Area idea: Destructable buildings

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Area idea: Destructable buildings

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright this is a back-up/reentry of SI's thread in the "new" JPDS forum about destructable buildings:

Second Illiteration wrote:Have you made a collapsible building yet? I've tested it, but I can't get it so that when the player touches it, it stays up, but if a trex crashes into it, it gets obliterated. I think there should be a spot in a level where there is a building (or a couple I guess) that are destructable (though the player doesn't know it)

What are your thoughts? Any ideas on how to do it?

If you want i can upload the level file where I was testing it (I basically built a small shack out of planks.)

Or would it be possible to do something like crysis does, where there are designated breaking points that will break when a certain force is applied (I'm thinking about the wooden chair in the beach level)

OR...maybe by using a trigger to give certain parts of a structure a push once and only when the animal enters it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hell that's a nice idea. I'm quite familiar with the Crysis method of destructible environments, it's based on the concept of "lego-blocking" the buildings so they can come apart into all their various pieces. Funnily enough, this is a very common method of level design in Trespasser for fan-made levels, though it's usually a sign of inadequate modelling skills (thus repeatable pieces are used instead, to the same effect - with less quality in design). I could most definitely create some buildings to be composed of certain sections - even create a sort of library of building parts, when possible/appropriate. Obviously we won't do this with all buildings, and atm I can't actually think of what buildings we'd do this for.... Perhaps the Visitors Lodge? That would work nicely, though I had planned some complex maneuvers where the player has to jump around various scaffolds and things to reach the sewer entrance. Still... that seems like the best candidate to me, I'd already considered teleporting a Rex over there while the player is inside part of the building, so that could be the creature to knock various pieces down. In fact I wouldn't want to allow raptors any demolishing privileges. I think I could script something like that... Hmmm sounds like another job for JPDS~testing, to me. Once I finally have time to work on that, I have several things I'd like to try out now. After I do that, we can actually release it to wet people's appetites... (also planning on a dinos-in-buildings test, which I'd already planned to create with 'lego blocks'.. sweet).

Anyways.. great idea. Perhaps it could even speed up production of JPDS... (thinking about the Lodge, here - it's been looking like a location that will take a while to build, but maybe not if I make it this way)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:Yeah I was thinking it would be good for just a few buildings, and either smaller buildings or just certain parts of large buildings...it would keep down the number of models in a level and be easier that way I think...

You know where else it might be cool. On one of the HS fences...have a spino break through one like in the movie
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

True, except that can't happen in JPDS1 because the spino isn't until JPDS2 (because the spino IS inside the HSP and you can't go in there until the next level, thank god....) I may definitely consider that for the next level, though. :) I've been hesitant on the idea because that happens in JP///, and I didn't want to ruin any sort of continuity... (plus, the spino can't follow the player out of the HSP until later, technically.. at least that's how it's set up so the spino shows up again in JPDS3)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

We could have some other dinosaur break a fence or something like that....

Actually, maybe we could have a dino run through some trees and have them scripted to fall over...?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Definately possible... there's evidense the Tres devs wanted all trees to be plow-able by the right dinos, I think they realized it was possible but too complex to implement on the scale they wanted, and they didn't have time to mess with it.

However, we could certainly do it. I was actually going to save that for JPDS2, when the Spino first appears.. he'll be knocking down trees left and right. I'll see if it's possible for someplace in JPDS1.. *makes mental note*
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Have something small being moveable in JPDS1 and then save the big stuff for 2
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sure maybe.. I'll think about it.