Does anyone have the original programs?

List your programs here (game-related or other software).

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, madppiper, TresCom Support Team

Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Re: Does anyone have the original programs?

Post by Bryankd2015 »

The pic here is representive to what I found in hc, sb, and sh so maybe you guys were right, placeholders or something.. I am still going through other files and will let you know more.
Attachments
this is what hc had.bmp
this is what hc had.bmp (3.66 MiB) Viewed 9971 times
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

As a quick note to anyone that may be following this thread, I plan on using any information and programs available to get the original 1997 walkthrough of trespasser as close as possible, for everyone to play it, the way it should have been. I will accept any help I can get and I will help others, in the quest to make the original game as good as it can be. I want to see all the levels described in that walkthrough, and I will continue to work on it, as much as possible.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Bryankd2015 wrote:Well, I did that.. am posting the pic here..
That's the Town, right? And yet, it has that depression (the lake?) in there...
It's definitely different from the other versions we've seen so far. Closest to the Beta 96 one, except for that lake:
it-96.wtd.bmp
it-96.wtd.bmp (1 MiB) Viewed 9967 times
It appears you're right, when they did that one they were starting to remove things from the Plains and place them in the (modified) Town level instead...

Could you do the same with the PL level (post the terrain as a .bmp file)?
Bryankd2015 wrote:The pic here is representive to what I found in hc, sb, and sh so maybe you guys were right, placeholders or something.. I am still going through other files and will let you know more.
Yeah, a flat terrain with no objects and a basic palette, I guess that explains the sizes of those files...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

ya.. let me work on it as I am having some technical problems with my computer at the moment.. so I need to fix those before I can access anything programming or game wise at all.. graphic glitch
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Aside from the lake, the other main differences are in the terrain at both edges of the dam...

Oh, and search for an object named "TeleportPlainsMidPoint-00" both in IT and PL, I'm curious...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

alright I will check around the level for it
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

machf wrote:Aside from the lake, the other main differences are in the terrain at both edges of the dam...

Oh, and search for an object named "TeleportPlainsMidPoint-00" both in IT and PL, I'm curious...

Sorry, I couldnt find that, but I did get a pic of the terrain.. you may find interesting
Attachments
pl.wtd.bmp
pl.wtd.bmp (1 MiB) Viewed 9952 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Bryankd2015 wrote:
machf wrote:Aside from the lake, the other main differences are in the terrain at both edges of the dam...

Sorry, I couldnt find that, but I did get a pic of the terrain.. you may find interesting
Interesting. This version occupies the same area as the Town coordinates, and you can see the Town contours, though somewhat blurred...

Importing this terrain into a copy of the Town level makes the "TeleportPlainsMidPoint-00" object appear over the surface of the terrain now...
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I dont get it.. what is it that is now above the town.. and where was it before?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

"TeleportPlainsMidPoint-00" is a teleport destination object that apparently was left from the original Plains and in the retail Town level can be found underground (use CTRL+F in TresEd to search for it). I made a copy of the Town level renaming it as "PL" (GeomAdd lets you do that) and in TresEd imported the terrain bitmap you posted, and after doing that, the object is now slightly above the new terrain, no longer underground...
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

ohh ok. I posted what I have seen so far, and not knowing the dates on those files cant really tell much.

Since multiple levels I got were basically placeholders, I am wanting to start some of those levels from scratch and put them in the game the way it belongs. I guess there were never any real tutorials written when trescom made the tools to create levels, cause I cant find much on it. I posted elsewhere about problems with the trescom twilight I ran into.
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Bryankd2015 wrote:ohh ok. I posted what I have seen so far, and not knowing the dates on those files cant really tell much.

Since multiple levels I got were basically placeholders, I am wanting to start some of those levels from scratch and put them in the game the way it belongs. I guess there were never any real tutorials written when trescom made the tools to create levels, cause I cant find much on it. I posted elsewhere about problems with the trescom twilight I ran into.
Let me see if I can help you out:

You can try: viewforum.php?f=31 for some tutorials , http://www.trescom.org/documents/ has some stuff as well

There are some tutorials the problem always was the lack of time by some members that really know there way around the editor / engine etc... and the fact that editing Trespasser requires some knowledge and a lot of patience, since the engine was really not intended for modding at all, as we have the saying around here that when you do a level "Backup , backup, backup" is one of the main things you have to do.

But if you have any questions feel free to post them on the forum :wink:

hope I could help :)
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10757

look here as to the problems I was having, just trying to start a level mind you. I have gotten nowhere from this point on the new or rebuilt levels.
mleise
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by mleise »

Nice CD with old stuff you got there! Didn't know they reused the town terrain for the plains and that seemingly a whole different set of maps was planned. Its funny how an old computer in a derelict building can end up with a friend of someone and suddenly you get an insight into the development progress back in the 90s.

The source code is probably a bit outdated. If you want to modify it, I'd use the leaked code that matches the original release version 1.0 (build 116) like Lee Arbuco did. The patched code would be perfect, but hey, can't have everything.

As ready to use engines there is currently two:
  • Twilight/ATX Trespasser, which is based on hacking the original binary with no source code available and adds significant gameplay extensions like a ammo display and new entities for mapping
  • Lee Arbucos CE based on the 1.0 source code, that goes in another direction and allows Trespasser to use new versions of Direct3D and adds some eye candy like refractive water
For the original game it doesn't matter much, but a hand full of custom maps rely on ATX extensions.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

as it is difficult to tell what version the source code is, I want to see if it can be compiled to work, then we will know if it works. It seems to be pretty buggy. I want to get what I can of the lost levels, and the retail levels and restore them to a full version game.