Island Maps

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Island Maps

Post by Draconisaurus »

In here, all maps for game layout that I have drawn thus far will be posted. So far the only maps have been for the entire game, but other maps will become necessary for certain areas and buildings and such. Feel free to post a map you have made here if you want, either of an undeveloped area or of an undesigned building. Feel free to design buildings that have not been designated previously on the original maps!! We can always use more stuff. Keep in mind that some buildings or areas will eventually get their own threads, so check to make sure the building/area in question does not already have one.

Here is Map 1, which I made during German and Chemistry class one day, showing a very basic layout of how the game was to be set up. It correlates exactly to the events described in the first plot. As you can see, it is very linear, something which we moved away from later.

Map 2 was drawn on my recent visit to Colorado, while in the car. I'm actually pretty good at drawing in moving vehicles. 8) It's a much simpler version but it was up-to-date with minor plot changes we were making at the time, plus some stuff was generally moved around. One major addition in this map was the Pterandon Aviary, which Chris and I realized would be an awesome JP/// addition to the game, especially making full use of Tres's fog effects. This also introduced the River, and Chris noticed in screenshots of the EA (Embryonics Administration) that there appeared to be something like a river or a road. We decided it was a river and I attempted to add it in the map. Later I realized it really cut into the mountain we saw next to the EA and I had to move it. Also I tried to have the Aviary's entrance nearby the fence, so we could have the exact same spot in that level. An addendum I made to the map a few days later was the Runway from the beginning of JP///, which I realized would be cool to have.

Then came Map 3. The most recent and by far the most detailed, I pretty much consider everything that is on this map to be final, though many things not shown will still be present. It was made in conjunction with the newest version of the plot and encorperates ideas for the levels I had had in mind even with the other maps but did not include. One change I made was to move the helicopter crash site to the left of the map; this way, the player has to go all the way to the EA first, then go across the paddock, etc. so they can do a lot of exploring on the island before they get to the first big plot element. Much of this stuff has little or no importance to the plot of the Rogue Faction, but it does develop the concept of what used to go on at Site B. Also, the colored lines indicate the level divisions. Tom convinced me that our level was way too big for one level and should be even more than 2 levels like I wanted, so I prodded my imagination and figured out a way to divvy it up into 3 parts (indicated by the colored lines). The first level ends when you enter the Hazardous Species Paddock (once inside, you can't go back out). The second level is a different story, one that we are still working on. The idea is that there are two ways to get off the island. One way is to go through the entrance in the big concrete barrier, which is supposed to be like the ones you find in Tres. This barrier actually bridges the gap in a long ridge I made that seperates level 2 from level 3. The other way to get off the island is by going to the Aviary (which we have considered making its own level, if we need it for the fog effect), and once you get out, hitching a ride on a boat identical to the one used in JP///, which would be the start of level 3. Now there's the problem: 2 different starting locations. As far as I know you can easily have 2 level ending locations, but it will always begin where the Anne objects are. To solve this, I have the idea that we could create 2, identical versions of level 3, with different names, with the only difference being that the Anne objects are just out of the Aviary instead of at the concrete barrier. There are lots of other new things here, most of which have yet to be further developed, though I have ideas for most of them. As I've said before, the new worker village will be based on the concept art and models from TLW DVD bonus features. If you look closely I have even figured out the map of the town. On the map, light-shaded solid lines are roads like in Tres, and dotted lines show where power lines go.

These are the maps I have done so far. There probably won't be anymore comprehensive maps of the whole thing, unless I make some with Max and Photoshop, which I probably will eventually. More maps will be made soon! And of course, discuss maps here and... make your own! :)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

/:Code/RUNTIME-error.d4/

Post Return Unavailable

<9/124-3>
Last edited by Second Illiteration on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Yeah. Actually, Drac... SI had very similar ideas that could probably fit well here.

Great maps by the way. Very detailed... I'm lookin' forward to helpin' out :D
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

MikeTheRaptor wrote:Yeah. Actually, Drac... SI had very similar ideas that could probably fit well here.

Great maps by the way. Very detailed... I'm lookin' forward to helpin' out :D
Thanks! :D

SI, what are these ideas you have for the unfinished hotel? I basically took the idea of hotels for traveling scientists from Trespasser, where you find the foundations and the big sign that shows you what they were supposed to look like, but I was thinking it would be cool if the hotel was partially completed, not just foundations. So what's your idea? :)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

/:Code/RUNTIME-error.d4/

Post Return Unavailable

<9/124-3>
Last edited by Second Illiteration on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Second Illiteration wrote:...outside would be a pool and a tennis court, you know hotel kind of things.....and maybe something with a big lobby, something a dinosaur could fit into :wink:
Dinos in lobbies, hmmm we'll see. :wink: But yeah I'm thinking a nice relaxing looking place would be good, not too vacationish though cause it is supposed to be mainly for company execs and visiting scientists. Hmmm maybe there can be a sort of mini museum inside for display...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well it's been a while since anyone posted in the Island Maps thread (maybe because there haven't really been any new maps, actually there have but they were really too big to host unless they were shrunken too small) so here is the latest:

Of course the terrain for JPDS has constantly been evolving for level 1 (can't wait for the other levels....) but I believe the terrain as appears exported is now nearly the same as it will be at release. There's still plenty of fine-detail work to do on it and the mountain range surrounding the EA hasn't been completed yet, but still it's pretty much the way it's going to be. Also recently, it seems like people are forgetting what the game looks like (getting lost in TresEd etc. :wink: :P) so I decided it was time to reinterate the overall layout of JPDS. Everyone should become extremely familiar with this; learn it like your ABC's. The reason I have it so well memorized is obviously both because I created/edited it to its current state and constantly work with it, so navigation in JPDS comes naturally to me. However to edit the level, when the time comes that most people on this project will be able to do so, you need a very very fine comprehension of where everything is and how to get to anyplace else from where you are. One handy way to do this incase of emergency ;) is to do a search for the location's keyword like "HRS" or "Hotel" and you'll either come up with the location's CTeleport object or another object in that location. Still you shouldn't rely too heavily on this, as not everywhere has a teleport box, and you may forget some of the abbreviations (like CommTwr). So, study the following map well!!!! I made it in PS in about an hour. Hope it helps everyone. :)

JPXTom
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by JPXTom »

Draconisaurus wrote:Well it's been a while since anyone posted in the Island Maps thread (maybe because there haven't really been any new maps, actually there have but they were really too big to host unless they were shrunken too small) so here is the latest:

Of course the terrain for JPDS has constantly been evolving for level 1 (can't wait for the other levels....) but I believe the terrain as appears exported is now nearly the same as it will be at release. There's still plenty of fine-detail work to do on it and the mountain range surrounding the EA hasn't been completed yet, but still it's pretty much the way it's going to be. Also recently, it seems like people are forgetting what the game looks like (getting lost in TresEd etc. :wink: :P) so I decided it was time to reinterate the overall layout of JPDS. Everyone should become extremely familiar with this; learn it like your ABC's. The reason I have it so well memorized is obviously both because I created/edited it to its current state and constantly work with it, so navigation in JPDS comes naturally to me. However to edit the level, when the time comes that most people on this project will be able to do so, you need a very very fine comprehension of where everything is and how to get to anyplace else from where you are. One handy way to do this incase of emergency ;) is to do a search for the location's keyword like "HRS" or "Hotel" and you'll either come up with the location's CTeleport object or another object in that location. Still you shouldn't rely too heavily on this, as not everywhere has a teleport box, and you may forget some of the abbreviations (like CommTwr). So, study the following map well!!!! I made it in PS in about an hour. Hope it helps everyone. :)

Wow, nice work on the map there...And I am back..sorry, I had lost my password and stuff for a while..