Dinosaur Herd Idea

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Dinosaur Herd Idea

Post by Second Illiteration »

Me and Machf have been slightly discussing a way to realize herds in Trespasser without being bound by the awake number of dinos limit. I first suggested just creating a brach head and neck model that could be scripted to look around and eat from tree tops that the player would see when looking down into a valley or something then once they player reached the valley, and actual brach would be teleported there.

Well the same kind of idea would work with herds...If you've seen machf's seagull then you know the way we were looking at it...basically have a model containing the animations of walking or eating or whatever, and using that to create a herd. It's purely a visual thing and none of the dinos would have AI, so you could have a stampede when the player get's close (having a stampeding sound) and then teleport a couple real dinosaurs into the area.

I bring this up to see what you guys think. Would this be something worth attempting in JPDS?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Dude. Way cool. That's just what we NEED in the Plains for JPDS.... I've been worried that the 2 tc_isle paras and 1 Albertosaur, with very little else around, already slow down the engine (it becomes much faster once at least 2 of them are dead). Having static brachs or mamenchios would do wonders for the environment.. hmm I wonder what we could do about Galli herds. Anyways thanks for bringing this up.. I'll definately attempt to implement it when we get more into level-dino design. :) (the valley idea sounds awesome, btw. Would love to see it in another level, or perhaps JPDS2/3)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I was always a fan of big scenes full of dinosaurs, and I was always sad that to make the ai better, that it made it so very few dinosaurs could be awake at once.

Anyway, I only discussed it slightly with machf, and really can only offer a lot on the idea end, so bring it up with him to ask if it is possible (he told me it seemed possible but I don't think he's had any time to try it).

But I think it seems worth testing.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I can definately imagine how it might be done. Slugger could help with that, as well...