Draco - Sunday, 3 August 2008

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Draco - Sunday, 3 August 2008

Post by Draconisaurus »

Name: Draco Astreus
Position: Team Leader, 3D modeller, event scripter, sound design, level design, texture design
Occupation: Aspiring Game Designer, Boyfriend, Restaurant Front Worker
Listening to: LOTR TTT - The Complete Recordings

Okay then! It's time for another update from your friendly neighborhood JPDS Team.
We've been fairly busy just lately (well, some of us) in accomplishing JPDS objectives and things are moving along at a well enough pace. A couple weeks ago I completed a new building for the Hillside Research Station and it's taught me loads about creating buildings in Max... I'm not sure what I was thinking before, sometimes. JPDS is like a chronicle of all my life lessons, haha.. anyway. The building was comparatively very small with respect to, say, the Embryonics Administration, and by the time I finally get back to that, I should be doing it MUCH faster and more procedurally than I ever had been, when it took me a month to complete the first floor of a single building without even having window or door cuts yet.. I think I may be working on the Dam Control Building next, a building about 1.5 to 2 times the size of the one I just did, in order to continue honing these skills before I move on the big daddy. :P The texture work has also been quite fun, and I've also discovered that you can fix any objects missing their magnets ingame by simply deleting them, undoing the deletion, and saving your level. For some reason these instances are put at the end of the instance list no matter what - just be careful, as the previous objects in those instance positions will be thrown back. This is fine if they are physics or trees or something, but not so much if they are guns or doors etc.

After I finished that.... well this is probably when I should introduce you to the JPDS Team's newest member: Nem, creator of the infamous Trespasser Legacy 1! :mrgreen: As we've all seen, he's an amazingly capable level designer/creator and it's been a long time since I had someone I could trust this much working in TresEd with the level files. My trust doesn't come easily, heh. I was going to try having the level ready for him to do both foliage and interior object placement, but ultimately the new building took up all my time and for now he gets to focus on outdoor environment (foliage, terrain objs, etc.). He's done a bit of work on it by now and so far it's looking awesome, he'll be posting an introductory dev journal when he's got some shots to show off that I'm able to approve for release. ;)

Since I delivered the level to him about a week and a half ago, most of what I've been up to is actually working in JPDS~testing on the JPDS1 gun set. For the vast majority of the project, I've planned that, as a massive level, JPDS1 would include ALL retail Trespasser guns in addition to ALL mystery-model weapons we have at our disposal. Machf's release of the armory was for the most part extremely impressive, and sometime in the past couple of months I decided that I would be replacing some retail weapons with better-looking weapons from the Armory. I didn't have time to mess with it and so the idea sat around in my head for a bit.. and finally when Nem was working with the level, I decided to take a break from Max and do some TresEd work myself (which ended up having a fair share of Max work as well). So now.... instead of just replacing a few weapons or adding a bunch from the Armory, I've created a totally original weapon set for JPDS1, which ultimately includes only.. hmmm.. about 5 weapons featured in the retail game (plus a retextured retail spas). The rest are either new versions of weapons we had before, or tactical replacements that fill the same niches, as well as making some new ones. There are a number of what will be unique guns to find in JPDS1, usable through special events, hidden locations and the like. I'd show off some nice screenshots at his point, but... I want to keep the final gunset a secret until release. :yum: Better that the available weapons remain a mystery and you all get to find out what you have available to save your lives only at the last minute... ;)

I do, however, have one thing to share in this journal. Some of you may or may not have noticed the background of my latest avatar; it's a JPDS1 screenshot showing a new foliagetype I finished soon after my previous dev journal. I wasn't going to release any images of it until the next JPDS trailers, but I feel this works out fine because it's not in especially high quality or anything. :yum: ;)
The following video is the next installment in my Adventures in JPDS~Testing video series, this time with a bit of audio to boot. It showcases a scripting setup I completed last night at quite a late our before going to bed... which is exactly what I'm going to do as soon as I finish this post! Good night!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOjx-xvAM1M
(viewable in high quality)
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Re: Draco - Sunday, 3 August 2008

Post by TheGuy »

Draconisaurus wrote:and I've also discovered that you can fix any objects missing their magnets ingame by simply deleting them, undoing the deletion, and saving your level. For some reason these instances are put at the end of the instance list no matter what - just be careful, as the previous objects in those instance positions will be thrown back. This is fine if they are physics or trees or something, but not so much if they are guns or doors etc.
Woah, that's interesting. O_o
he'll be posting an introductory dev journal when he's got some shots to show off that I'm able to approve for release. ;)
Yay, can't wait for that.
I want to keep the final gunset a secret until release. :yum: Better that the available weapons remain a mystery and you all get to find out what you have available to save your lives only at the last minute... ;)
Haha... just to make the suspense even higher, I'll chime in and say that the new weapons are absolutely AWESOME! There's one that's particularly clever, which is my fav. :yum: Nice job Draco!
ImageImage
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

Nice vid!
Draconisaurus wrote:Machf's release of the armory was for the most part extremely impressive
I've been wanting to download that level for some time now, gonna check it out ASAP.

@Draco How old is the JPDS project BTW?
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Interesting... What changed with retextured retail spas? What color is it?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hehe, thanks Matt. ;P Though I don't know which one you're refering to XD
THEL1NK1N2 wrote:Nice vid!
Thankees!
Draconisaurus wrote:Machf's release of the armory was for the most part extremely impressive
I've been wanting to download that level for some time now, gonna check it out ASAP.

@Draco How old is the JPDS project BTW?
Yeah you should. And as for JPDS, you could just check the archive thread: http://trescom.3dactionplanet.gamespy.c ... 725#p24725
Nick3069 wrote:Interesting... What changed with retextured retail spas? What color is it?
Basically I desaturated it and darkened it, so it looks just like the ones in JP1.. I'm not sure where the Tres devs got the idea for a blue spas in the first place, but it seems far more dangerous and metallic now. (machf's spas was cool but didn't quite meet my qualifications ;))
Oh and, ammo is going to be a crucial element in weapon design of JPDS1 as well. ;) Instead of having 20 spas guns around the map, for example, there's more likely to be very few of them but plenty of ammo to pick up for it.. so choose your weapons wisely! And save frequently, haha.
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

Draconisaurus wrote: Yeah you should. And as for JPDS, you could just check the archive thread: viewtopic.php?p=24725#p24725
Since 2005!? :o BTW I got the armory test level... So many weapons to shoot with! machf should pat himself on the shoulder!
Draconisaurus wrote:Oh and, ammo is going to be a crucial element in weapon design of JPDS1 as well. ;) Instead of having 20 spas guns around the map, for example, there's more likely to be very few of them but plenty of ammo to pick up for it.. so choose your weapons wisely! And save frequently, haha.
Good. A bit more realism. Like coke and more?

Didn't even know you had released JPDS videos. Saw them all today + a few of theguy's vids. All very good.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

THEL1NK1N2 wrote:Since 2005!? :o BTW I got the armory test level... So many weapons to shoot with! machf should pat himself on the shoulder!
Dec. 2004, actually.. and yeah it's a sweet level, though some of the guns are a bit odd. :yum:
Good. A bit more realism. Like coke and more?
An advanced version of that, yes. Additional scripting methods will be required to set up the environment of guns as a whole.
Didn't even know you had released JPDS videos. Saw them all today + a few of theguy's vids. All very good.
Thanks. :) And yeah Matt does lots of great vids too.. I'm sure he'll be doing plenty of ones on JPDS when the time comes.

BTW, in the jounral I said "Adventures in JPDS~Testing", it's actually Tales From JPDS~testing, my bad.. I was really sleepy at that point lol.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
THEL1NK1N2 wrote:Since 2005!? :o BTW I got the armory test level... So many weapons to shoot with! machf should pat himself on the shoulder!
Dec. 2004, actually.. and yeah it's a sweet level, though some of the guns are a bit odd. :yum:
Just remember, I didn't make them, only imported them into Trespasser...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:
still a good level, btw I have a fixed version of one of the assorted Rifles made by HK in DP thanks to Drac if you ever intend to make an armoury II... and Nem's working on 'DS now? *prances around computer room and collides with printer unit*
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Shadow Wolf wrote:
machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Dec. 2004, actually.. and yeah it's a sweet level, though some of the guns are a bit odd. :yum:
still a good level, btw I have a fixed version of one of the assorted Rifles made by HK in DP thanks to Drac if you ever intend to make an armoury II...
Haha, I am doubting there will be an Armory II, TBH. This one is good enough, despite the fixing-up that many guns ought; I think it's up to level designers to adapt the guns to their own needs and release them in their own levels at this point.
and Nem's working on 'DS now? *prances around computer room and collides with printer unit*
XD Actually I was going to model a printer & mouse for JPDS1 later this week.. I think it was also requested by someone else, tatu maybe.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

I beat you to the computer thing, I modeled my own PC and using my phone i got snapshots of the actual objects that I used as Textures.

I would like to know about the jeep's "foot", does it have to be a cube? or a block of any dimension?
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

RexHunter99 wrote:I beat you to the computer thing, I modeled my own PC and using my phone i got snapshots of the actual objects that I used as Textures.
Heheh, interesting, cellphone-photo textures.. whatever works!
I would like to know about the jeep's "foot", does it have to be a cube? or a block of any dimension?
Should work as any block but unless it's a cube, you may get irregular tumbling patterns.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
RexHunter99 wrote:I would like to know about the jeep's "foot", does it have to be a cube? or a block of any dimension?
Should work as any block but unless it's a cube, you may get irregular tumbling patterns.
Ohhh... clown car!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Uhhhhhh.... XD
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

Yep, thought as much, also can there be at least 4 of these (I don't specifically mean more 'feet' either)

Hahaha, Clown *Anne jumps behind a rock and quivers, "SCARY CLOWN!" she screams*
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!