Misty Mountain - Comm Station

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Misty Mountain - Comm Station

Post by Draconisaurus »

This is the official thread for discussion on development of both the Misty Mountain environment and InGen Site B Station 002 - the Comm. Station.

I've posted some screens before of the comm. tower that I completed a bit ago. I've also got a concept for the whole station somewhere.. I post that in here when I get home. Anyway, the mountain's primary texture has been more or less finalized.. at first I used the gorge/mountain texture from Tres, as I used for Raptor Valley, but I desided I wanted it to be more original and far less blueish, more like the gray mountains you see in LOTR games.. so I came up with what you see now (a combo of 2 fully-tiling textures).

As far as history of the Comm. Station goes... it was built sometime shortly after the first Hillside Research Station buildings were started, in order to establish a permenant connection to the mainland.
Hammond: Shortly after we landed, we went up to the Summit to put up a crude satellite link.
Hammond: Technicians scrambled to set up (the antenna?) as the wind howled. High-speed uplink.. heh. State-of-the-art.
As you'll see in the concept art, it consists of a main tower, a maintenance shack, and a sort of main building where various communications operations are handled (including transfer of computer data). As suggested by my girlfriend, I'm also planning on a sort of outhouse on the far edge of the peak; I originally designed a certain spot in the terrain to be used for the comm. shack seen in the "control" trespasser concept, but its use became invalid when I established that the tower was at another spot of the mountain, and that a seperate building would be used for main communications ops (thus reducing the importance of a shack). So an outhouse might go quite well there. ^^; Now, this facility was used and, other than gradual upgrades to facilitate their growing facility, remained largely unchanged over the course of InGen's history on the island, making it around a decade old at the time of the evacuation. Afterwards, waiting for a while first in order to avoid being discovered, the Rogue Faction continued to use it for their own communications purposes, such as their first video conference with BioSyn's CEO Jeff Rossiter, and all further communication with BioSyn over their various arrangements for supplies and dealings.
By the time Tasha arrives on the island, it is less than a week after the RF's defeat by the Megaraptor break out, but somewhere along the line, the maintenance shed caught fire after a lightning strike, and no one was left around to put it out, so the comm. station is inoperable, since Tasha probably doesn't have the tools, and certainly not the know-how to fix it.
Thus, the Comm. Station's purpose/function in the game is not what the player expects; it does not allow them to contact the mainland as it does in trespasser. Actually, originally I was just going to annoy the player by having it serve no purpose at all, but I think now I'm going to supply useful hints about the EA and the RF here. I've also already written up some documents that can go here about when the RF members first stayed behind after the evacuation, actually clarifying some bits that even Mike and I were not sure of.

Alright well..! That's all I've got for this thread so far. I'll post my concept of the station as soon as I can.. and come to think of it, I should post a new concept art thread until we get our old one back.. K I'll do that later.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

And here is the concept image for it: