Draco - Wednesday, 21 March 2007

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Draco - Wednesday, 21 March 2007

Post by Draconisaurus »

This is the back-up of my dev journal from the "new" JPDS forums that were taken down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Draco Astreus
Position: Team Leader, 3D modeller, event scripter, sound design, level design, texture design
Listening to: trance music
Estimated JPDS release date: Summer '07

Hey everyone, it's been a while. The server which originally supported http://www.jpdarksecrets.com fell into disrepair and could not be fixed, however backups were made of the site prior to the server's retirement. The website has been completely recovered and can be accessed at the new url - http://dracoastreus.co.uk/jpds - for the time being. You can now finally download LJ and NPC from the site again, too. ;)
(*addendum: in order to make sure bandwidth is not exceeded, I'm placing only LJ on the website for now. Eventually I'll announce that NPC has been uploaded. So please.. no rush to download it!! ^^;; )

Alright and now for the bad news. For whatever reason, the forum itself was not included in the backup for the website. All the graphics were included, but none of the posting or member data. We are hoping it can be retreived by plugging in the old server's HD into another computer and fishing it out ourselves... we'll have to see how that goes. That may not happen for a bit and will be interesting to work out. If we can get the old forum back, I'm sure Mickey knows how to merge all the old/new accounts and add the new posts to the original forum. ;) Until then... we're starting afresh. I don't even remember what the original developer journal format was that Mike developed, but I've got it as close as I can remember for now :P

On to the updates! ;) It's been quite a while since I've released any sort of public JPDS update. Truth be told though, we have been up to things JPDS-wise. Especially over spring break. Some things I can't even tell you about.. some things were as simple as reconstructing terrain objects to be much more simplified (for example, taking 2,500+ pv trnobjs and creating 1 big one instead). Then there was the cave... yes, the cave! I have a feeling we've never publically mentioned the cave before. Seems to me we actually wanted to keep it a secret.. and I'm going to keep its location a secret, still. However I will release some juicy pics from within. 8)

Image Image Image

OK what else is there.. oh yeah the HRS (Hillside Research Station). It's one of those things that keeps getting the short end of the stick, every time. Well we're still planning on populating it with mostly objects found in the original trespasser levels (or TC_Isle, actually), which is also where most all the textures come from. Anyways.. I've finally spent a little more time working on it. Here's what I can show off of it:

Image Image
Image Image

Hmmm and actually I must be on my way. I've got another little update but I'll save that for later. ;) Enjoy!

- Drac.
Last edited by Draconisaurus on Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

And here is a backup of the responces :)

hppav wrote:Nice, though there's something off about that window, like the frame is missing or something.
Draconisaurus wrote:Thanks, and yeah the HRS living quarters building is still fairly incomplete, no physics either, but more than enough to look good already and begin object placement.
machf wrote:Those buildings remind me a bit of the ones a the university:

http://www.urp.edu.pe/imagenes/facultades.jpg
http://www.urp.edu.pe/facultades/ingeni ... rafia1.jpg

I can't seem to find any higher resolution pictures...

http://www.urp.edu.pe/facultades/ingeni ... C04128.JPG

Hmmm... maybe making the university as a Trespasser level wouldn't be a bad idea, I remember back then I considered it a good candidate for a DooM level...
Draconisaurus wrote:Hey.. that does look pretty close, maybe that's not such a bad idea! :D
Tatu wrote:Nice update :P
A new beta soon then ? xD 8)
Mickey wrote:
Tatu wrote:Nice update :P
A new beta soon then ? xD 8)
Well I don't think there will be a beta for sometime now...
There is still a lot of work to do but when we feel the need for beta testing you will be the first to know :wink:
Second Illiteration wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:
Image Image Image

I know some perfect dinosaurs for that area...in case it's going to have some dinos....
Draconisaurus wrote:Whoa seriously? Awesome, I've been in need of some inspiration in that regard. All I know is that I'd like some sort of allosaurid-type dino in there.. though I have something more spcific in mind, too. I'll start a private thread about it.

And thanks Mickey, yes Tatu we'll let you know as soon as there is enough new material to beta test :P
General Kenobi wrote:Looks great, I can't wait. :D