Dinosaur vocal limits

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

DemonCarnotaur
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Dinosaur vocal limits

Post by DemonCarnotaur »

We have run into a little problem, with the limit of 7 vocals. Lets take the time out to discuss the possible solutuons and the affects of this problem on level one. One of the possiblities is to "have triggers in the vicinity of the dinosaurs with no real vocal box connections that make their sounds instead"
This could affect what dinosaurs we will be using in this level. Here is the current list: Rex, RapB, Megarap, Para, Alberta, Trike, Stego, Brachio, Mamenchio, Dimetro, Dilo, Compy,Anky , and Galli. We had also planned an Amargosaurus but it does not look like we will be seeing that. Also the Trike is in desperate need of a makeover if we use it. Anyway we need input on what to do and what dinos to keep, so post away with any ideas or details I did not add.

-Chris
(Well, I was once part of the JPDS team)
- ChrisLikesDinos - JurassicOutpost - JurassicForums -
http://jurassicoutpost.com/
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

For now that workaround is all we've got to work with, we'll keep out fingers crossed I guess.

Some dinosaurs aren't as interactive as others - example, the brachio cannot be killed - thus, some random grunts fired by a trigger near or surrounding a brachio should make up for any sounds it would normally make. The same applies for many herbivores.

Triggers can also detect when a dinosaur dies, so if a dinosaur not connected to a Vocal Box dies - a trigger will say "hey, this dino is dead, so play the X-DinoIsDead sound now."
DemonCarnotaur
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by DemonCarnotaur »

K sounds good, but any ideas on what we should limit our dinosaur species list to?
(Well, I was once part of the JPDS team)
- ChrisLikesDinos - JurassicOutpost - JurassicForums -
http://jurassicoutpost.com/
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I have some exiting news. Actually Mike has it, I just get to post it before he does :D Here's what he told me concerning Big Red's ability to help:
[quote=Mike and Draco]Mike: i pmed Big Red about the dino int limit
Mike: he said he's already working on a fix, and it'll be in the next version as 'experimental'
Draco Astreus: nice, let's hope for the best heh
Draco Astreus: wwwwwait
Draco Astreus: he replied already???
Draco Astreus: he thinks he can do it?!??!?!?!!?!?!
Mike: twice
Mike: yes
Draco Astreus: FUCK this is sweet!!!!!!
Mike: "From what I can tell, the fatal error is caused by lack of memory management. The game will allocate a somewhat fixed amount of memory (~1.6 KBs*7) and use the integers for indexing into the buffer, the problem being that there is not check for limits.
Mike: "I am working on a workaround for this. I'm hoping to allocate a second buffer and divert values for Dinosaur = 7+ to write into it. I'm assuming a bit, but so far it's basically worked. It'll be in the next version of ATX, although I'm officially calling it "experimental"."
Draco Astreus: I was like 88% sure he would say "ah no way man that would take forever"
Mike: fortunately not
Draco Astreus: fucking sweet dude
Draco Astreus: I'll keep my dino vocal changes on hold till this sorts out
Draco Astreus: as it was it was looking like we would be required to make Galli sound like a Para o_o
Draco Astreus: cause Alberta pushed it off the list[/quote]
So there. :) We may be having as many new dinos as we want after all!!!!! :D
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

New ATX Version 1.36 fixes this problem, and some others ATX was causing us.

Big Red has really helped us along here, and was quite quick in doing so.

He also credited us in some documentation the current version includes.

So this Vocal Limit is (for the moment) no longer a problem!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

This is awesome indeed. 8) So let's see... the new current dinosaur list should be:
  • Raptor
  • TRex
  • Para
  • Alberta
  • Stego
  • Trike
  • Brachio
  • Dilo
  • Compy
  • Galli
  • Megaraptor
  • Dimetro