Draco - Tuesday, 12 April 2011 (JPDS RELEASED)

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Draco - Tuesday, 12 April 2011 (JPDS RELEASED)

Post by Draconisaurus »

Name: Draco Astreus
Position: Almost everything
Listening to: Nox Arcana

Well everyone, big announcement. I am officially done with working on JPDS - for all time. No it's not a late April Fool's joke.
So the big question - is it finished?! That depends on how you want to define the word. I do not think JPDS ever had the potential to be fully realized as the visions that were had for it. They were always far and beyond extravagant compared to what was reasonably possible with our resources. Not that Tres couldn't handle it - but WE, the people bound with hunched backs in front of our monitors, can not or should not do the work which would be required to get there.

Last night I finished a period of nearly 48 hours with NO sleep or rest, and in the second half almost no food. The circumstances of my life have become such that I needed to be rid of this project, so I committed to ending all work from me on JPDS before I went to sleep on Sunday night. Well, Sunday night came and passed without JPDS being in a position for release.. Mind-boggling progress was and continued to be made through yesterday, but it still was not enough for the insane amount required. So I just stayed up and kept working. It worked amazingly well as long as I didn't do any physical exertion and just stayed at the computer the whole time.

Last night at about 0130, at long last I reached my breaking point after 6.5 years, and the realization hit me that I simply was not going to finish JPDS. I realized that sometimes you have to lose a long-term investment in order to make new ones, and that's what I'm doing here.

Reasonably playable versions of the levels - JPDS~streams, JPDS~plains, JPDS~trails, JPDS~HRS, JPDS~forest - are ready to go and will be released through Tatu along with the JPDS engine itself and sizable additive TPAs. Streams is the most complete of all and besides a few small bugs, it's a completed no-corners-cut level with tons of scripted mechanics going on everywhere. Plains is more or less in the same position, though not as complex a level. The others are in various states of non-completion but overall what's missing is scripted mechanics and not gaping holes in the play area or some such. In fact, Trails has a ton of working puzzles to delight yourself in. You just can't eat the mushrooms, sorry.. that would have taken another hour or two and I was at the end of my line. It also has plentiful dinos (with new vocals in all levels) and some events scripted with them. HRS and Forest also have several working puzzles. In fact, HRS is mostly complete too, since it has no dinos.

Many thanks to the people who contributed in massive or small ways to this project. I hope what survives now can do it justice. Tatu and I should be ready to release these things in under a week. In a few more weeks we'll be opening the private JPDS forum for all to see. There are some neat gems in there and lots of story written for JPDS that never made it into level-form. I also plan to release the last one of all-one-level versions of JPDS1, which is at least a couple years old now, for an entertaining time traveling without interruption through a gargantuan level of over 55 thousand objects and 4096 meters across. We come to it at last.

Image Image Image Image

EDIT:

The first release of Jurassic Park: Dark Secrets is now officially out. Since I know some of you complain about not being able to complete large downloads, it has been split into 5 archives, the first 4 being 50 MB each. Download it from the link on TresCom's mainpage:
http://trescom.org/
It contains the engine and all files required for JPDS~streams (other than the three non-menu TPA files from Trespasser build 116, without which you will get no sound). The other levels and their files will be released soon.

~~~

Some people have reported corruption errors with the files, stemming from from the split archive feature. If this has happened to you, or if you want less files to mess around with, you can use the following download links to get uncorrupted files.

The engine and its files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?813f5oi9lcpg0c4
The level:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6xnce427xudogfu

~~~

JPDS Plains is now out! viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Draco - Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Post by tatu »

Thank you Draco!

I really hope everyone will enjoy this when it's been released. As Draco said, it will be here within a week for you all.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Can't wait!

(Cue epic music)
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

So will you be releasing the models and other assets that didn't make it into the levels?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

jetblack - yes I plan to. A surprising amount of previously dropped models became suddenly "used models" in JPDS within the last few days, as well as some others in the past few months, but there are some others we can release, like the (very) unfinished Embryonics Administration interior. We also need to get on Second Illiteration's case and make him release some of his dinos that were on hold for JPDS. *coughspinocough* Besides this, as stated, the JPDS Conference Room will be opened up and there's a lot of material there like old maps and plot drafts. I'll be posting a new thread in that forum pretty soon with all surviving concept art and map material. Also a new JPDS~testing will be out sometime after release.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

UPDATE! See edit to first post!
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Draco - Tuesday, 12 April 2011 (JPDS RELEASED)

Post by jetblack »

When I extract part 2, it tells me tpassintro.smk and V1M_Background.tga are broken. With part 3, V1M Background and AmbientDS.tpa. Part 4, AmbientDS and StreamStreams. Part 5, StreamStreams. And since tpassintro is broken, it can't boot.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmmm.... Tatu reported to me his reaction when he read the readme file, which he could only have gotten by downloading everything, and he reported no errors. What kind of connection are you using? I might suggest trying it again, perhaps in a few hours..

EDIT: I'm going to go ahead and try mirroring these files to MediaFire. They will be available in a little bit..
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Downloading!

(Epic music keeps playing)
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Ok, everything looks fantastic, but I'm having one slight problem... There's no sound! There's sound in the cutscenes (and are we supposed to hear voices on the telephone conversations or its just the text?) but there's no sound in-game.

Help!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GODS READ THE README BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS! :lol: And it states quite clearly in my first post of this thread what you will need in order to get sound.

Good to know that the files weren't corrupted for you!

In case anyone has trouble with the TresCom uploads, here are some mediafire links:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yws1vbmjm9jmimz
http://www.mediafire.com/?u4mdh82t99n3ho8
http://www.mediafire.com/?vwgwh52imv8duxv
http://www.mediafire.com/?3wduqb8zr80t87u
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1xgm7pm7lby0cf
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Lol sorry I rarely read readmes :lol:

But I read it and it worked wonders! Thanks! Now... We play! (Cue epic music)
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

Nope, problem still persists. Could either you or tatu send me the files individually?
tatu

Post by tatu »

The archive is working fine.

jetblack - Try turn off your Anti-Virus and Firewall software. I remember last year while downloading stuff, that my Firewall made EVERYTHING I downloaded corrupted, both archives AND stuff like AVI files. So please, turn of your AV and Firewall and try again.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yeah jetblack, unfortunately transferring such huge files through a messenger software is likely to take a prohibitive amount of time, and is very prone to failing before completion, and thus to giving headaches.. Try Tatu's advice and get back to us. If all else fails I suppose we could try to make a single massive archive to download at once.