JPDS Requests

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: JPDS Requests

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:Heh, I think the main problem with your idea is explaining why there would be any kind of lab at such altitude.
Any self-respecting mad scientist can explain you that... ;)
But let's say there's an explination.. I just don't think that's really very compelling. Low air.. when outside.. meh. Some humans live at very high altitude and they don't require masks.
That's an adaptation. They have larger lungs than the average guy, for having lived there for generations... thus, they can take more oxygen from the air in one breath. But even that has its limits.
At the heights where breathing assistance is most necessary, it's too damn cold. You wouldn't get something like that on such a small island, IMO.

All that aside, of course the idea of a time limiter requiring you to go back and forth (for air or w/e) is nothing new to gaming, and is a fun gameplay element to play with. I could have either a room filled with gas or with water and play something similar out, and there might already be a use for the water version in planning for JPDS.. I can't go into any detail on it but our idea for it was similar though not exactly what you've proposed here.

As for the tank itself, it would be modelled so that it covers your mouth when in the stowed position.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Heh, I think the main problem with your idea is explaining why there would be any kind of lab at such altitude.
But let's say there's an explination.. I just don't think that's really very compelling. Low air.. when outside.. meh. Some humans live at very high altitude and they don't require masks.
That's an adaptation. They have larger lungs than the average guy, for having lived there for generations... thus, they can take more oxygen from the air in one breath. But even that has its limits.
hmm, yes I'd have to say there may be any number of reasons... IM me sometime for a list if you wish :P as for larger lungs... how much larger are we talking? as far as I know it's not volume it's alviolar surface area, however I think I agree they probably would be larger too, I had one of my ribs broken and it never fully healed, the fact that it sometimes hindered breathing has lead to my lungs being abnormally large, I guess difficulty breathing up a mountain would to some extent work the same...
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Christopher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by Christopher »

machf wrote:
Or astronomer. The observatories on top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii are so high that staff/visitors encounter headaches, drowsiness, nausea, shortness of breath, etc.

I've always wondered why InGen has its own brand of star charts ... :wink:
Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all." - Principal Skinner.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:
:lol: !
Christopher wrote:Or astronomer. The observatories on top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii are so high that staff/visitors encounter headaches, drowsiness, nausea, shortness of breath, etc.

I've always wondered why InGen has its own brand of star charts ... :wink:
Haha, nice... :P Sadly I think I'll have to leave that facility for another part of the island (one that's not in JPDS - after all, Isla Sorna (movie universe) is a monster of an island, and it would make sense to be in a seccluded area of it).

Maybe someone else can have a crack at that idea sometime.. there may well be enough material in JPDS to set it up, other than some more specific models that would be required..
Shadow Wolf wrote:
machf wrote:That's an adaptation. They have larger lungs than the average guy, for having lived there for generations... thus, they can take more oxygen from the air in one breath. But even that has its limits.
hmm, yes I'd have to say there may be any number of reasons... IM me sometime for a list if you wish :P as for larger lungs... how much larger are we talking? as far as I know it's not volume it's alviolar surface area, however I think I agree they probably would be larger too,
Yeah I'm familiar with the adaptations, but in films that I've seen of people visiting those areas, the indigenous people are simply much better at breathing there - 'average' breathers can still breath in the environment, they just can't be as physically active due to the reduced oxygen intake. But so, I guess my point here is that, oxygen levels low enough to still be breathable by some don't require masks for normal breathing.. it's not like they're running laps up there.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

They play soccer up there, in case you didn't know... if that doesn't involve "running laps", well...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
dartheric
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by dartheric »

i never said there should be a lab up there on a mountain.

but i did say that INGEN could have a solar panel station <<<(notice that it says solar panel not lab) used to power the buildings and it could be the only way to get power going to a radio down in the labs<<<<at ground level and you could breath up there sure but would you want to be sluggish when being chased by dinosaurs? nooooo

so thats why you would want oxygen so you could move fast through the dinos.

and i did mention a lab that woiuld have a low oxygen content because of all the genetics work going on so you would need oxygen for that.

2 different ideas that i think could work very well.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:They play soccer up there, in case you didn't know... if that doesn't involve "running laps", well...
Haha, I meant in the high-alt lab/other-building setting. I'm sure kids who grow up their run their own versions of laps all the time.. :P
dartheric wrote:you could breath up there sure but would you want to be sluggish when being chased by dinosaurs? nooooo

so thats why you would want oxygen so you could move fast through the dinos.
A valid point. Then there's the question of where the mask would come from, sure it could be in a lab at ground level but that's one less weapon spot you'd have on your way up the mountain. ;P
and i did mention a lab that woiuld have a low oxygen content because of all the genetics work going on so you would need oxygen for that.
Possibly.