Draco - Monday, 11 August 2008

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Draco - Monday, 11 August 2008

Post by Draconisaurus »

Name: Draco Astreus
Position: Team Leader, 3D modeller, event scripter, sound design, level design, texture design
Occupation: Aspiring Game Designer, Boyfriend, Restaurant Front Worker
Listening to: Dread Intrusion - Halo 3 OST

Didn't expect another one so soon, you say? ;) Well I've been pretty busy.. I'm not wanting to explicitly show off all that I've been up to this week but little pieces from all of it may be found in tonight's video. Nem has been just as hard at work this week as the last, if not more, and we're matting lots of headway. The JPDS1 object count has already reached the 50,000 object level and is continuing to rise. I am once again starting to get concerned that the Embryonics Administration will be split off from the rest of the level, but I will avoid this at all costs - there's lots of terrain object optimizing that could be done, if I have a mind for it. Some of it is pretty messy and would be difficult to sift through, but I have a few methods in mind if it comes to that. I wouldn't want you all to be able to load the EA without having gone through the trouble to find it, first. ;) And I'd rather not release it separately, as that would be fairly anti-climactic for JPDS1.. :?

One of the things I've been up to this week is posters and such, which turned out to be quite a task and in the end I am very impressed - collectively, plus paintings for the EA, I was able to put them all nicely into 2 palettes! I could never have hoped for better. Whilst doing up the paintings for the EA, I also generated some brand new architectural ideas for it.. and I'm going to end up totally redoing the entrance to the Research building, which you've seen in past updates - I am betting you'll all be quite impressed. 8)

That's about it for the gabber in this one! Here's the latest tale from JPDS~testing, featuring the advancements I've applied to the destructible building events most of you witnessed in the last released version of the level. These new tests are directly related to its JPDS1 implementation and have in the end been completely successful, and way too much fun to do..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JxRRUOSQNu4
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Re: Draco - Monday, 11 August 2008

Post by TheGuy »

Haha, awesome dude! :yum: It's like Crysis man!!!

Were the blocks held together by weak magnets?
ImageImage
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks! :D Yeah kinda..
Nope not magnets, I've discussed it in the JPDS~testing thread once, plus you can have a look in TresEd at the released version. A single trigger is in place for each set of wall/ceiling pieces at a given ground-square of the structure (though I only allow destruction to the parts that I want to be as such). The trigger unfreezes those pieces as the Alberto enters the trigger, so it's not actually even collision-based (which actually yields much better results; I tried collisions and magnets first a long time ago). As with the destructible box-wall, anything above the impacted structural element also falls with it. In this case it's easier because only the ground-level parts can even be reached by the impactor. The addition in this version was actually the multi-level aspect.. plus I just had the random impluse to throw that giant ***** in there XD!!
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

Lol! Wow, nice video Draco, the inside-the-the-building parts were awesome. Reminded me of Dino Crisis...

Hehe, I was hoping you would add a damage value to the wall, thought it would kill the Alberto, lol and the compy!
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Didn't expect another one so soon, you say? ;)
You can say that again! :o

:lol: It's funny how the Alberto bumps into the building and everything blows up.
Nice bunch of movie posters, but I could only identify one: Back to the Future Part 3.
What is up with the giant skull?

You have the Halo 3 OST? Lucky you, I only have the Halo (1) OST and I had a hard time finding it...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hey, Drac... why don't you use the ATX "FOLLOWDINO" cheat? For a little more variety...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

THEL1NK1N2 wrote:Lol! Wow, nice video Draco, the inside-the-the-building parts were awesome. Reminded me of Dino Crisis...
Lol thanks! I have gotten a fair amount of inspiration from DC, it's a good game.
Hehe, I was hoping you would add a damage value to the wall, thought it would kill the Alberto, lol and the compy!
Nope, sorry. Read up in the JPDS~testing thread if you want the full explination. The walls would kill the albertosaurus even with 0 damage, from the sheer impact. For the scripted event to work, the walls require negative damage values, which actually heal the alberto as he hits them. It's the only way to make it a usable event.. no point in having an alberta crash at you from outside if it's going to kill him! :sick:
Nick3069 wrote: :lol: It's funny how the Alberto bumps into the building and everything blows up.
Indeed, :lol: I have a new idea in mind so that it all doesn't explode at once; that is, there can be a slight delay in the collapse of each level of the building, which is def. more realistic.
Nice bunch of movie posters, but I could only identify one: Back to the Future Part 3.
Yeah there are a lot of movie posters there waiting to be put in JPDS1.. you didn't even get glimpses of all but 3-4, but there are lots of OTHER types of posters in there too.
What is up with the giant skull?
As I said somewhere I think, I randomly got the idea to put it there and couldn't resist. :yum: Instant increase of epicness in the event, a giant skull crashing down from the highest point. Kind of a LOTR-style touch, I guess...
You have the Halo 3 OST? Lucky you, I only have the Halo (1) OST and I had a hard time finding it...
Heh well the Halo 1 OST was quite easy for me to get - it's in the soundtrack section of local music stores here. I think the Halo 2 one can be found there, too, though I haven't got it. The Halo 3 OST I actually have on loan from Matt until I can purchase it for myself. :yum: As soon as I get the real thing, I'll be bringing it to work to listen to whilst washing dishes..
machf wrote:Hey, Drac... why don't you use the ATX "FOLLOWDINO" cheat? For a little more variety...
Oye, why didn't I think of that. I haven't even used that thing since NorthPoleChaos.. I'll have to get familiar with its controls again.

Speaking of which, we really need some videos online of all the OTHER levels for Tres that have been released... I mean, seriously, those would be fun to watch, and I don't want to make them all myself.
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Nope, sorry. Read up in the JPDS~testing thread if you want the full explination. The walls would kill the albertosaurus even with 0 damage, from the sheer impact. For the scripted event to work, the walls require negative damage values, which actually heal the alberto as he hits them. It's the only way to make it a usable event.. no point in having an alberta crash at you from outside if it's going to kill him! :sick:
But still, deep inside, you know, I know, we would all like to see that compy crushed..
Draconisaurus wrote:Speaking of which, we really need some videos online of all the OTHER levels for Tres that have been released... I mean, seriously, those would be fun to watch, and I don't want to make them all myself.
I completely, utterly agree, some videos on NPC or the other custom levels would be awesome, and like you said SOMEONE ELSE needs to do them, as we all know, you're "a little busy" :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

But still, deep inside, you know, I know, we would all like to see that compy crushed..
Maybe a bit.. :lol: but there won't actually be compys or coelo's in the area where this event takes place in JPDS1. Just one big.. ah nvm.
RexHunter99
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by RexHunter99 »

I left my comment on youtube.
~ They told me humans weren't real... I proved them wrong.
ImageAnthropology ~ A beautiful tale.
EpicZen
Carnivores Hub ~ Need the full games without all the hassle of torrents or viruses? Run on over to EpicZen's Carnivores Hub!
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Looking good. Now I'm waiting to see a destructable wall...one that isn't concrete cuz I don't think and alberta would be busting through walls like that :no: :mrgreen: But destructable stuff IS sweet
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, I agree... a concrete wall falling on top of an Albertosaurus should hurt it a lot. And it shouldn't be destructible by it in the first place. I mean, such a wall is meant to protect people from dinosaurs, right?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

True, but I would expect a rotten wooden shed (or JP outdoor toilets :P) to be destructible.
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

Nick3069 wrote:True, but I would expect a rotten wooden shed (or JP outdoor toilets :P) to be destructible.
Hehe, it'd make a nice tribute to the "blood-sucking lawyer"... :D :wink:
Nick3069 wrote:I mean, such a wall is meant to protect people from dinosaurs, right?
Yeah, I agree, but in the video, as I stated before, I liked the inside shots, it gives a nice, scary situation, a situation where, you have no control.., with the walls crashing down around you, you're trapped
in the rubble.. But it would have to be a t-rex...

EDIT: Sorry nick, quoted you for something machf said... I really have to stop doing that...
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Nick3069 wrote:True, but I would expect a rotten wooden shed (or JP outdoor toilets :P) to be destructible.
dude... I LOVE your train of thought...
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom