In-Game Cutscenes Now Possible

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

In-Game Cutscenes Now Possible

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~trescom/bo ... highlight=

Big Red created Action Type 105, which will play an SMK video when called upon and pause the game while it's playing.

So start thinkin' of some nice cutscene ideas, gentlemen :)
DemonCarnotaur
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by DemonCarnotaur »

That is great news! I cant wait to be back on the project real soon, theres a good chance I may be getting my new comp.

Anyway what are some of your cutscene ideas?
(Well, I was once part of the JPDS team)
- ChrisLikesDinos - JurassicOutpost - JurassicForums -
http://jurassicoutpost.com/
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Holy Crap this is great news!! Honestly I had pretty much abandoned the idea of in-game cut-scenes... however with this I'm reevaluating the whole idea. Maybe, like when you pick up some stuff in the EA, like a major plot-revealer, we can cut to a scene of it happening (like maybe the Megaraptor attack? hmmmm...). The transitions between levels don't really have any important stuff happening but yeah I think we can put these in somewhere...

Hey you know, I just thought of something. This could be used to create completely alternate endings to the game. I'm thinking you could put both actions in the same trigger, so that you play a cut-scene and then end the game immediately after (they'd need to be in the same trigger so you don't go back to the game after the cut-scene is done). And with this, the endgame cutscene would actually be just the Credits and not the final scene, you know. So yeah different end-game triggers could have different cut-scenes this way, which is really good, cause I was thinking we couldn't have alternate endings cause the all end-game triggers would show the same scene. So yeah this would make it much better. :) (I have a possible Stargate ending in mind from the Mayan city ;)).

Hmmmm so yeah, this opens up a lot of things to us, also it means there may be more high-detail modelling than I first expected, which will look great but may take a little longer.
Can't wait!!!!!!! :yes:
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Simple way to do alternate endings is to set specific parameters.

Make a trigger that will go off if you have a certain object in hand. That trigger can play an alternate ending and then (most likely) skip to the Credits (assuming we don't put anything besides maybe 1 frame of black screen into the WIN.SMK, which may not even be necissary).

I think you can also set the alternate ending trigger to go off if certain parameters have been filled within the level as well.

Heck, you may be able to animate a Stargate turning on, and then have it already activated when the cutscene ends.

Cutscenes will be lots of fun to mess around with. Not sure how much they'll raise the file size, though...

Regardless, I'm sure some (if not all extra cutscenes) could be taken out for a smaller version of the level.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

A note on the Stargate thing, Slugger is working with me to make a full-blown Stargate mod of Trespasser. I'm the modeller, right now it's in the early stages of planning and script development but we should be able to take advantage of it for JPDS, Slugger even thinks it'd be good for the SG mod, like an advertisement in JPDS :P
JPXTom
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by JPXTom »

Draconisaurus wrote:A note on the Stargate thing, Slugger is working with me to make a full-blown Stargate mod of Trespasser. I'm the modeller, right now it's in the early stages of planning and script development but we should be able to take advantage of it for JPDS, Slugger even thinks it'd be good for the SG mod, like an advertisement in JPDS :P
You mean using it's popularity to help ours out or something? Or vice-versa? And thats great with the news about ingame scenes, we surely wilkl be needing some for DS.