JP: Dark Secrets - Old Thread (updates Dec. 04 - March 07)

Released! - Discuss progress and updates on the biggest Trespasser level endeavor ever, JPDS - a dark Tres mod by Draco and co.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

JP: Dark Secrets - Old Thread (updates Dec. 04 - March 07)

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey everyone! :) I'm new to this stuff (though I'm a huge JP fan), however I'm not new to 3D graphics and I've been doing 3D stuff for over 2 years now in 3ds MAX (now ver. 5). Usually I make Star Trek models, sometimes a Stargate model or two (as well as animations with them) but in the last few months I've been doing lots of other stuff including some JP things. A few days ago, my friend JPXTom and I were talking about this game JP Trespasser and we decided that we should make our own version like others do. After careful thought I came up with a plot having to do mainly with the Embryonics Administration from JP/// and the origins of the Spino, and Tom coined the name "Jurassic Park: Dark Secrets". We know it'll take a while as much of this is new to both of us, but we'll do what we need to to make it an awesome game. (Also I am a computer programmer so hopefully my skills there will come in handy as well)

First on the agenda (for me anyway) is modeling the Spinosaurus himself. I've never made a model in tris before (usually work in quads) so it's very interesting to see how it works, though I'm learning it's not that hard. Also my experience until recently has mostly been with ships and things (inanimate), so organic modeling is fun to work with, and a lot less exacting. I've been modeling Spiny ontop of an orthographic reference I found and here is progress on him so far:

So that's him. Arms and legs will come soon, right now I trying to figure out how to make the part that the teeth will be textured on... that is once I figure out HOW to texture for a game model, heh. Updates on this soon, any help greatly appreciated!! :)
Last edited by Draconisaurus on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:46 am, edited 23 times in total.
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

Perhaps you could figure out a way to do a version of your level for trespasser?
JPXTom
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by JPXTom »

Tahts what we are doing, we jsut need help wiht puttin like a skin over it...I see them as bmp. files, for the other models, we need to know how to do that..
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Lookin' good. :yes:

Welcome to TresCom.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
-=TresCom Administrator=-

Post by Nem »

Yep, looking good. Good luck with your level and your Spino. :)
guilherme
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by guilherme »

Realy cool man...
I will ask you for some help.
for a lot of time I was trying to find the way to to this.
I dono how to do a model with an image behind, and 3ds max make the model almost automatic.
just make lines and the model is done. I'll ask you for some of your time...
can I ... LOL::: ;)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks for the compliments everyone! An update on this guy should come later today or tomorrow. :wink:
guilherme wrote:Realy cool man...
I will ask you for some help.
for a lot of time I was trying to find the way to to this.
I dono how to do a model with an image behind, and 3ds max make the model almost automatic.
just make lines and the model is done. I'll ask you for some of your time...
can I ... LOL::: ;)
LOL, yeah it's not that difficult, if u know how to use the materials editor well. Normally to do this, all you have to do is make a plane that has dimensions with similar ratios to the size of the image you want to put on it. In the materials editor, choose the image you want to model on as the bitmap for your diffuse color, then turn self-illumination to 100 so it shows up well, and apply it to the plane you made. In the case with Spino, there is something even better I learned that you can do if you want. I didn't render it this way, but my Spino actually has a that image as a texture, so I could render him in 3D and he would look like he had the Spino's skin from the image, though it's not good enough for a final product. I did this by first making a BOX instead of a plane for the image to be on, then UVW mapped it as a planar map. I then cloned that box, gave it length, width, and height segments to model with, and used Edit Mesh from there. DO NOT scale the mesh outside of Edit Mesh or you'll mess up the UVW. There that should work for u. :)
guilherme
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by guilherme »

hum, thanks.
So this is for 2D lines. Passing this for 3d I supose I need to use other plane with other image and so on pull vertices to image vertices.
well I'll try to do something and I'll pass it to here If I can.
Thanks a lot
TyrannosaurusMatt
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TyrannosaurusMatt »

I know U two. Over at JPtoys.com Forum. Hi and good luck with your project, :yes: (love this similie)
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

If you guys are making a spino, why not make some other intresting dinos? Maybe ankylosaurs, or ceratosaurs? Something intresting for the level other then a spino? (Not that a spino isn't intresting, its something remdul didn't even do)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Yep we (I) will be making other dinos for this game, I believe so far a new Brachiosaur, a Triceratops, an Ankylosaur, a Carnotaur, a new Rex, and a Utahraptor have been planned for the game. Not all will be made immediately but hopefully I can crank those out sooner or later. :wink: Also I'd like to do a Megaraptor instead of a Utahraptor, we'll see....
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

To make a megaraptor, (notice my user name?) all you need to do is make a bigger version of another raptor.
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

just use an alpha raptor.
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

It isn't big enough. It has to be about half the size of a t-rex to be the size of a megaraptor.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

OK well maybe I'll do a Utah then... :P