Draco - Thursday, 11 December 2008

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Draco - Thursday, 11 December 2008

Post by Draconisaurus »

Name: Draco Astreus
Position: Team Leader, 3D modeller, event scripter, sound design, level design, texture design
Listening to: Bach - organ chorales from the leipzig Manuscript vol 1

Here we go! It's been a while since the last update so let's get right down to business.
First off, in case anyone's reading this who doesn't already know, JPDS1 is now going to be the only JPDS level made for the Trespasser engine, seeing as my little band of modders has opted to move on from Trespasser's static, unfixable core engine and develop our own (not quite from scratch, but starting from a renowned existing rendering engine, I'll let Rex explain that sometime if he wants to). Now, many of you have already heard this - what you haven't heard is that the entire Embryonics Administration, once the premier location of the level, is quite sadly going to be shaven off. Some weeks prior to the decision about a new engine, I had already planned to put the EA in its own level sighting concerns over FPS and level object population (the palette issue was a consideration but has now been fixed). Now, it's just not going to be in there at all. Crafting models for Trespasser and modern engines are entirely different occupations and at this point, I don't even want to go-there-do-that to make the whole EA twice. Our new engine will do it all way better. This philosophy is also partially behind the decision to make only the bare necessities for JPDS1 as far as new models goes. Where possible, existing Trespasser models will be used or retextured instead.

Probably the biggest thing that the Trespasser edition of JPDS1 will be missing is the bulk of the story that was to be told. The EA is really where all the mysteries unfold and more questions start getting asked/answered.. there will be some still present in JPDS1 but it's just not going to be what I wanted. I am confident I can bring everything together how I wanted in JPDS with a new engine - it's going to be sweet. Sad to say, this also means that the JPDS private forum here will remain private for quite some time, most likely. I may try getting a few non-sensitive threads moved into this section for some entertainment.. I'm going to have a much larger audience now for JPDS and letting you all in on some secrets will be just fine - and I doubt many of them will find their way into this forum lol.

As a final note on changes to the plan of action, there will no longer be the much-anticipated (at least, behind the scenes) new Trespasser health system, I am very sad to say. HP was going to be set at a high number (perhaps around 200-500) and the Regeneration value (as yet untested with the Player class) was to be used to halt the regeneration of HP - as the player, you would be forced to forage for food in the game's environment. There were to be mushrooms and fruits and coconuts and crap like that.. at this point there just isn't enough time for implementation and experimental tweaking. What's yet undecided is if I will be using the new ammo system where you can reload your guns with ammo... While I'd love to do that and it wouldn't be *too* hard, it would still most likely add at least 3 days to project completion and I may not be able to afford that. I may still *possibly* attempt it if someone wants to help out with that.. *stares at Rex*

Oh yeah. This also means there will be no JPDS2 Spino. SI, sometime soon we might as well release the various dinos we've been keeping on hold. Actually, we ought to make a little level to populate with them, just for fun.. What about that little Mayan place of yours?

And now it's getting late.. here are some pics of my latest progress, enjoy.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: Draco - Thursday, 11 December 2008

Post by RexHunter99 »

Okay dokey! I will explain the new engine Draco mentioned some other time, as it needs a lot of explanation >_<

Anyway, I knew most of this, Draco's been spoon feeding it to me for ages, in fact since I became his unofficial underling :lol:
What's yet undecided is if I will be using the new ammo system where you can reload your guns with ammo... While I'd love to do that and it wouldn't be *too* hard, it would still most likely add at least 3 days to project completion and I may not be able to afford that. I may still *possibly* attempt it if someone wants to help out with that.. *stares at Rex*
What me? Sure, let me grab TresED and such before I do anything with JPDS. I think I understand how it would work because I had thought up a similar system for PF, that was before I reformatted my PC and lost everything *sigh* which reminds me that XP is causing Trespasser to not play audio >.< I need to do that quick fix thingy with that DLL or whatever.

Alas, JPDS1 will not be as grand as it was intended to be, but atleast the greatest Trespasser level will finally be released to you guys pretty damned soon. :) Peace out ya'll
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

That's some damn fine work on the new "foundation" :P I see you decided to not recreate the entire Lodge and just make it a foundation like the hotel in Trespasser. Nice billboard too.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

"Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."
Can't wait! :mrgreen:
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

holy blundering CR*P those first few screenies look nice zlet me know if you have any environmental advisor vacancies on the team
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

RexHunter99 wrote:Okay dokey! I will explain the new engine Draco mentioned some other time, as it needs a lot of explanation >_<
Looking forward to it 8)
What me? Sure, let me grab TresED and such before I do anything with JPDS. I think I understand how it would work because I had thought up a similar system for PF, that was before I reformatted my PC and lost everything *sigh* which reminds me that XP is causing Trespasser to not play audio >.< I need to do that quick fix thingy with that DLL or whatever.
Indeed, keep me posted. I may also put you to work giving physics to the lodge area if you're up for it, haha
hppav wrote:That's some damn fine work on the new "foundation" :P I see you decided to not recreate the entire Lodge and just make it a foundation like the hotel in Trespasser. Nice billboard too.
Thanks :D And well, yes it's not going to be the entire lodge but the site is not hardly finished just yet - some areas will be just foundations but I'm going to have some new concrete walls similar to the ones seen in the JPDS~testing destructable building demo. The scaffolding objects are also going to get lots of use for some 'fun' puzzles. ;)
Nick3069 wrote:"Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming."
Can't wait! :mrgreen:
Quite so XD
Shadow Wolf wrote:holy blundering CR*P those first few screenies look nice zlet me know if you have any environmental advisor vacancies on the team
Thanks.. haha, you wanna give some environment advice? I'm open for it but JPDS1 foliage is already 99% complete :P and we're also under a number of strictures from the engine and size of the level.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Ah the mayan temple level...got corrupted I don't think it works anymore. I started making a new bigger temple and such but, I haven't really done much with tres lately. But, yeah I still have tons of skins that should be released. Keep me posted.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
Shadow Wolf wrote:holy blundering CR*P those first few screenies look nice zlet me know if you have any environmental advisor vacancies on the team
Thanks.. haha, you wanna give some environment advice? I'm open for it but JPDS1 foliage is already 99% complete :P and we're also under a number of strictures from the engine and size of the level.
well, not on DS1... I'd say it's too late for that but I do come with first hand experience of a wide range of ecosystems, extensive knowlage on some others and my ever present pile of reference shots which is growing rather slowly atm
SI wrote:But, yeah I still have tons of skins that should be released.
any vibrant jungle or pale desert skins you wouldn't mind parting with?
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Okay, just an update for Draco. I got TresED and GeomAdd back, and I'm pretty much setting up my archive now... the last one was a mess as you could probably remember XD Anyway I just need to get Trespasser installed and working and to then get a copy of the Demo running so I can muck around with stuff before I get to the real work.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sounds good, Rex. Lemme know when you're ready..
Shadow Wolf wrote:well, not on DS1... I'd say it's too late for that but I do come with first hand experience of a wide range of ecosystems, extensive knowlage on some others and my ever present pile of reference shots which is growing rather slowly atm
Ahh. Alright well I suppose that means you could potentially aid us in production of Tres: R.. see if you can demo the kind of stuff you could provide in messenger.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Righty-o, off to see the Trespasser wizard! The wonderful wizard of Trespasseeeeeer!
EpicZen
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

XD Yes and for those who did not figure it out, Rex is now on the JPDS Team to try and help us get this thing out in time without massive amounts of missing content..