EA InGen Net GUI (graphical user interface)

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

EA InGen Net GUI (graphical user interface)

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, this is the official thread for discussing the new topic of computer system graphics to be used for the EA computers. I've actually decided these will be used anywhere there is a computer interface on the island; as far as I can think, the only place this will really be set up in JPDS1 is the EA. I'm considering having a limited interface in the Site B Runway control center, cause I think that'd be neat and it would make sence, so monitoring of incoming/outgoing supplies to/from the island could be monitored from anywhere. Supplies would come from both the runway in the North and the Main Harbor in the South, so this way they could be coordinated through the same system. Hmmmm now that I think of it, Mike's Sewer Control Room (or w/e he called it :P) is connected with the island security system; the computers in the EA have access to all cameras on the island, including those in the sewer system. So the computers in its control room should have access to this network as well.

This all started when Mitchell/KillerBee256 suggested using videos from TLW game for PS1 that represent the InGen computer system on Site B. They look really cool and he thought it'd be neat to impliment them for our menu somehow. Since we already have a perfectly good menu done up, thanks to TrikeUatra, this obviously isn't necessary. However, I decided that it could be an opportunity to do something fancy for the computers in the EA. So far, all trespasser games/mods have featured fairly out-dated computer systems. This is inspired by the book timeline. In the 1993 movie of Jurassic Park however, the computer interface system is significantly more complex than could be achieved in an older timeline. Since JPDS is based heavily on the movies, this is the level of technology we will be featuring. So I've hired Trike to develop a complete interface system to be used, which we'll impliment using animated textures on various computer screens throughout the EA and other locations. This also means that work on this part of the level will carry directly into JPDS2 and JPDS3. (BTW we'll be enlisting Slugger's help quite a bit in getting the animated texture sequences to work correctly - that's gonna be fun! heh)

Some things that will be included in the interface system are:
  • Interactive map display of Site B
    1. Active radio transmitters
    2. Sewer system overlay
    3. Power distribution monitoring/active power plants
    4. Electrified Fence monitoring
    5. Location analysis (raw data display)
    6. EA facility map override (displays zoomed map of EA instead of island)
  • Comprehensive security grid access
  • Security door lockdown protocal (used to open critical location areas with emergency locks, was activated during attack)
  • Weather monitor system
  • Internal communications network (used within the EA only)
  • Dinosaur biological database
Well that's all I've got for now, we'll probably add more later. Anyone's free to add a suggestion if they have one. :) Another idea is that some of these systems will require computer clearance, which the player will need to find certain things for. This could either be in the form of a password or security card swipe. Heheh.. we could also include a top-secret file access, that requires a retinal scan that has been set to Andre Halvorson. The player would be required to bring his severed head to the control room and place it in front of the scanner. There goes the game rating... XD
Last edited by Draconisaurus on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright here are some inspirational images for the GUI (some are from TLW PS1 game, while some are from other JP games)

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

(images courtesy of Ryan Eaglesfield)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Cool stuff...I think one of the computers as an easter egg, should have the trespasser menu screen on it or something like that...

and there's an acro in one of those pics....I have one you know...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Heh you have an Acro for Tres? Fun... actually that's one thing I'll add to the list above. Dinosaur biological database. Info on each dinosaur cloned by InGen.... hmm it should probably also include dinosaurs cloned only by the RF. I bet they would keep the computers up-to-date with that sort of thing. I wonder if they have a link to a BioSyn network established...

Oh and I have been browsing through the AVIs for TLW PS1 game and found these "environment" statistics that may be useful:
  • Geothermic Pressure
  • Wind Velocity
  • Precipitation
  • Air Pressure
  • Carbon Dioxide
  • Median Temperature
  • Water Table Salinity
  • Seismic Activity
Some of these are kinda abstract and might not be as useful.. but yeah. Some good ideas. Also environmental statistics will probably need to be linked to the ability to specify what area you're talking about.. including out to sea. Storms and that kinda thing. So anyway yeah, that's all I got for now.

Oh and the idea about the tres menu on one of the computers for an easter egg is perfect :lol: I could either put it on an out-of-the-way computer in one of the labs or something.. oooorr.. I could stick it on the computer in one of the trescom member rooms. Lol who knows.
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

Great ideas :) Love the Easter egg idea (Speaking of the menu - I have an AT31 Screen for you, Drac ;)), and the Species Database!

Just like we planned to put in the link to Nublar's network, I could put a Biosyn link in with the same 'Unable to establish connection'. Perhaps after the RF's evac. Biosyn pulled the plug on their links...?

I think some of these things;
* Geothermic Pressure
* Wind Velocity
* Precipitation
* Air Pressure
* Carbon Dioxide
* Median Temperature
* Water Table Salinity
* Seismic Activity
would be best placed in the Location Analysis Mode of the map. And some of them could go in the Weather Monitor. What do you think?

Checklist for what we'll need to be able to make the system...
  • Overhead outline of Isla Sorna
    Overhead outline of all building/structure locations on Sorna
    Split the island (and surrounding sea areas maybe) into sections for the location analysis
    Any specific values for the data (Geo. Pressure, Wind Velocity etc.) if needed
    Any other raw data for the Location Analysis
    Any specific weather conditions to be shown over certain parts of the island?
    List of all dino species to be in the database, along with an image and basic data (size, diet, hazard level, perhaps?)
    Map of the powerlines (including which are on/off)
    Map of the sewer
    List of security camera locations
    Definite fence locations (not to pinpoint location... but the general areas that will be surrounded by fences)
That's all I can think of right now...

Not sure what the Internal Comm. in the EA is... what exactly would that look like?

Along with the security cam locations we could have a screenshot of what the camera's that are working are currently looking at. Others could just be static when accessed...

What would be included in the Security Grid access (beside cctv)? The ability to see what is locked and unlocked and to change certain ones?

And I'm guessing the Security door lockdown protocol screen will just be an "Activated" message, along with a big 'Reverse' or 'Restore' button?

Oh yeah... would it be possible for me to get a copy of those AVIs? I have the game, but I'd rather have the videos on my computer so I can get more still looks at them... :)

Nothing else comes to mind right now...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'd just like to raise a suggestion - what about an employee database in the system? Besides known characters mentioned any way in the game, we could include profiles for ourselves. Another sort of easter egg. :D The only drawback is it means even more textures to load the SWP with, especially if we load the system with a logically extensive list of employees.. (inotherwords only listing the ones we wanted to wouldn't seem logical). Let me know what you guys think...