comes close but doesn't seem quite right. If you can't find it, would be really cool if a hi-res texture like the one in this image from dreamworks was used:
http://www.trescom.org/gallery/fullsize/trex-ed.jpg
I'm quite honestly amazed that the developers even could get a good framerate out of the game in the early days of Tres's development..... then again, they may not have. Also, I'm kinda messing with the beta levels as well.... Though, just for fun and I'm mainly adding custom dinosaurs to them and Anne's final model as it's more complete and detailed graphically. (Anne's beta model sinks in the little pond at the beginning of Pine Valley. I switched her final model in and it floats.)
Anne's beta model's a little bit....er..... odd looking.... as in it kind of lacks detail in places. If you'll notice, her final model's skin has all sorts of shading and stuff while her beta model's kind of bland and not very colorful. The pattern on her shirt also seems to vary from level to level as well.

I also have a suggestion for the Jungle Road hidden Valley stampede if you're still doing that:
Rig a model of several triceratops to move in unison controlled by a single AI. Just be careful with the Polygon count, since you know what happens if too many polygons are on screen at once... Alternatively, you could scrap the stampede idea and just put some dinosaurs in there to attack Anne on her way to the monorail.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Not sure if you have read everything Glitch, but atm, this project is on infinite hold.
As Draco have gone to do other things (he will get back) but I'm sure he won't take on another big project like this. There have also been a lot of changes in this project after we recieved build 96, the vo scripts and walkthrough.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I read some of it but I wanted to contribute something to it since I missed out when it was active. Besides, it should be back eventually, and when it is, he can read my post. =P In the mean time, I'll continue playing around with the beta levels and bitching and swearing about the fact that Jungle Road's BMP heightmap keeps crashing the game when I try to import it to my maps. lol.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

The trespasser dev's, Glitch, unlike us, had a lot of access to the hardware level of things where they could directly access graphics memory and the graphics processor where as today we have to use round-about methods or shader programming to do that. Also back then you could easily optimize your code to work with core processors because game devs used the same machines :P
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Ah I see, well, I'm messing with PV. Basically, what I'm doing is fixing Raptor skins by replacing them with ones taken from the final. (PV raptors have lighter colored orange spots and ugly discolored mouthes for some reason.)
Also ported over Asjad's Green T-Rex as it's the closest thing to the "Beta Green T-Rex" we have currently. The reason I did this is because the discolored Rex mouth was annoying. Also ported over a Spinosaurus for lulz, just to see it fight the Rex. XD Turns out, the T-Rex is a coward:
Spoiler: show

I'm probably not going to be releasing this map publicly, it's just something I'm doing for fun. It also has a few crashing issues which I can't seem to figure out... Like using the Tnext cheat crashes the game, but I swear I haven't touched the triggers.

Other things I changed were adding a couple of Compies to the Geothermal plant (they can't walk though as for some odd reason the code is incomplete, probably has to do with me ripping them from East Dock's basement.)

Other plans for this little private project include fixing the Triceratops because the skins on the Trikes in the level all have some Blue lines on them and fixing the Stegosaurus at the end of the level that seems screwed up for some odd reason. (doesn't do anything, just sits there.) Also replaced Anne's beta model with the final's since it has more detail and so I could use it with the other retail levels and it would look right. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to do due to my lack of Tres Engine coding experience.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Basically, what I'm doing is fixing Raptor skins by replacing them with ones taken from the final. (PV raptors have lighter colored orange spots and ugly discolored mouthes for some reason.)
It's some error in the SWP file, when they imported them, same goes for the T-Rex. I believe the Test level also have that.
Like using the Tnext cheat crashes the game, but I swear I haven't touched the triggers.
Not about the triggers I believe. Remember that the final levels also got some stuff like that, like you die at one point it the town.
Other plans for this little private project include fixing the Triceratops because the skins on the Trikes in the level all have some Blue lines on them and fixing the Stegosaurus at the end of the level that seems screwed up for some odd reason. (doesn't do anything, just sits there.)
If you take a look at the Stego, you can see that it doesn't have any scripts, that's why it doesn't do anything :P