Does anyone have the original programs?

List your programs here (game-related or other software).

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, madppiper, TresCom Support Team

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Does anyone have the original programs?

Post by machf »

Plains... Shore... Hunter's Camp... Plantation House... sounds interesting. Too bad we don't see the dates of those files.

Looks like most are just dummy/basic "filler" or placeholder files, except for PL.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Bryankd2015 wrote:I am unsure what these do, and need to know or if they are working properly.
Those batch files were meant to invoke the compiler to build Trespasser and the GUIapp tool, among other things.
They were meant to work with Visual C++ 6.0, IIRC.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Like I said, these were sent to me by an old friend that got ahold of an old Dreamworks computer and this was what was left on it, it could have been experimental files or what have you, but I know so far they do not open under anything. I will try again later, and try to get screenshots of errors.
scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by scallenger »

What a find! I was wondering if there were any files you had that are called "Stream.tpa", and if so, if you could show the dated info and size of that file? Thanks!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Look here for an explanation of those level files:

http://www.trescom.org/files/docs/formats.html

If you have performed a "HDD install" of Trespasser (copying the contents of the retail CD to a folder in your HDD and installing the game from there instead of the actual CD), you can copy those level files (minus the .SWP ones which are 0KB) into the "data" folder, start Trespasser and use the "CTRL+SHIFT+TAB+Q-Q" cheat in the main menu to manually load (or try) the levels into the game.

If that doesn't work, you can get the "swpz" tool which can be found here:
http://www.trescom.org/tools/
Use it to decompress the .SPZ files to get new .SWP ones (by dragging the .SPZ file on top of the swpz.exe file, it will automatically generate the corresponding .SWP - it works both ways, so make sure you don't drag a 0KB .SWP file and end up with a 0KB .SPZ file too!), then get TresEd (found there further below, too), load it and open the .scn files, that way you'll at least be able to see what the levels look like.

If that doesn't work either... well, you could always send me the files to keep trying to find a way. ;)

Is there a working version of GUIapp among the files you have in there? Because it can be used for opening the levels, too (though it's unstable in modern versions of Windows...)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

scallenger wrote:What a find! I was wondering if there were any files you had that are called "Stream.tpa", and if so, if you could show the dated info and size of that file? Thanks!
I'm more interested in "Stream.txt" if it exists... ;)
(or rather, "Effects.txt" and "Ambient.txt", as I think we already know the names of every sound sample BUT ONE inside Stream.tpa)
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

ya.. I do have Trespasser installed HDD, and I did plce the files in that folder.. but no they wont open, but I am working on a addon through VC++ 6 that might help me open them, I had an idea after reading the stuff here, so I will let you know if I get them open. No, I do not have guiapp able to run, that is one of my problems, however a couple of the other programs there actually do run, but they need the guiapp in order to work.
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

As I get to open up some files here and there, I will post screen shots if I can to what I found. You may find this interesting.. is part of the pl file that opened up, but it erors out after I move from this area, so I am still working on it. odd the pallette is different, but that is where part of the problem is. Enjoy the pic here.
Attachments
first pic I got of that pl file.bmp
first pic I got of that pl file.bmp (3.66 MiB) Viewed 12710 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... here's the same location in the retail Town level:
ITsamelocationImage2.jpg
ITsamelocationImage2.jpg (172.23 KiB) Viewed 12703 times
Resize it to 1600x1000 to match the other picture...

The dam and the control room are in the same place (as they should be), but the terrain is somewhat different and the textures too... and of course, the foliage isn't there.

Removing the palm tree in the foreground allows for a better comparison:
ITsamelocationImage3.jpg
ITsamelocationImage3.jpg (215.48 KiB) Viewed 12703 times
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

by the look of what I could see, I think it was after it was decided to lose the plains level, so they were in the process of removing stuff. Also, not for south of that is the edge of the map, there is nothing where the trail should be. and further up, is basically the same, with funky looking gates you could step over. That pretty much ends that level, and I really dont think I should worry about it much more.

However.. I did find something interesting on the in town lvl I got from that disc.. I will post a screen shot if one will come out right..
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Look closely at the end of in town pic notice the level it would load and where it is.

the other one I found on the plains level
Attachments
possible lake area.bmp
possible lake area.bmp (3.66 MiB) Viewed 12703 times
end lvl in town look close.bmp
end lvl in town look close.bmp (3.66 MiB) Viewed 12703 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Interesting. Definitely different.

Can you use the option Terrain->Export terrain->Export terrain to .bmp and post it?
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I didnt know about that
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

Well, I did that.. am posting the pic here..
Attachments
it.wtd.bmp
it.wtd.bmp (1 MiB) Viewed 12702 times
Bryankd2015
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Bryankd2015 »

I have gotten into 3 other ones, finding a weird light thing in them and absolutely flat nothingness. those levels do not even have the terrain set right, there are all kinds of holes.. there are no trees, and no other objects.. the palette is really bad there. I will post the ones I found that in.. will see if the bmp comes out right for those.