Ruin Town - The Mod

No Longer Active! - The first TresCom Community Project - restoring and rebuilding the original game.

Moderators: tatu, scallenger, Rebel, Wajas

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Ruin Town - The Mod

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooo there's a new project in town. Sort of an extension of Tres: Reloaded without being a part of that mod. We've attempted this sort of mod at least once before and failed.. The goal? A version of IT where the various members here each have their own house/bungalow/room. 8)

The most difficult part will be making this a co-project. Ideally, we pass the level files back and forth and mod our own house/room.

Finally - the dinosaurs. A level this dense probably won't be able to handle CAnimals very well. Might be nice, though.
We'll see how this goes! :nerd:

``````````````````````````

Current map of RT residences (as of 4/4/17):
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Last edited by Draconisaurus on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Ruin Town - The Mod

Post by tatu »

I would suggest no dinosaurs (at least not in the town itself). Then we can make a more detail map with some personal puzzles etc :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I do quite like this idea, but I'd just be a bit worried about consistency. Some might make their house too large, too small, etc, or add more props than others, hogging framerate and such. Either way, I'd definitely be on board to put a house in this level. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds good to me! Yeah the level-loan aspect might be something we reserve for trusted members.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Well I say lets try it. If someone add too many stuff, or make house too big, we just ask them to remove/reduce it. I think using retail buildings will fix most of it. Also, if it is too much clutter that reduce FPS, I guess someone could just try to reduce it by deleting some objects, in case the creator doesn't want or have time :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Might work. FPS is def. a big issue for this mod..
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Whenever development begins on this, I'm willing to do a few 3D models by request. If anyone is interested, send me a PM listing what you might like to have done.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Might work. FPS is def. a big issue for this mod..
Perhaps there should be a limit to how many objects everyone is allowed to have in their house? Surely nobody would go over 100-200 in the first place. I personally don't think the FPS would bog down too much, so long as the main focus of the level is the town itself. From my own work, it seems Tres CE is fine with medium-sized levels of 20000+ objects - haven't seen it crash before due to object count and I figure you can probably go well above that number. ATX from what I remember is decent up to about 35000 objects before you start to run into stability problems (JPDS~Streams and Tres Legacy in particular used to give me a few render-related crashes here and there).

Ah, and just curious - how were you thinking of laying out the town itself? Would you be putting down roads and basic amenities, then letting users pick their plots of land? And what are the size limits of each house? It would seem kind of silly if everyone in town had a colossal mansion. Tatu mentioned using vanilla assets, which made me wonder if it would just be best to use the vanilla town bungalows and have users texture and fill them with their own objects.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:Perhaps there should be a limit to how many objects everyone is allowed to have in their house? Surely nobody would go over 100-200 in the first place.
Sounds good...
Ah, and just curious - how were you thinking of laying out the town itself? Would you be putting down roads and basic amenities, then letting users pick their plots of land?
Was going to start it as with one of the versions of IT, then mod it from there. Might even use retail IT to keep the normalmaps...
I'm thinking we'll put a bunch of buildings/bungalows around and go from there, letting people pick where they will live. Aha and we should include other buildings such as ones from JPDS~HRS..
And what are the size limits of each house? It would seem kind of silly if everyone in town had a colossal mansion.
Hmmm I wonder who will live in Hammond's Mansion.. Erm duh, Hammond of course :P
tatu

Post by tatu »

Just a thought, maybe we would like to clean up the buildings? Doing fresh meshes I could do myself, but clean textures I can't. Unless we would want it to be a "ruin" town?

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm thinking we'll put a bunch of buildings/bungalows around and go from there, letting people pick where they will live. Aha and we should include other buildings such as ones from JPDS~HRS..
Sounds like a plan then. :)
Actually...random question - did you originally intend each room in the HRS apartment block to belong to a member of JPDS or TresCom? Just curious. If that were the case, this would be a good place to do that.
Hmmm I wonder who will live in Hammond's Mansion.. Erm duh, Hammond of course :P
Yeah, I feel like Hammond, Wu and Nedry should retain their original houses with extra decoration, of course. And maybe add one for Muldoon, Arnold etc.
tatu wrote:Just a thought, maybe we would like to clean up the buildings? Doing fresh meshes I could do myself, but clean textures I can't. Unless we would want it to be a "ruin" town?
That was another thing I forgot to suggest, so definitely behind this myself. I intended to do this for Town HD, but the meshes would be much more detailed than retail so if the goal is to have the Tres-Town level run well on everyone's computer, that idea would be a no-no.
As for actually cleaning the buildings up, that would depend on if the town is supposed to be abandoned or not. If it's called "Ruin Town", then they should probably remain dirty.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ruin Town is def. going to be full of buildings with dirt all over them.
Mmmm thinking about it.. Might want to leave the HRS living quarters building out. TresCom has a lot of members but not THAT many. Hmm then again.. Some people might want an apt. instead of a bungalow.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote: Mmmm thinking about it.. Might want to leave the HRS living quarters building out. TresCom has a lot of members but not THAT many. Hmm then again.. Some people might want an apt. instead of a bungalow.
Yeah, that would probably be wise since we don't even know how many people would be up for this sort of thing anyway.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*inspiration knocks* Was just thinking that it's unfortunate that this level would definately not be set during the night.. Then I recalled the method of day-time-cycling via fog! :mrgreen: Def. think we should do that for RT.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:*inspiration knocks* Was just thinking that it's unfortunate that this level would definately not be set during the night.. Then I recalled the method of day-time-cycling via fog! :mrgreen: Def. think we should do that for RT.
Hmm. Yeah, that would definitely be a decent idea here. However, this would also require adding in lights that toggle visibility and such, as well as making sure any appropriate objects in player homes have night-based features. To me, just the daytime edition would be okay, but if night could be added, it would be quite interesting.